Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2012 2:47:23 PM EDT
I need somebody to school me on the obvious; what exactly is the functional difference between a postal money order and one from western union or wal mart?
The reason I ask is that I recently tried to buy an item in the EE and when the guy recieved my western union MO he launched into a total bitch fit and acted like a menopausal woman who just realized she was out of Midol upon seeing my Western Union money order.
Money is fucking money, right? Or is it? Either way, this guy decided he'd rather send my MO back to me and forego the sale rather than just cashing it like a normal person. Did I miss something here or is this guy really just a high maintenance little prick?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure but I'd guess that USPS MO's may be more convenient. Easier to cash maybe. I'm really just guessing as I cannot remember the last time I had to deal with a non-USPS money order.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]
OP,
your non USPS MO is going to have to be deposited. Bank will hold money for awhile.
Greater chance of being coutnerfeit?
He can take a USPS MO to PO and get it cashed.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#3]
people like the PO MO because supposedly if something goes sideways the postal inspectors will get involved and take care of it. And many think that the MO from Western or WM are easily faked.

In the dealings I have had, I have paid with WM money order, personal check, a check that was sent by my online account . Every time before i bought I ask the seller if it was ok to send it this method. Told them it was ok to hold the product  till they were confident it was cleared.  

Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I need somebody to school me on the obvious; what exactly is the functional difference between a postal money order and one from western union or wal mart?
The reason I ask is that I recently tried to buy an item in the EE and when the guy recieved my western union MO he launched into a total bitch fit and acted like a menopausal woman who just realized she was out of Midol upon seeing my Western Union money order.
Money is fucking money, right? Or is it? Either way, this guy decided he'd rather send my MO back to me and forego the sale rather than just cashing it like a normal person. Did I miss something here or is this guy really just a high maintenance little prick?

No, it's not. If he asked for a USPMO and you sent a WU he has every right to be pissed.

PMO's can be cashed and stay 'off the books' Western Union's can not be cashed and are a PITA.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Correction.... You can take a USPS Money Order to a Post Office and cash it   IF  they have money in the drawer. If it's of any size they usually can't cash it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
USPS Money orders can be cashed at the Post Office. Even Walmart won't cash their own MO, so they have to be deposited into your bank and they can still 'bounce' weeks after they 'clear'. So holding them for 5, 7, 14 days does nothing to guarantee they are good. As for Western Union, I think they may cash their own Money Orders, but there isn't a Western Union office in every podunk town, so they have to be deposited into your own account and run the same risk as any other check that may be deposited.

That being said, don't buy into the bad advice that using a USPS money order buys you extra protection because if it is no good, or someone swindles you, it is a Federal Crime and USPS Inspectors will come after you. The use of the USPS MO buys you NOTHING. What gets the Feds involved (if they decide you are worthy) is the use of the USMail to deliver the Money Order that makes if eligible for Mail Fraud charges. It is the act of using the USMail to defraud someone that triggers Mail Fraud, not the fact that you may have used a USPS money order.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#7]
You can not cash any other money order but a United States Postal Money Order.  Especially a Western Union.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Postal money order is the only one my bank will cash, everything has to be deposited with a 10 day hold....That's my only reason, I want my money and I want your item out of my possession.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Not to side track the OP, but do they still issue Travelers Checks?  Years ago when I worked for a motel we treated them just like cash.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

[...] Money is fucking money, right? [...]

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#11]
mehh....I made the same mistake once...bought something off of EE and just picked up a Money order when I was doing the rest of my banking and sent it to the other member.....he had a freaking meltdown because he did request USPS money order.....my mistake I offered to remedy but apparently my bank doesn't issue bad mo's as a few days later the item arrived....for me I just deposit everything into an account and don't think twice about it but USPS money orders are easier for those that may have easier access to a post office vs. a bank......
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Wally will cash their MO but it costs $4 and they copy your driver's license and get your SS number. TMI for me to give. Western Union is an even bigger PITA. If I sell something I specify USPS money order. If someone sends me something else they get it back and my item goes back up for sale.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting. I guess for the paranoid  tinfoil hat crowd afraid of making a gov't list or of using an actual bank it makes sense. I've cashed literally thousands of dollars worth of WU, WM and various other types of MO's without a problem. Personally, I would rather spend a relaxing afternoon at the DMV than the PO. Between the tonks, snowbirds and the usual PO rabble it's almost a wash. I'll be more cognizant of what some of these guys on the EE and their demand for gold plated magical PO MO's.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As an added bonus, my bank refused to cash any USPS money orders.

My previous bank refused to accept them at all, even for deposit and hold until cleared. Apparently they are very popular for counterfeiting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top