Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2012 12:24:34 PM EDT
Here is what I have; I will be headed overseas with work to where there are little "creature comforts". The folks over there are clamoring for some way to watch movies, other than on their toughbooks.

I can take a projector with me. It will probably only have RCA inputs. However, I will try to sucker the boss into springing for something to get morale up...

Internet is sporadic. I will need something that can operate without a reliable internet connection.

I need some sort of sound solution. No, I don't need 7.1, but, once again, they are tired of earbuds or toughbook speakers.

Can you guys recommend something? The Roku 2 XS looks like a good option, since it has a USB port. HOWEVER, I dont know if it requires internet to operate when just playing movies from a USB stick.

What options do I have?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Roku and I am pretty sure it will play movies off the USB without an internet connection.

You can also get DVD players that have a USB port for playing content.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked up a digital picture frame at goodwill that plays usb/sd movies, there are led sd projectors on egay, boombox with 1/8"  or rca for sound?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Sony blu-ray player with a USB input, and I bought a Seagate Free Agent for my parents a few years ago.  I've played video from USB on both of these with no internet connectivity.  I remember for certain that the Free Agent had RCA outputs, don't remember for sure about my blu-ray player.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Usually there will be a couple of portable hard drives full of movies floating around the guys that are over.  
I keep a portable 1tb with me.

eta.  Also took a few RCA cables and a iPod hook up to USB
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Usually there will be a couple of portable hard drives full of movies floating around the guys that are over.  
I keep a portable 1tb with me.

I think this is why this piece of gear is being requested.  Its worth a few bucks out of my pocket to keep them happy...

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried the Roku and ended up going with a WD Live instead.  Better product, built in HD, great support for formats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top