Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2002 10:40:49 PM EDT
This is coming up on two boards i belong to and i wanted your help to see if this guy is for real or not.
Two of my brothers served and if this guy is not legit i would really like to know.
It is a deplorable act to pretend to be a vet who fought over and did not.
[url]http://www.hardcoretalk.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=38&t=003024&p=[/url]
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like bullshit!
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Here's yer answer:
Sorry, I can't answer that. I am not the person in that story. I received it in an e-mail. I guess it is a bit ambiguos. Most folks here know that I never had the honor of serving in the military.

The person that sent me that is real and you may have seen him on other boards. He goes by SgtMajor. He did not want the attention. It was such a good story, I had to post it.
View Quote
View Quote

I know the guy that posted this is not the guy that wrote the story,we are trying to determine if the guy "SgtMajor" is for real.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 1:57:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I know the guy that posted this is not the guy that wrote the story,we are trying to determine if the guy "SgtMajor" is for real.
View Quote

As real as the tooth fairy...

I wasn't even born yet. Still, I have ran across enough BS artists to notice the same trend: Tie in known figures from that period (i.e. Hathcock) with a BS scenario observed recently (in this case I think this guy must have watched the movie "Spygames.) Throw in a little paranoid, "the shit was all too classified to talk about" and have enough historical inaccuracies and condescending technical talk (Hathcocks big thing was always that the sniper was first and foremost a scout - they were all about support for conventional infantry (and why would you train a sniper on so many different weapons?), not "black ops" - and c'mon even my grandmother knows what a boonie hat is - but he assumed the reader knows about wespons used in "black ops"??) then, pretend to "not want the attention".

Stir it up a bit and you have the perfect recipe for BULLSHIT!!

Adam
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 2:12:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 3:40:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Not a Vietnam veteran, but have known quite a few, so here are the dead give-aways that this guy is a deplorable POS:

His specialty was long distance shooting of the type never before attempted in what was then modern warfare.
View Quote

Bullshit, long range sniping has been around a long, long time.  

During summer vacation, many of us went to Boot camp at Parris Island MCRD in San Diego, in California.
View Quote

Last time I checked, Parris Island was in South Carolina.

In 1964, I, along with 5 others, which formed 2, 3-man teams where flown to Bangkok, Thailand to commence even for, hands on training.
View Quote

A.  Scout-snipers normally operated in 2-man teams, and were trained as such.

B.  (Just from logic here) Why the Hell are they training in Thailand and not stateside or in Vietnam?

One of the older guys smiled and told us to hop in and we did, and we went about 2 miles (we got used to, from then on, using the term click/s for kilometers)
View Quote

Why is this guy explaining shit that anybody who has seen a poorly-done Vietnam War movie would know?

Well, mine was shaving the sides of my head and leaving a 4 inch wide “Mohawk”, doing mediation, and 100 sit-ups and push-ups as fast as I could, and then smoke a “joint” of the best “weed” that was available and settle in for transport to my next LZ.
View Quote

Yeah, I can totally see a professional Marine (black ops no less [rolleyes]) about to go into combat getting high.  After all, he's so good that he doesn't need all his wits about him to survive.  This thing reads like a bad sequel to [i]Platoon[/i].

As I said we were allowed to use any weapon that was available back at the “hotel”, and so I picked a .308 that had a barrel that was 48 inches long (stock M14 was 44 ¼) and had a 1-14in. twist. A 5 shot clip and an experimental (at that time) Tasco 16X42 scope that was about 20 in. long.
View Quote

48 inch [red]barrel[/red]?  5-shot [red]clip[/red]?  Tasco that is 20 inches long?

I was firing a 150 grn. slug (bullet), that exited at about 2, 800 fps.
View Quote

NATO standard is 147 grains.  I can't remember now what the Lake City precision load is, either 165 or 168 grns.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 3:58:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Ammo1015 here,Call Sign Lease Breaker.
USMC 26th Marines july 66-Mar - 68
Total B_S. this guy is a nut case.Most of the time we couldn,t even shoot charlie. we could throw rocks and holler out a bunch of profanities about their mother.But that was about it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Reads like one of those very bad Nam books.

BTW, LC 7.62 NATO Special Purpose ammo is 173 grains.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 4:10:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Reads like one of those very bad Nam books.

BTW, LC 7.62 NATO Special Purpose ammo is 173 grains.
View Quote

Thanks, knew it was heavier than 150.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Just a guess but I'd say this was written by a kid.

Only thing interesting is the underground room he describes was a communications facility type that did exist.  Can't imagine running ops out of one though................
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 4:15:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ammo1015 here,Call Sign Lease Breaker.
USMC 26th Marines july 66-Mar - 68
Total B_S. this guy is a nut case.Most of the time we couldn,t even shoot charlie. we could throw rocks and holler out a bunch of profanities about their mother.But that was about it.
View Quote

Yes, but you were in the actual MARINES. This guy had gone beyond that petty USMC stuff and joined the best of the best, the type that make the Men in Black look like lightweights, the [u]S[/u]ecret [u]E[/u]lite [u]A[/u]ll-purpose[u] L[/u]ong-range[u] S[/u]nipers! There stuff was real hush-hush, odds are, nobody around today remembers it - most were killed off in internal rivalries after funding was cut in the mid-70s. They mostly did a lot of wetworks throughout the third world - places where Uncle Sam didn't want people to know we were even at!

I only know this because a brave soul that must have been in his same unit told it all to me at a rifle range one day. He hadn't told anyone since 'Nam - guess I was just in the right place at the right time.

Of course, the guy I met used a 62" barrel. Must have saved the longer barrels for the more experiences guys - since this guy had actually joined in the late '50s. Apparently, the longer barrels were also of some top-secret metal (I think he called it atomantium?). He wasn't sure why they quit making barrels so long when I asked him - he figured they were still in use by black ops units, and that the technology hadn't been released yet to other people.

If I am not mistaken, this guy also workes in retail security.

Hey, has anyone pointed out this thread to Juggernaut?
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I can't believe anyone would actually buy this crap.

I'm suprised he didn't use one of the "top secret","experimental" mini-14s of the era.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 5:11:34 AM EDT
[#14]
They musta moved Paris Island....LOL
This is one of the more pathetic bs stories I have ever heard ...and having worked in VA groups many years ago I have heard some real doozies...
This one is 100% unadulterated lie....
My guess is the author wrote this to be a pretty obvious bs story for troll type entertainment
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 6:00:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks, knew it was heavier than 150.
View Quote

No problem, I'm reading the info off the box.

For future reference:
7.62 MM NATO, M118, LOT LC XX-XX, MATCH, Bullet 173 grains, Velocity 2550 FPS

2800fps out of a 48" BBl  (I made that part up)

Link Posted: 8/17/2002 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#16]
There may be a grain of truth in there...

AFter reading the post, assuming the original author actually served, I think he pulled guard duty at some intel site or another, maybe actually in Thailand, and had so much time on his hands wondering what was actually going on in those vans and bunkers, he developed an elaborate fantasy.

During my military service, I did work with the occasional ASA vet from the Vietnam era who had a classified medal (including one with a classified Silver Star) and many folks who still couldn't talk about certain places and things that they participated in, but that was within the intel community. The "real" secrets from that era never involve mall-ninja derring-do.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 6:51:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I have an interesting but true story form my dad who was getting his MD training in the army in the late 70's.  He had to do patient evaluations at the VA hospitals.  They had a very old fella who spoke only Spanish and was a vet from the Spanish-American War.  After checking him over for whatever ailments the guy had, they got an interpreter to ask where he served.  Turns out this patient somehow got VA benefits, but he fought for the other side!  I think he was in his 90's and my dad to this day gets tickeled every time he tells the story.  Just my little tid bit of a story and thought you guys would get a kick out of it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like B grade bullshit to me.  It was written by someone who had seen too many movies.  I would guess it was written by a wannabe garret trooper or a kid.

Redmanfm hit on a lot of the inaccuracies in the story.  Also, as a vet I would not think a real vet would tell a story like that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#19]
[puke]

I got about half way through the story and I hurt from laughing and had to stop.  Definate BS.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I was in the Nam.  Tough man.  1000 ways to die fast.  You needed your wits - and a cold eye.

The first thing you need is the right equipment.  Well, I came equiped with the best.  Visa Platimum, American Express, you name it.  All full auto and high capacity you bet.  Sometimes in the middle of all out action that Visa would start to smoke.  Had to pour some beer on it to cool it down.  My buddie lost a fingernail when he slammed his on the table too hard.  Tough.  

Man I'll tell ya, them maniac scooter drivers will KILL you.  Yeah, traffics a bitch.   At the stop lights, ya got four way traffic.  Problem is, all four lanes in each  direction is full waiting for the light.  Madness.  Lost a friend to it.  Yup, he crossed too early.   Couldn't find him for about 4 bars.  Can't say more about that night since it's sealed now.  But I'll tell ya more  in a private email.

But you want tough?  Just try and get a taxi.  Murder.  Man has it tough there just  getting a drink without some hottie grabbing his elbow.  I almost spilled my drink about 5 times.

You guys don't know.  This all happened in Ho Chi Minh city in 2001.  NOW things are easy.  But back then - whew.

Link Posted: 8/17/2002 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#21]

During summer vacation, many of us went to Boot camp at Parris Island MCRD in San Diego, in California.
View Quote

As others have already pointed out, the geography is a bit off, like by 1400 miles.  The Parris Island I went to is in SC.  MCRD San Diego was where they made "Hollywood Marines".  [wink]

Noah
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I know of a guy who did serve in Vietnam, then when he got home started a 35 year lie that he was a POW! Spoke in churches about it, went to POW conventions, etc. He was eventually found out to be the bogus POS that he is. I have a REAL problem with these posing s**tbags! There are way too many REAL POW's (and vets) that went through pure hell and came back to a country that spat on them, calling them "baby killers". I see red at the way we have treated our Vietnam veterans.
Thanks to ALL war veterans, I am proud to say I know many.
AB
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

They did! It was part of the "Philadelphia Experiment".  At least that is what Big Foot said.  He also said the Loch Ness Monster, i.e., "Nessy"  is a tease.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#24]
If anyone is interested in reading some really cool stories, pick up the book War Stories Of The Green Berets : The Vietnam Experience written by Hans Halberstadt. I did and I'll be damned, I couldn't put it down until I read it cover to cover. I have since read it again and again and again. I don't know if this book has any BS stories in it or not, but theere are many hair raising stories told by actual men who were there and their names are attached to each story.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

They did! It was part of the "Philadelphia Experiment".  At least that is what Big Foot said.  He also said the Loch Ness Monster, i.e., "Nessy"  is a tease.
View Quote

Yes, but you forgot to point out that they didn't intend to move Paris Island - that was just one of the many horrible side effects of that experiment. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Yes, but you forgot to point out that they didn't intend to move Paris Island - that was just one of the many horrible side effects of that experiment. [rolleyes]
View Quote

Oh yea, I forgot.  I also need to mention the guys running this were the same guys that faked the moon landing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top