Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2012 4:51:04 AM EDT
I uncovered a few hundred old sports cards I had from the 1970's and 80's.  Now I want to figure out if any are worth keeping or toss them in the trash.
They are all "Topps" brand, baseball and football.

I really don't want to go look up the value of each one on its own.  I thought maybe it would be easier to just get a list of all cards that are worth over $2-5 and then go through the cards to see if I have any on that list.  Or maybe there is a better way?  Put all of them (names, teams etc) in a spreadsheet and then write a script that matches any in the list to those in the spreadsheet.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:56:43 AM EDT
[#1]
google for baseball card values, look up the prices.

hard isn't it thats as easy as it gets

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:57:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Ebay. I think you'll be disappointed. The baseball card bubble burst a while ago
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#3]
The few sports card dealers left are only interested in pre-50's cards. You can safely assume you have a bunch of drink coasters in terms if value. Find a kid and give the cards to them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ebay. I think you'll be disappointed. The baseball card bubble burst a while ago

This.

I wish I'd have sold mine when I was young. The internet killed values
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#5]
You got a few hundred?  I got a few boxes of thousands.  They ain't worth shit....  ebay killed the value of most all collectible cards.  Ebay is SATAN.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Easier way than browsing ebay is to hit a newstand or bookstore and buy a copy Beckett pricing guide, this is easier to get the overall pricing, but ebay will give you a more fair market value based on popularity. As others have eluded to, sports cards aren't what they used to be, but 70's and 80's are still somewhat desirable to collectors looking to complete collections, and even finding "commons" in certain years can prove difficult sometimes. If you've got "stars" from those era's you can still get a little bit for them, not as much as 15+ years ago. In regards to ebay killing the value, I don't think that personally, but rather companies putting out four billion types of cards, with holograms, and foil and such, and it just got out of hand, too damn expensive if you were a true collector, this is what I believe killed sports cards.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You got a few hundred?  I got a few boxes of thousands.  They ain't worth shit....  ebay killed the value of most all collectible cards.  Ebay is SATAN.  

Or they were overpriced crap the entire time without any real value.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Winter is coming. Burn them for warmth and get some real enjoyment out of them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#9]

I really don't know but I have a buddy here in town thats an expert on everything sports. Let me get him down here during the commercial break.....
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to use Beckett magazine to price my stuff, but I haven't even seen my cards in close to 10 years. I assume they're still in the attic.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#11]
If they are from the 80s or later they are probably worthless.

It’s basic economics. There are two reasons someone might want a baseball card. The first is that they are a collector and the second is that they are a speculator. The collectors want the card because they want it for what it is. The speculators want it because of what it might be worth in the future.

Now, there really aren’t that many collectors out there and there really aren’t that many collectors with vast amounts of money to spend on their hobby.

Which brings up supply and demand. Back in the day no one had any idea that baseball cards would ever be worth anything.  Kids bought them and put them in their bicycle spokes. They generally treated them like kids treat most anything. So few of them survived. This meant that there were more collectors than there were available baseball cards.

And that meant the prices went up which brought in the speculators. The speculators bit the price of the available cards up and up. This put the price of the cards far beyond what most collectors could really afford. And whenever a commodity get so expensive that the core user can no longer support it the demand is only being supported by speculators. This creates a price bubble that will eventually burst. And that’s what happened.

But the price bubble had another effect. It encouraged people to buy lots of new baseball cards and store them safely in hopes that they would be worth something someday. And I’m sure they will be worth something in another century or so. But right now there are way too many of them out there in good shape for them to have any value.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like most of them are from 1976.

Along with these sports cards (probably 300-500 of them) are an assortment a few hundred of other trading cards I had stashed away.
Also, a complete star wars set and hot wheels collector set.

If I can manage enough from all of it for one case of ammo, Ill be happy.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Ive got complete unopenef sets going back to mid 80's. I can also remember sticking mickey mantle and yogi berr cards  in my bicycle spokes in the mid 60's
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#14]
It used to be that the only cards with significant value were rookie cards of players who became big stars . I don't know if even that is true nowadays.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Star Wars stuff from the 70s and Hot Wheels may be worth checking out.  You may want to sit on the Star Wars stuff for a few more years until the new Disney owned Star Wars movies come out and interest begins to peak again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top