Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2012 10:41:26 AM EDT
Boss (the one with the M & P 9mm, not the one with the Colt M4 or the one with the Clone) just traded in a couple of cars (including a 2013 Shelby Mustang) for a Honda Pilot.    

Not a bad car (I had a ride in the Mustang.....the Pilot is nice, but the Mustang was fun even at legal speeds).   He didn't want 2 car payments and wasn't driving the Mustang (several months of ownership and only 400 miles on it...), so he decided to get rid of the pair (Nissan Versa also) and get a smaller SUV.

Now (days later!)  he's making noises about 'fun' cars.

But....

He wants to pay cash for a few year old or lower mileage used car.

(I'm guessing $10k to $15k).

Has to be fun.    (Since I joined the practice almost 4 years ago..he's had a Cayman, Z4 and the Mustang...but also a Matrix and the Versa that he drove around it most of the time).

Has to be 'economical' as a daily driver (i.e...repair expenses reasonable, reasonable mileage...over what the Pilot gets, and not depreciate quickly...hence the 'used' part of the question).

Is there anything you can think of that fits that criteria?

I'd tend towards suggesting a BMW 3 series in the price range (either lower miles or newer with higher miles to keep the price down) with the in-line 6.

He does have a competent import shop nearby so won't be stuck with dealer pricing on repairs, but he doesn't do any of his own.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

AFARR
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Make it something at least a little classy. You only go around once in life.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#2]
newer jetta gli
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Subaru STI.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Subaru STI.

+1

Or an evo
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Miata. I'd run from a used BMW.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Boss (the one with the M & P 9mm, not the one with the Colt M4 or the one with the Clone) just traded in a couple of cars (including a 2013 Shelby Mustang) for a Honda Pilot.    

Not a bad car (I had a ride in the Mustang.....the Pilot is nice, but the Mustang was fun even at legal speeds).   He didn't want 2 car payments and wasn't driving the Mustang (several months of ownership and only 400 miles on it...), so he decided to get rid of the pair (Nissan Versa also) and get a smaller SUV.

Now (days later!)  he's making noises about 'fun' cars.

But....

He wants to pay cash for a few year old or lower mileage used car.

(I'm guessing $10k to $15k).

Has to be fun.    (Since I joined the practice almost 4 years ago..he's had a Cayman, Z4 and the Mustang...but also a Matrix and the Versa that he drove around it most of the time).

Has to be 'economical' as a daily driver (i.e...repair expenses reasonable, reasonable mileage...over what the Pilot gets, and not depreciate quickly...hence the 'used' part of the question).

Is there anything you can think of that fits that criteria?

I'd tend towards suggesting a BMW 3 series in the price range (either lower miles or newer with higher miles to keep the price down) with the in-line 6.

He does have a competent import shop nearby so won't be stuck with dealer pricing on repairs, but he doesn't do any of his own.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

AFARR

Hyundai genesis coupe or Nissan 350z coupe.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Hennessey Venom GT

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Miata. I'd run from a used BMW.

Uh....my Daily driver is a BMW 318is '91...purchased with about 175k miles for $900 and over 250k now.    

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Dodge Challenger SE,6 cyl. decent mpg and still a fun ride.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hennessey Venom GT

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

For $10 to $15k?    How's the mileage...that might be the deal breaker?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top