Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2012 3:02:21 AM EDT
Today we celebrate Thanksgiving Day.

Today I am thankful for America. I am thankful that even in our times of uncertainty and worry, we live in the greatest of nations.

I am thankful that we can say what we feel and we can do what we please.

I am thankful that the world as we know it has a place to look to for defense, to look to for freedom, to look to as an example.

I, on this day, am thankful that our borders are breached by those seeking to find a better life, both within the system and outside of it.

I am thankful that we live in a land that our poorest live better than any other poor.

I am thankful that I can post this simple message to you, those who choose to read these words.

I am thankful and I am blessed to be an American, which children across the globe only wish they could be. "I'm the American this time!"

Today I am remembering the sacrifices that made this possible. Today, at least to me, is not just Thanksgiving day, but it is Memorial day, Veterans day, and it is the day to remember what made this idea, the idea of America, today.B

May we all give thanks to what we deem fit and to thanks those that challenge our Gods, and our Beliefs, and our Ideals.

Thank you.

My Thanksgiving song.

Fighting soldiers, from the sky
Fearless men, who jump and die
Men who mean, just what they say
The brave men, of the Green Beret

Silver wings, upon their chest
These are men, America's best
One hundred men, we'll test today
But only three, win the Green Beret

Trained to live, off nature's land
Trained in combat, hand to hand
Men who fight, by night and day
Courage deep, from the Green Beret

Silver wings, upon their chest
These are men, America's best
One hundred men, we'll test today
But only three, win the Green Beret

Back at home, a young wife waits
Her Green Beret, has met his fate
He has died, for those oppressed
Leaving her, this last request

Put silver wings, on my son's chest
Make him one, of America's best
He'll be a man, they'll test one day
Have him win, the Green Beret.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:04:44 AM EDT
[#1]
We have been blessed indeed
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:19:37 AM EDT
[#2]
There are so many things I have to be thankful for.  But a short list would be; Thank You Lord, Thank You to all of our Military, and Thanks to everyone here.  I hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving!

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:21:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:28:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:30:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:42:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:32:13 AM EDT
[#7]
A toast to all you have said, Reaperdental!

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:34:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A toast to all you have said, Reaperdental!

Thank you AJ, I give thanks for knowing you and all of you.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:58:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Excellent post
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:12:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:21:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We need more posts like this around here.

Agreed, well written OP!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Exactamente.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:31:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I love that song.........reminds me of my old man.  

May he rest in peace.

Thanks for posting
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:33:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:43:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:02:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have precious little to be thankful for, but what I do have, I am very thankful for.

I make half of what I did ten years ago, My newest and most valuable vehicle is twelve years old and quickly approaching 200K. My house is a step and a half up from a shack in the woods, but it keeps the rain off our heads and the wind out. Most months we struggle to keep food on the table, but so far there has always been enough, even if just. I work full time, and spend several evenings a week doing side work for cash, by spring I will probably have to take a second job on the weekends and nights, maybe even full time.

The economy is shit, better job prospects are a pipe dream even with my college degree in a useful field. My taxes are going up, even though I don't make anywhere near 250K. I could find 200K in the street tomorrow and still wouldn't be close to making 250K this year.

All that said, I have a great family, a wife who still loves me after 17 years, three kids who could be the poster children for the perfect American family, healthy, fit, good looking, well behaved, socially adept, and interested in self reliance. I wish I was able to give them more, but they don't complain, once in a while they will ask for things that we just can't afford, and have never thrown tantrums when they didn't get what they asked for, although it did have to be disappointing for them.

Less than a year ago a close family member of mine lost everything he owned, and much of what he loved in a fire. His young son was killed, his daughter was injured so badly that she will never grow up, she will never go to school, she will never fall in love with Justin Beiber or 1 Direction, she will never beg her daddy to take her to Build a Bear or the Mall. How he has managed to carry on I do not know, but he has. I look to that and realize that no matter how shitty I have it, I have so much more to be thankful for than I will ever be able to appreciate.

For those who are celebrating times of plenty, enjoy your holiday and don't forget to be thankful for the important things. For those with little to celebrate, enjoy your holiday and don't forget to be thankful for the important things.

There are few guarantees in this life, but if you are lucky your family is a guarantee that you will always be welcome, that you will always have a place, that you will always have a friend. You may have a hoard of riches to be envied, but if you have nobody to share it with you are far poorer than I am, and I wouldn't trade with you for a second.

I thank you, and you Sir, have my thanks. o7
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:31:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Thank you, perfectly stated.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Thank you
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But then you would be out of a job.

And I for one am very thankful to have the one I have this year.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am thankful as well, and I thank you Brother.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have precious little to be thankful for, but what I do have, I am very thankful for.

I make half of what I did ten years ago, My newest and most valuable vehicle is twelve years old and quickly approaching 200K. My house is a step and a half up from a shack in the woods, but it keeps the rain off our heads and the wind out. Most months we struggle to keep food on the table, but so far there has always been enough, even if just. I work full time, and spend several evenings a week doing side work for cash, by spring I will probably have to take a second job on the weekends and nights, maybe even full time.

The economy is shit, better job prospects are a pipe dream even with my college degree in a useful field. My taxes are going up, even though I don't make anywhere near 250K. I could find 200K in the street tomorrow and still wouldn't be close to making 250K this year.

All that said, I have a great family, a wife who still loves me after 17 years, three kids who could be the poster children for the perfect American family, healthy, fit, good looking, well behaved, socially adept, and interested in self reliance. I wish I was able to give them more, but they don't complain, once in a while they will ask for things that we just can't afford, and have never thrown tantrums when they didn't get what they asked for, although it did have to be disappointing for them.

Less than a year ago a close family member of mine lost everything he owned, and much of what he loved in a fire. His young son was killed, his daughter was injured so badly that she will never grow up, she will never go to school, she will never fall in love with Justin Beiber or 1 Direction, she will never beg her daddy to take her to Build a Bear or the Mall. How he has managed to carry on I do not know, but he has. I look to that and realize that no matter how shitty I have it, I have so much more to be thankful for than I will ever be able to appreciate.

For those who are celebrating times of plenty, enjoy your holiday and don't forget to be thankful for the important things. For those with little to celebrate, enjoy your holiday and don't forget to be thankful for the important things.

There are few guarantees in this life, but if you are lucky your family is a guarantee that you will always be welcome, that you will always have a place, that you will always have a friend. You may have a hoard of riches to be envied, but if you have nobody to share it with you are far poorer than I am, and I wouldn't trade with you for a second.

Prayers sent for them, and for you.

May God look down and smile on you all.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have done more than I ever did, Lifer.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have done more than I ever did, Lifer.

meh I've only sandbagged
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prayers sent for them, and for you.

May God look down and smile on you all.

Very much this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top