Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2002 10:54:37 AM EDT
now that lasik is so popular does the military offer it to correct the vision of its soldiers?

Seems it would be a great thing for the military.imagine no losing galsses while in battle.

Is it offered in the military?
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I can only speak for the Navy but, as of now, Lasik is not an authorized procedure within the US Navy. The Navy does perform PRK vision correction but not Lasik. In addition to that, Lasik surgery is a disqualification in a number of warfare communities. You can, at your own expense, have Lasik performed on the outside but you must first obtain a waiver from the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery and the Bureau of Personnel. Be warned that, if you do have Lasik performed, you may be medically disqualified from certain warfare specialties. I belive the Military in whole has yet to adopt Lasik based on the lack of long term data regarding its effectiveness...PRK, on the other hand, is widely performed mby the military and is not a disqualifying factor in nearly all warfare specialties.....You should check with the specific branches of the service...
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#2]
ChrisLe, What is PRK?  I assume not People's Republic of Kali.  I'm not familiar with this term as I am a civilian.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#3]
LASIK is legal for the Army.  They're even considering offering it to soldiers, during or after basic training and on active duty.  LASIK has proven itself safe and effective over HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of procedures and years of testing before that.  It's seen as a cheap alternative to issuing every other soldier five pairs of BCGs and two pairs of protective mask inserts (which don't work anyway).

Edited to add:  NOT APPROVED FOR PILOTS and other specialty skills.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ChrisLe, What is PRK?  I assume not People's Republic of Kali.  I'm not familiar with this term as I am a civilian.
View Quote

Actually, its a civilian acronym. Had the military named it it would have been much worse.[:D]
Here's a link that explains PRK and the other various procedures. Hope this helps..

[url]http://www.neweye.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
LASIK is legal for the Army.  They're even considering offering it to soldiers, during or after basic training and on active duty.  LASIK has proven itself safe and effective over HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of procedures and years of testing before that.  It's seen as a cheap alternative to issuing every other soldier five pairs of BCGs and two pairs of protective mask inserts (which don't work anyway).

Edited to add:  NOT APPROVED FOR PILOTS and other specialty skills.
View Quote

SJSSAmple,

I wasn't arguing the effectiveness of Lasik (I've had it done on myself) just reiterating the Navy's policy. P.S. the long term effects of lasik have yet to be documented.....
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, ChrisLe!  I've been thinking about doing this procedure myself, but am not ready to take the "permanent" step yet.  The info helps.

edited to add:

(actually I don't mean I would do it myself!) [:D]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, I wasn't disputing your statements.  I realize that RK has a longer history than LASIK.  I looked into RK back in 83, when I wanted to fly helicopters.  I had the brains, but my eyes were bad.  Army sent me to a Navy flight surgeon who gave me the info on RK (at that time).  Too pricey at $20,000 and nobody (even the Navy) would allow it.

I agree about "long term" viability, but even RK doesn't meet the long term test.  20 years is a lot, but it ain't nothing in a lifetime.  The success rates of LASIK over RK are significantly higher, with lower incidences of side effects common to RK incisions (infections, scarring, flare and starburst, etc).

For the general soldier and sailor, I believe LASIK (or a refined form of it) will become THE standard, if not the ISSUE means of correcting vision problems.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I was told by a recruiter (which could mean this is complete BS) that lasik was being offered at Ft. Bragg under some experimental program about a year ago.

Edited to add that I had lasik about a year and half ago and would recommend it to everyone.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks, ChrisLe!  I've been thinking about doing this procedure myself, but am not ready to take the "permanent" step yet.  The info helps.

View Quote

There's a lot involved prior to making the decision. Do a web search for Lasik Surgery and you'll come up with a wealth of information. As always, you'll hear good and bad stories. Do your research and go from there. My only suggestion would be to find a reputable and established surgeon. There are many fly by night surgeons out there that are doing it because its quick, easy, and profitable. Be wary of them....Personally, It was a godsend for me and would recommend it to anybody..
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#10]
This just in: [url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,60401,00.html[/url]

[i][green]ALMOST[/green][/i] (but not quite) makes me wish that I was back in..

Lager,
-JRH
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Remind me sometime to post my story of how I nearly CHOKED to death on a protective mask vision insert during MOPP training.  I wish I could have had LASIK ten years sooner.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I have no regrets about doing the procedure but don't know how "operators" could get by.  My night vision has suffered somewhat.  It takes me longer to adjust from light to dark.  Of course I am getting older as well . . .
[thinking]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I, as well as some others that I know, have had Laser PRK and love it (and its way better than LASIK).
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh, I wasn't disputing your statements.  I realize that RK has a longer history than LASIK.  I looked into RK back in 83, when I wanted to fly helicopters.  I had the brains, but my eyes were bad.  Army sent me to a Navy flight surgeon who gave me the info on RK (at that time).  Too pricey at $20,000 and nobody (even the Navy) would allow it.

I agree about "long term" viability, but even RK doesn't meet the long term test.  20 years is a lot, but it ain't nothing in a lifetime.  The success rates of LASIK over RK are significantly higher, with lower incidences of side effects common to RK incisions (infections, scarring, flare and starburst, etc).

For the general soldier and sailor, I believe LASIK (or a refined form of it) will become THE standard, if not the ISSUE means of correcting vision problems.
View Quote

Laser PRK blows away LASIK. You can find web sites that will show many cases arguing either side. In my opinion, would you rather take an extra day to heal, or would you rather weaken your cornea by cutting a flap that can pop open under pressure, etc.?????????? (and if you do not believe the pressure concept-- ask them how they re-do the surgery for future adjustments. Hint: they float the flap by applying pressure)

Link Posted: 8/15/2002 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#16]
True only for a limited time.  My enhancement after about 9 months required a fresh incision.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are CURRENTLY in the Navy and are CURRENTLY an NFO (Naval Flight Officer) and NOT a pilot then the Navy is paying to have your eyes PRK'ed.
Pilots and Enlisted Aircrew do not qualify for this program (as of yet).
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#18]
The navy did PRK on me a while back, so far around 20/20.  Over all after the 6 weeks it took for my eyes to heal it has been good to go.  Don't wear glasses to the field anymore and I think they are right about it being a combat multiplier.  There is quite the wait for it if you are not a pilot or in special warfare.  Since I am in combat arms they put me in as a priority one, so it took me 6 month to get it done.  One of my Lts I put the paper work in for as a priority one had appointment in 2 weeks and the procedure done in 6 weeks.

The navy also does LASEK and LASIK but has not decided if they will approve LASIK for all, at the time of my PRK in Portsmouth, the Surgeon that did it said they would start doing LASIK there in the near future.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top