Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/21/2012 6:35:20 PM EDT
Including all Mac's, Ipads, and smartphones, etc.  The cause is a non-issue.  The question is this-  How long could you stay actively employed in your current job without the use or access to a PERSONAL computer?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Until I got writer's cramp. We can do handwritten for everything.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a systems engineer so I'd be fucked.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Almost everything I do is on a PC.

I would be effectively unemployed.
That would be awesome!  

Quoted:

Me too.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I would be fucked, no CNC work for me but the tool makers would have work.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That would be awesome!  

Quoted:

Me too.  

Gal I work with can a computer just by looking at it...maybe I can send her your way...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Back to old school handsheets for us, no computer generated routes either. Thats alright the retarded computer always thinks i want to make multiple lefts and crossings of the busiest street in town at rush hour
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Hard to say? We'd definitely go back to mechanical fuel injection though....New Peterbilts(or any vehicle made in the last 20 years) wouldn't know whether to shit or go blind without a computer. Not to mention the tech that has to use one to figure out the problem.
If it was just this thing...I'd get more reloading done
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That would be awesome!  

Quoted:

Me too.  

Y'all hiring?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I hear they got the internets in Californy.

ETA:  I'm an accountant, I don't remember how to do all that shit on paper anymore.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I would have to revert back to designing by hand....

Slow but it'll do
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#11]
0 seconds, online store
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#12]
As long as needed.
The computer is nice and efficient, but we could always go back to doing schedules and invoicing by hand.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#13]
The whole building would be out of work effective immediately.

We would not be able to produce our main product, therefore Chapter 7.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Including all Mac's, Ipads, and smartphones, etc.  The cause is a non-issue.  The question is this-  How long could you stay actively employed in your current job without the use or access to a PERSONAL computer?

Never fear.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Hell I work for the government.  We would probably GAIN productivity without technology. It's not like you can go backwards from 0.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#16]
im a school bus driver .... i would be ok
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Until it broke down or needed maintenance...computer controlled. If it's a dinosaur International...you'd be ok

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a theory.

That just off his master bedroom, Bill Gates has a smaller room protected by a steel door that opens to only his handprint. And that room is covered in deep red silk. In the center is a pedestal in on that pedestal is a single red button.

If you push that button, it sends a secret signal out to all Windows programs to delete everything on that program's host computer and network.

Every night Bill goes into that room and caresses that button while touching himself...dreaming of the day he decides he is nearing the end of his life and will leave, as his everlasting legacy, a world full of dead computers.

Or maybe not.  ?Quien Saben?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#19]
If that happened, going to work would actually be a negligible issue. We would have much bigger problems to deal with.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be awesome!  

Quoted:

Me too.  

Y'all hiring?

***snort***  Hahahahahaaaa!....             NO.  

U?  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#21]
While we use computers to make things easier, my vocation doesn't necessarily depend on them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until it broke down or needed maintenance...computer controlled. If it's a dinosaur International...you'd be ok

i work at waffle house too
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#24]
indefinitely, we only started putting computers in our trucks (pipe line inspections) about 6 or 7 years ago. I'd likely have to re train every inspector in the company though as I believe I'm the only one left that's been there that long.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love waffle house.

eta- I like manual cash registers too, haven't seen one in a while
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Including all Mac's, Ipads, and smartphones, etc. The cause is a non-issue. The question is this- How long could you stay actively employed in your current job without the use or access to a PERSONAL computer?

I did my job for years using a portable manual typewriter before personal computers were even thought of. I went through a ton of white-out....but I got 'er did.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
While we use computers to make things easier, my vocation doesn't necessarily depend on them.

All jobs depend on computers!

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love waffle house.

You two should hook-up.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I work remotely (1000 miles from my real office), so I'd be fucked in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#30]
When I started my job (LE) , I was hand writing reports and typing charges on a typewriter.  I could go back to it.  Would be an adjustment, but I could deal with it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Assuming there was a hard copy of previous relevant information and the systems in place to do things the old fashioned way?  It would be doable, but productivity would be a tenth of what it normally would be.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love waffle house.

You two should hook-up.  

mkay.....im me
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Meh, the majority of our fleet is powered by either a 3126, 6.4 or maxxforce 9. The maxxforce would die very quickly, but the 3126's would last a while until something went really wrong…and the older mechanical 8.3's will keep chugging along as always
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love waffle house.

You two should hook-up.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Indefinitely. Just have to go back to a Rolodex inventory cards.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd worry about who nuclear-EMP attacked us.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be awesome!  

Quoted:

Me too.  

Y'all hiring?

***snort***  Hahahahahaaaa!....             NO.  

U?  

Not for systems stuff.  Have other positions open but most of them aren't in Texas.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#38]
HR manager so I'm technically ok but the machines need comps to run them so no machines = no humans. No humans = no need for a HR mgr so I'm still screwed
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#39]
No more PLCs would be miserable for me.  Back to Bailey, Hagan, or General Regulator pneumatic boiler controls.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Note: I'm a customs broker.

I'd have to learn how to type the customs entries by hand. Remote electronic filing of entries wouldn't exist anymore. Would have to outport all my entries in other cities to other brokers (or my other offices). Have to pay duties on each entry with live check and hard copies of all paperwork. No more ACH. I actually had to do this recently for a few weeks when we had some major issues due to a merger. Sucked. All my reference materials would be on paper. Actually most of them still are, including the huge regs and tariff, but it's often easier to search online, then use the printed materials for deeper research. Most of the CBP regs still reference the old, non-electronic way of doing things - gov't doesn't change too quickly.

We'd go back to how it was done in the 70s and 80s. Would be much slower than how I currently do it.

Note: I would still have a job, but it would be a lot different than how I've been doing it. Thankfully, I actually LIKE typewriters and I'm one of the few in the office that actually knows how to use the electronic typewriter we have for certain forms.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Meh, the majority of our fleet is powered by either a 3126, 6.4 or maxxforce 9. The maxxforce would die very quickly, but the 3126's would last a while until something went really wrong…and the older mechanical 8.3's will keep chugging along as always

It wouldn't bother me a bit to go back to the old mechanical DT440's
Carburetors either for the gas stuff. I'm old though

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Gunsmith. The only thing we do online is order stuff and get emails. No computer would not change my job.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm in IT
so I'd be done
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Gunsmith. The only thing we do online is order stuff and get emails. No computer would not change my job.

Well I'm sure you'd lose some business.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#45]
i can still get contracts signed with paper, no big deal. i won't miss emails.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Does PlayStation still work?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I manage a shop that sells computer parts as well as does computer repair.  I would be looking for a new line of work most likely
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Have to go back to the way we use to do biz before computers. It would suck.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No more PLCs would be miserable for me.  Back to Bailey, Hagan, or General Regulator pneumatic boiler controls.

...or Bristol or Foxboro...

I'm good with pneumatics!

It's amazing a pneumatic PID will run a control loop for thirty years on nothing but clean air.  

<edit> I would be soooo busy I'd lose my mind.  
Nobody knows how to work on that stuff anymore.
It would be all on me.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

My job is to set them up, configure them, and continuously improve them. If they no longer work, I would be completely fucked.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top