Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/23/2012 7:00:00 AM EDT
http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/22/world/europe/vatican-pope-jesus-book/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

(CNN) –– It's Christmas, but not as you know it: a new book released this week by Pope Benedict XVI looks at the early life of Jesus –– and debunks several myths about how the Nativity unfolded.

In "Jesus of Nazareth –– The Infancy Narratives," the pope says the Christian calendar is actually based on a blunder by a sixth century monk, who Benedict says was several years off in his calculation of Jesus' birth date.

According to the pope's research, there is also no evidence in the Gospels that the cattle and other animals traditionally pictured gathered around the manger were actually present.

He also debunks the claim that angels sang at the birth, a staple theme of Christmas carols.

The book, which is being published in multiple languages in time for Christmas, is the third in a series by the pontiff. The previous two volumes dealt with Jesus' adult life and his public ministry.

Read more: Jews did not kill Jesus, pope writes in new book
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, the Romans killed Hay-Seuss.  But who put them up to it?  

The Vatican lost any credibility when they urged there be one world bank.  Fuggem.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:07:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually, it was probably Syrian auxiliaries who killed Jesus.  Though that great historian/theologian/singer/novelist Barry Sadler claims it was Casca Rufio Longinius who was responsible.

Nothing the pope said was new, and it has been accepted by many people for a long time now.  It is hard for me to see that this was news of any kind.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:07:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm writing a new book. "The Pope, The Intercessor Myth".

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Pope ain't gettin nuff money off crismas.  Gotta take it back.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Actually, it was probably Syrian auxiliaries who killed Jesus.  Though that great historian/theologian/singer/novelist Barry Sadler claims it was Casca Rufio Longinius who was responsible.

Nothing the pope said was new, and it has been accepted by many people for a long time now.  It is hard for me to see that this was news of any kind.

According to one book I downloaded (though the name escapes me at tbe moment) the legion in Judea at that time was originally recruited from Spain.

ETA: Caesar's Legion: The Epic Saga of Julius Caesar's Elite Tenth Legion and the Armies of Rome
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Pope will be put in his place one day....
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Christmas is about 98% bullshit, using pagan traditions, and a pagan holiday in order to help convert pagans to Christianity. This is no secret, it's just ignored by most people that like gifts.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Jews did not kill Jesus, pope writes in new book

Jesus was crucified to fulfill prophecy.  Who wanted Him up there and who physically put Him up there is irrelevant.

Anyone who holds a grudge against the Jews for putting Jesus on the cross is a moron to say the least.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus was crucified to fulfill prophecy.  Who wanted Him up there and who physically put Him up there is irrelevant.

Anyone who holds a grudge against the Jews for putting Jesus on the cross is a moron to say the least.    

This.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:27:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/22/world/europe/vatican-pope-jesus-book/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

Thats pretty strange
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#11]
This will be a nice supplement to my new book "Who gives an unbundled fuck:  The authorized biography of a dude who simply doesn't care."

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, Jesus did not come to Earth to go on a Mediterranean cruise. He came down to take on his shoulders the sin and suffering and death of this world.
It was God's plan that Jesus die on the cross. Any part people (Jews, Romans, Spaniards, whatever) played was incidental; they were acting as agents not as root cause of events.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

This will be a nice supplement to my new book "Who gives an unbundled fuck:  The authorized biography of a dude who simply doesn't care."

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#14]
The Pope probably saw Jesus' birth by using the Vatican's Chronovisor.  

http://seeker401.wordpress.com/2009/09/23/the-vaticans-time-machine-the-chronovisor/
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#15]
now all of a sudden you like the pope????  and of all the popes to side with, you chose the one that was a member of the nazi party, however unwillingly .  now that's ironic isn't it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Does he make any statements to Jesus actually being born on that day?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#17]
So.... basically he's saying what a shit ton of scholars have already said?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Jesus wasn't born into poverty, either.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow OldGuy you certainly dealt a huge blow to Christianity with this post.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#20]
As a rule, I don't read books written by politicians.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

+1

Also OldGuy do you do anything besides posting about Christianity? I mean for not being one you sure are interested in it and post a lot about it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#22]
If you follow the feast days, and the age of John the Baptist, you will know when Jesus was actually born.

He was born in Sept. according to our calendar.  The December 25th date was carried over from pagan religions, such as the worship of Tammuz, the sun god, who's birth date was December 25th. One other thing, Tammuz was killed on what some celebrate as Easter.

According to pagan sun god religions, Semiramis, the wife of Nimrod, the sun god, and mother of Tammuz, the reborn sun god, upon her death was sent back by the sun god Nimrod as the large-breasted fertility goddess Easter. She was sent back the first SUNday after the Vernal Equinox (Easter Sunday) in a large egg that landed in the Euphrates River. The egg then opened and to show her divinity she changed a bird into an egg-laying rabbit (Easter bunny).

Easter’s priests, in honor of her fertility, would impregnate young virgins upon her altar and then sacrifice these three-month-old infants upon the same altar the following year as the sun rises on SUNday morning (Easter Sunrise Service). They would then take eggs (fertility) and dip them in the red blood of these sacrificed infants (Easter eggs). These pagans would then roast the boar that killed Tammuz and eat Ham on Easter Sunday.

This link will help with that. It goes through the feasts, the birth of John the Baptist, and other events that tell us more about it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CG0QFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbiblelight.net%2Fsukkoth.htm&ei=IuGvULR6g6LxBMD8gJAE&usg=AFQjCNE839EdUy8XrjZo99ObGbJeI2ze3g&cad=rja

And, we all killed Jesus, or at least all of us that followed Satan in the first Earth age in his rebellion against God. Had we not done that, there would have been no need to be born into flesh bodies so that we have no recollection of our past, in order that we may choose to love God freely instead of Satan. There would have been no need for us to have Jesus die for our sins.

If we all go back into the original text and original languages, most of that is explained quite well, and it is explained that the Earth is not 6,000 years old as many Christians falsely believe, but billions of years old, just as modern science corroborates.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Also OldGuy do you do anything besides posting about Christianity? I mean for not being one you sure are interested in it and post a lot about it.

Old guy has only dealt a blow to fake traditions of Christianity, but not to Christianity itself.

Old Guy, thanks for you post. Perhaps more people will read of this and seek the truth, and come to know the real Jesus. I want to thank you for quite possibly leading people into a thirst for knowledge that may point them into the direction that they should go.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Bullshit!

The only people who can bring down Christianity are Christians.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

My posts are intended as PSA's.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#26]
They see me rollin...

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Christmas is about 98% bullshit, using pagan traditions, and a pagan holiday in order to help convert pagans to Christianity. This is no secret, it's just ignored by most people that like gifts.

Including atheists.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

He also debunks the claim that angels sang at the birth, a staple theme of Christmas carols.

"debunking" myths about religious belief?  There's a little bit of irony in that statement.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
now all of a sudden you like the pope????  and of all the popes to side with, you chose the one that was a member of the nazi party, however unwillingly .  now that's ironic isn't it.

Jump to conclusions much?  OldGuy posted a link to a story.  He did not give an opinion one way or the other.  And agreeing with someone's opinion on a particular matter does not make one culpable or beholden to everything else that person has done, said, or opined on.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Including atheists.

My ex is an atheist, she celebrates it. I'm a Christian, I don't. It confuses people, it's far too logical.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#31]

O_P is little more than a troll of the most protected kind.

Vito_113 was banned for doing little more than what Old Guy does.

C'est la guerre.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you follow the feast days, and the age of John the Baptist, you will know when Jesus was actually born.

He was born in Sept. according to our calendar.  The December 25th date was carried over from pagan religions, such as the worship of Tammuz, the sun god, who's birth date was December 25th. One other thing, Tammuz was killed on what some celebrate as Easter.

According to pagan sun god religions, Semiramis, the wife of Nimrod, the sun god, and mother of Tammuz, the reborn sun god, upon her death was sent back by the sun god Nimrod as the large-breasted fertility goddess Easter. She was sent back the first SUNday after the Vernal Equinox (Easter Sunday) in a large egg that landed in the Euphrates River. The egg then opened and to show her divinity she changed a bird into an egg-laying rabbit (Easter bunny).

Easter’s priests, in honor of her fertility, would impregnate young virgins upon her altar and then sacrifice these three-month-old infants upon the same altar the following year as the sun rises on SUNday morning (Easter Sunrise Service). They would then take eggs (fertility) and dip them in the red blood of these sacrificed infants (Easter eggs). These pagans would then roast the boar that killed Tammuz and eat Ham on Easter Sunday.

This link will help with that. It goes through the feasts, the birth of John the Baptist, and other events that tell us more about it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CG0QFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbiblelight.net%2Fsukkoth.htm&ei=IuGvULR6g6LxBMD8gJAE&usg=AFQjCNE839EdUy8XrjZo99ObGbJeI2ze3g&cad=rja

And, we all killed Jesus, or at least all of us that followed Satan in the first Earth age in his rebellion against God. Had we not done that, there would have been no need to be born into flesh bodies so that we have no recollection of our past, in order that we may choose to love God freely instead of Satan. There would have been no need for us to have Jesus die for our sins.

If we all go back into the original text and original languages, most of that is explained quite well, and it is explained that the Earth is not 6,000 years old as many Christians falsely believe, but billions of years old, just as modern science corroborates.

Link does not work
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link does not work

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CG0QFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbiblelight.net%2Fsukkoth.htm&ei=8vCvUP39LpOK9ATZxYDoCA&usg=AFQjCNE839EdUy8XrjZo99ObGbJeI2ze3g&cad=rja
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit!

The only people who can bring down Christianity are Christians.

Hey OldJew, your thread title references Christmas.

Stir the pot much ?

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's Christmas, but not as you know it: a new book released this week by Pope Benedict XVI looks at the early life of Jesus –– and debunks several myths about how the Nativity unfolded.

In "Jesus of Nazareth –– The Infancy Narratives," the pope says the Christian calendar is actually based on a blunder by a sixth century monk, who Benedict says was several years off in his calculation of Jesus' birth date.

According to the pope's research, there is also no evidence in the Gospels that the cattle and other animals traditionally pictured gathered around the manger were actually present.

Those of us that read the Bible already knew this.

Nope, the Roman government did.  We also already knew this.

I'm going to start a website that does a bunch of empirical ballistic testing of various rounds against various materials.

I'm going to call it "The Crate of Veracity"

I'll let you know when I start it, I'll bet you'll be surprised what you learn about shotguns vs rifles vs handguns.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That is pretty revisionist if you ask me.  The Jewish religious leaders, according to the Bible, were instrumental in Jesus being executed.  Not that it matters as others have said, but this looks like some politically correct attempt at revising some inconvenient truth.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Even as a kid in Catholic school, they never sold December 25th as the historically proven day. It was simply a convenient placeholder, since we simply did not and do not conclusively know. More importantly, it doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

My posts are intended as PSA's.  

Prostate-Specific Antigens?

Well, I guess as long as you have your head up there you may as well look around the neighborhood.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

The Vatican lost any credibility when they urged there be one world bank.  Fuggem.

Joooooooz!

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, Jesus did not come to Earth to go on a Mediterranean cruise. He came down to take on his shoulders the sin and suffering and death of this world.
It was God's plan that Jesus die on the cross. Any part people (Jews, Romans, Spaniards, whatever) played was incidental; they were acting as agents not as root cause of events.

We ALL killed Jesus.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

O_P is little more than a troll of the most protected kind.

Vito_113 was banned for doing little more than what Old Guy does.

C'est la guerre.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is pretty revisionist if you ask me.  The Jewish religious leaders, according to the Bible, were instrumental in Jesus being executed.  Not that it matters as others have said, but this looks like some politically correct attempt at revising some inconvenient truth.

Not really.

The statement was:

(the) Jews did not kill Jesus, .....

That is 100% correct.

They wanted to kill Him, but the Romans did not allow them to carry out capital punishment.  Therefore, they had to beg the Romans to actually kill Him.

The Romans did the actual crucifiction.

Lets not split hairs here.  That was never the assumption or the subject.  We all know the Romans did the physical killing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Jesus wasn't born into poverty, either.

Nope.  In fact, Joseph was a tradesman who owned his own business.

Kind of kills the Liberation Theology narrative.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Jews could not execute Jesus; only the Roman government could. Pilot, the head of the Roman government in Judea could, and he did it as a matter of expediency to placate the Jewish leadership. But ultimately ALL of us are responsible. They were just the players.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Joooooooz!

Wrong, John Wayne killed Jesus.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to one book I downloaded (though the name escapes me at tbe moment) the legion in Judea at that time was originally recruited from Spain.

ETA: Caesar's Legion: The Epic Saga of Julius Caesar's Elite Tenth Legion and the Armies of Rome

Awesome book! I just finished it a short time ago. In the appendices, the author states (while illustrating how data on the legions is compiled)  that the 1st/2nd cohorts of the 25th legion carried out the crucifixion. The legionaries were from Syria and probably 39-40 years of age, nearing the end of their first enlistment.

I am floored by how much we can infer from Classical Rome. I study the Roman army quite a bit and follow the historians and archaeologists. They'll make some inference or deduce something completely out of left field and then, years later, find some evidence that proves it! Sorry, little derail there. But still, it is not always the case.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top