Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2012 5:23:58 AM EDT
I've been asked to pick and buy a Kindle or similar device for a Christmas present.

Its main use will be for reading books, a wifi connection for facebook, etc would be nice also.

I have -0- idea where to start here, so any help would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:29:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I've been asked to pick and buy a Kindle or similar device for a Christmas present.

Its main use will be for reading books, a wifi connection for facebook, etc would be nice also.

Just buy the regular Kindle touch. I thought it would be nice to surf the net from one too (which you technically can), but the "easy on the eyes" screen and the insane battery life of a standard Kindle make a color one seem like a bad deal if you truly just want it for reading.

I read every night on mine. It's one of the most used Christmas presents I ever received

Speed

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:34:28 AM EDT
[#2]
For reading I would go with a Kindle Paperwhite, easiest on the eyes IMO.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

For reading I would go with a Kindle Paperwhite, easiest on the eyes IMO.

Ya, I forgot about that new one; built in light and 8 week battery...it looks pretty sweet

Speed

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:38:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:40:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, guys.

Bennn, which one is on the left?

Am I understanding correctly that I could just get an iphone and let them use it as a reader?

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks, guys.

Bennn, which one is on the left?

Am I understanding correctly that I could just get an iphone and let them use it as a reader?

Reading on an iPhone is toruture.  Reading on my iPad is better.  Reading on my kindle is far better than on either.  I just got a paperwhite kindle for my stepdaughter, I'm sure she will love it.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:48:51 AM EDT
[#8]
My kindle fire has performed well for the last year. I'm using it now.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, you could with the kindle app or whatever apples version is.  But a phone really isn't ideal for a full time ebook reader.  It is better suited for being a reader that you just use when you happened to get stuck in line or something.  A kindle with an e-ink display is by far the best device for reading.  It is literally just like looking at a piece of paper.. no eye fatigue like you get from reading off of an LCD screen.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had the Kindle Paperwhite for a month, read two books so far......I love it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:02:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've had the Kindle Paperwhite for a month, read two books so far......I love it.

My wife is reading on her paperwhite right now and loves them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Another choice would be a 7" tablet and either the kindle or nook erasder apps.

A 16GB Nexus 7 is $199
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Kindle Fire is really great.

Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top