Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2002 9:54:33 PM EDT
I'm transfering in May and the most likely destination right now is California.

I know they've got some pretty strict gun laws down there, but I frankly never paid attention to them before because they didn't apply to me.

Any good web sites that explain what the laws are?  Am I allowed to bring in my evil "assault rifle"?  Any exceptions to the laws for active duty military stationed there against their will?

Link Posted: 8/16/2002 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]
sorry to hear that..

AR15.com should have an "AID" Packet to those going behind the lines...

of course I could always take care of those AW for you...

Link Posted: 8/16/2002 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Any good web sites that explain what the laws are?  Am I allowed to bring in my evil "assault rifle"?  Any exceptions to the laws for active duty military stationed there against their will?

View Quote

If you were "just" a civilian, you wouldn't be allowed to bring it into the state. I'm not sure how being active duty military changes that. I seem to recall there are exceptions for that, but you should probably contact the provost marshall's office where you'll be stationed. If they aren't much help, see if there's a rod and gun club on base and contact them for answers.

And you could always go here:

[url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/index.html[/url]

They have some FAQ sections that might be of help.

Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Might be moving to California. What do I need to know?
View Quote

Only politicians and hollyweird stars are allowed to carry guns. Don't get your hopes up.  Sorry to hear you are being transferred to the kali-ban.  

Man I crawled out of kali, then slowly evolved into walking on my hind legs, plus my forehead got a little smaller and my brow's weren't so pronounced.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 1:40:33 AM EDT
[#5]
jsprag,

AMHsix asked this same question yesterday- [url=http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=139470&page=1]link[/url] .

You can bring in your ARs and AKs if you are active duty military and PCSing into California.

You just need to fill out a form, pay $73.00, submit a copy of your orders, and the Cal-DOJ will issue you an assault weapons permit.

You will have to renew the permit every year.

I found the info [url=www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66751]here[/url]

and, this is what the AW permit looks like:

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid23/pd04dac8426c1d3acefa7b9b47947c549/fd9c8c16.jpg[/img]

It is hard to read, but I think this is what it says:
Issued for the purpose of personal possession and/or transportation only under the express conditions of Penal Code section [illegible] of the specified assault weapons during the course of permanent stationing in the State of California on active military duty.

This permit is valid until the expiration date specified below or the termination of permanent active duty military stationing in the State of California, whichever occurs first.

Notify the DOJ in writing within 10 days of any changes of information [illegible] on Application for Assault Weapons Permit, of termination of permanent active duty military stationing in the State of California or of any disposal/relinquishment of a permitted assault weapon.  Please submit your written notification to Department of Justice, Firearms Licensing and Permits Unit – MAWP. P.O. Box 820200, Sacramento, CA 94203-0200
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Grease the 'ol "bunghole"
AB
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#7]
basically the law is something like this ... if any of your guns are fun to shoot and look cool they are not allowed!
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Just make sure none of the mags you bring with you hold over 10rds or you will be in deep dodo.

THISISME
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#9]
California, Leave all your rights & freedom at the boarder.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sorry but Kali just sucks the big one. I've never been there and hate to form an opinion from propaganda but....I have literally no desire what so ever to go there to visit or live. I would end up in the pen...sorry[sleep]
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Deadeye47,

Though I'd never live there, I've had to spend around 6 months total there for work, and aside from the race riots, mudslides, earthquakes, brushfires, and worst traffic any hour of the day or night, there are alot of pluses to that state.

No joking intended, though their gun laws blow, I find it a very interesting state. Even L.A. itself has alot to offer, from the babes and bizarre people on Venice beach every day handing out their own versions of the 10 commandments to passing strangers, to the bizarre things you can see in Hollywood, to the awesome solitude of the mountains a couple hours drive north.  San Fransisco is one of the coolest cities on the planet.  And Yosemite is amazing.  If it weren't for their horrible gun laws, and earthquakes, I could live with the rest.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Grease the 'ol "bunghole"
AB
View Quote

[>:/]

Link Posted: 8/17/2002 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]
You need to know how to make a quick "U" turn at the border.

Kalifornia has a Fruit inspection at the border, if you don't pass the inspection, call you new CO and explain why you can't enter the SPRK.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Learn Spanish and know your Miranda rights.

Both will come in handy.

They have laws you've never heard of, until you break one. Like, it's illegal to eat an ice cream cone in public, in the city of Laguna beach. I'm not lying about that one either.

Get ready..you're about to enter the Twilight zone!
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#17]
The biggies are:

No assault weapons allowed unless they were registered before Dec 31, 2000.

All handguns brought into Ca have to be registered within XX days (I don't remember the number). Each handgun costs about $20 to register.

Never travel with a loaded gun (ammo attached to or inside the gun in any way is considered loaded).

When traveling, handguns must be unloaded and in a locked case (not a glove compartment). Long guns do not have to be locked up, only unloaded.

There is no such thing as a private sale. All sales have to go through a licensed dealer.

The purchase of any gun that fires cartridges requires registration and waiting period (DROS). Many dealers also require DROS for black powder guns to keep from being endlessly hassled by the firearms enforcement division of the local police departments.

When purchasing any gun, you will be required to purchase an expensive CA-approved trigger lock. You are exempt if you can show a receipt for purchase of a UL-approved gun safe.

Forget about CCW unless you are a multi-millionaire contributor to the Democratic party, or live in a rural county with a very understanding Sheriff (very few of those).
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#18]
DON'T MOVE !!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top