Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2012 4:44:05 PM EDT
You palmetto state folks care to chime in? In 2 weeks I'm taking the family to Disney. I'll be taking I-77/I-95 and will be passing through SC during Saturday afternoon. I thought it would be cool to take in a local BBQ joint for some good southern cookin' and sweet tea. This place seems to get good reviews. I realize there are multiple locations, I'm leaning towards the one in Walterboro.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Duke's is the Best!!! Their hash is the best on earth.

Any Duke's is good. I usually ate at the original restaurant in Orangeburg, off of I-26.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to hijack, but consider jumping off of I-77 at Columbia and taking the back roads down through Georgia instead of driving I-95.

I do it all the time when I drive down to Tampa and it doesn't add a whole lot of time. It's cool to see the small towns and is WAY less stressful.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as its not mustard sauce.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Bessinger's.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not to hijack, but consider jumping off of I-77 at Columbia and taking the back roads down through Georgia instead of driving I-95.

I do it all the time when I drive down to Tampa and it doesn't add a whole lot of time. It's cool to see the small towns and is WAY less stressful.

That sounds interesting. I'll look into that. Thank you.

Quoted:
Bessinger's.

>Dukes?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Gardner's in Rocky Mount, NC just off I-95
Southern Soul on St. Simon's Island, GA a bit off I-95

Decent if you are going that way.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I ate at Little Pigs in Columbia last week and it was damn good. Mustard sauce rules, but they had vinegar, sweet, and dry too. Did I mention buffet style?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Duke's is the Best!!! Their hash is the best on earth.

Another Two Thumbs Up for Dukes!  Although I am also a big fan of Maurice's mustard-based sauce.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

As long as its not crock pot pork butt with vinegar sauce.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
As long as its not crock pot pork butt with vinegar sauce.

What ever ya hippy
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Bessinger's.

>Dukes?

Yes.  The mustard based sauce is similar to Maurice's/Duke's, but the fries and deep
fried, thick-battered onion rings put B over the top.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#12]
The one in Walterboro is excellent.   Also recommend the restaurant in Santee.  I'll remember the name in a few...
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Bessinger's.

>Dukes?

Yes.  The mustard based sauce is similar to Maurice's/Duke's, but the fries and deep

Who eats fries and rings when you are at a world class BBQ joint?!!    that stuff is FILLER and has no business taking away meat space in my stomach.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Duke's is legit.  You won't go wrong there.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#15]
maurices

LOLLLLLLLLL
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I grew up going to the Dukes in Charleston that was only open on the weekends.
Hash is different than bbq, I just don't know how to describe the difference.
Damn fine place to eat!

You may want to give Bessingers a try while you're at it. It's mustard based but damn good! The onion rings are the best i've ever had!
They are the size of donuts.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Bessinger's.

>Dukes?

Who eats fries and rings when you are at a world class BBQ joint?!!    that stuff is FILLER and has no business taking away meat space in my stomach.

Back when I did eat meat, I thouroughly enjoyed all parts of the Big Joe Platter.  
Since I've given up meat (pescatarian) I've found that the sauces/onion rings/ fries
are what keeps me and the family going back.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Dukes is pretty good. Was just there a couple weeks ago. Another really good one is Daves Famous in Statesboro NC. His slaw is crazy good.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Bessinger's.

>Dukes?

Back when I did eat meat, I thouroughly enjoyed all parts of the Big Joe Platter.  
Since I've given up meat (pescatarian) I've found that the sauces/onion rings/ fries
are what keeps me and the family going back.

Gotcha.

I love seafood too.. sometimes I wonder if I like it more than bbq.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I have found a solution to this dilenma. We'll go to Dukes on the way down and have Bessinger's on the way back. I'm originally from Southern Ohio, so I should blend right in with the locals.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Get both!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top