Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/21/2012 6:11:09 PM EDT
I just got back from Walmart, where I picked up some 223 ammo. The kid behind the counter, who said he's only worked there for a week, said that there was a 'quarantine' on ammo at Wal-Mart. He said that for a 30-day period Wal-Mart wasn't going to ship any ammo to the stores.  I opined that it was probably because of the election, and he nodded and said yeah, it was supposed to have something to do with the election.  Obviously I can't confirm this, but I kinda doubt this kid just goes around throwing around words like 'quarantine' as part of his everyday vocabulary. He had to have heard it from somewhere. If it's true, it's kind of a stupid move on Wal-Mart's part, given it's fixin to be the busiest 30 days of their whole year, not to mention hunting season. They don't seem to have a problem selling AR's, seems kinda funny that they would get all squampshus about selling ammo.

Just thought I'd pass on what I heard.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like bs to me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe they want to save room in the trucks for all the Barbies and bikes and such for Christmas?  Getting a new employee's guess about something he doesn't explain well isn't a good thing to base an opinion on...

There is nothing else online about Wal Mart not selling ammunition...in fact, in my experience, gun counter managers have told me that they never know when or what they'll get in terms of guns or ammuniton until it shows up.  I asked this last time when I saw 2 Colts, 3 Bushmasters, a Sig and an S&W on my local Wally-World's shelf.  The manager said that she got info about their stock levels when the guns showed up, not "set up space for the following" or anything like that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
It's totally true, some guy on the back docks of the store here in Albuquerque knows a guy who knows the guys who sell all the ammo to walmart.  All the ammo has rabies.  seeing as how the only true way to check for rabies is an autopsy, it's just cheaper to do the quareeenteen then waste all the bullets that could be sold eventually.  

The crap that gets said over a gun counter is legendary, and you think some Walmart clerk has the down-low? I'm tired otherwise I'd come up with some BS I bet I could get you to believe.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't see the logic in not shipping any ammo for 30 days, and I really don't see how that ties into the election.  Maybe Walmart is not recieving ammo shipments due to concentrating on the Christmas items (toys, electronics, etc.).  I could be wrong but I just don't see why they would do such a thing.

My Walmart has put limits on the amount someone can buy.  But that is because a local pawn shop is buying them out as soon as they get shipments in and reselling them in their store.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Just like most any other place, rumors get started by employees, sometimes they say something thinking it might happen, and other people pick it up and run with it, as if it were fact.
Sometimes rumors are started by people who just like stirring up crap.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Create a bit of a shortage to fire up the demand.

Wouldn't be surprised if it were true.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
boooolsheeeet
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quarantine, blockade, or bullshit?

You decide.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone else wondering what the OP's previous 9 posts were about
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
If a Walmart clerk said it, it must be true.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#12]
The Wal-Mart close to me that sells ammo knows me as it is in an urban area and I am apparently one of the few people who actually buy something other than 9mm and .40 S&W.  I asked Monday whether anything was planned for Black Friday (like a $399 DPMS M4 or something nice like that) and both of the guys said that they were hoping to get more ammo in because there was some kind of hold on it.  I thought that this was odd.  They were getting some questions from their usual clients and wanted to stock more 9mm and .40 S&W.

I am in Houston.

I have no idea whether or not this is correct.  One of these two guys asked me if you could make an AR15 full auto by filing down the firing pin, so experts they are not.

There's also the possibility that every Wal-Mart in the US suddenly ordered all of the .223 and .308 they could Wednesday morning and no one is getting what they want, so who knows.

But it would be funny to hear it two places.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I KNEW IT !!!......dang ZombieMax ammo leaked some of the virus
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You decide.

Bullshit for $1000 Alex.

I think we have a winner, folks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Wal-Mart close to me that sells ammo knows me as it is in an urban area and I am apparently one of the few people who actually buy something other than 9mm and .40 S&W.  I asked Monday whether anything was planned for Black Friday (like a $399 DPMS M4 or something nice like that) and both of the guys said that they were hoping to get more ammo in because there was some kind of hold on it.  I thought that this was odd.  They were getting some questions from their usual clients and wanted to stock more 9mm and .40 S&W.

I am in Houston.

I have no idea whether or not this is correct.  One of these two guys asked me if you could make an AR15 full auto by filing down the firing pin, so experts they are not.

There's also the possibility that every Wal-Mart in the US suddenly ordered all of the .223 and .308 they could Wednesday morning and no one is getting what they want, so who knows.

I just got back from an Ohio WalMart. I didn't ask about ammo, but when walking through the lawn and garden section I saw a pallet of ammo, not cased, shrink wrapped like it was ready to be put on a truck. Didn't think anything about it until I read this thread.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Around here they move all the ammo out at Christmas so they have room for the airsoft guns and ammo.  I am in NC and no Wal-Mart within 25 miles of me sells guns.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am in Houston.

I just got back from an Ohio WalMart. I didn't ask about ammo, but when walking through the lawn and garden section I saw a pallet of ammo, not cased, shrink wrapped like it was ready to be put on a truck. Didn't think anything about it until I read this thread.

I wonder if the day after the election Wal-Mart suddenly ordered what would normally be three years worth of ammo overnight and the manufacturers collectively had kittens.

ETA:

I will go over to my urban Wal-Mart tomorrow and nose around some.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You decide.

Bullshit for $1000 Alex.

I'll take things posted on a troll account to stir up shit for $2000, Alex.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You decide.

Bullshit for $1000 Alex.

A challenger appears....
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#20]
EMBARGO ON!!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You decide.

Bullshit for $1000 Alex.

This

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Was looking for .223 in Walmart last night and all he had was five boxes of Tula. The counter guy said something about some ammo being on a five-week hold. He was busy so I didn't ask what he meant by that.

Should have asked, but I really didn't think much of it at the time.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#23]
they had fresh 45 ammo on the shelves tonight
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if everyone at Winchester and Remington and Federal just got all of the overtime they want through February ....
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I personally quarantined some .40 s&w from Walmart today. I then had it loaded into a plastic removal device which was then stapled shut. I took it to my class 1 disposal vehicle and brought it home for controlled destruction.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds more like they don't want ammo counter sales to drag sales associates over there for a transaction when they could be supporting greater dollar sales elsewhere during the busy holiday season.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Heard the same thing up here on the ,223, After work i drove over to Wisconsin and picked up 4 boxes,
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#29]
How much for the troll account?

2003 join date? I'm willing to gift a Gold membership to your real one.

Unless you're a Lifer. Then it's 3 pmags and I'll IM you a pic of my undercarriage.

Deal?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#30]
the last thing a walmart employee will know is walmart policy change.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
the last thing a walmart employee will know is walmart policy change.

That's a good point.  Again, the two guys behind the counter weren't working a second job because NASA laid them off.  But they were getting a lot of jawboning from their usual customer base about why the shelves were empty.  And the shelves were, in fact, empty.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I often chat up the ammo guy at my Walmart, hoping to get a scoop on deliveries, he dashed my dreams.
They know nothing, like the previous poster said. Not until it gets off the truck do they know what they are stocking.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Unless you're a Lifer. Then it's 3 pmags and I'll IM you a pic of my undercarriage.

Deal?

Is there a way I can get on the list to never get that?  EVER?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#34]

"SQUAMPSHUS LIKE" nervous or anxious feeling.
http://www.coon-n-crockett.org/cnc~glos.htm
Damn OP.  Well played.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Deal?

Gift me a Gold.

It's not extortion if you bring it up between us first.  

You have 24 hours. I'm squatting over a Nikon as we speak.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#36]
I've made friends with enough Walmart ammo keepers and store managers here - they place orders and whatever shows up, just shows up. They have no control and no information was to what shows up and when.

It's bullshit.      
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Kinda like Member's Mark batteries at Sam's. Seems they all disappear around Christmas time and all you can find are the more expensive ones. They start to show up again sometime in January. It's too manpower intensive to sell ammo this time of the year. May be a big demand for it but actually getting it to the customer takes too much manpower and time.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Local store doubled their ammo shipments since fbho
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#39]
10 posts?

Full of shit
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I am not sure what's less reliable; a gun shop or the Walmart gun counter.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Who the fuck talks to the Walmart weirdo anyhow??  Buy your shit and leave...........
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Don't let the 'man' drag you down!

Chris
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Deal?

Gift me a Gold.

Fuck...

I guess I'll think of it as cheap insurance....
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Deal?

Gift me a Gold.

Fuck...

ARFCOM extortion.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#45]
there is no walmart ammo quarantine,whatever the hell that is supposed to mean

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Gift me a Gold.

Fuck...

...or a missed connection.

Open your mind...and your next private message.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Just walk in to any Wal-Mart and say "Sam Salsa Sent Me".

The clerk will tell you where the salsa is.

Then say "Barry Bread Sent Me."

Then turn around twice.  The clerk will take the secret ammo key out and open the stash.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I've made friends with enough Walmart ammo keepers and store managers here - they place orders and whatever shows up, just shows up. They have no control and no information was to what shows up and when.

It's bullshit.      

actually we have been ordering alot of Win .22lr 555rd/333rd boxes from Winchester(8cases of each on the last order) because the DC cant keep up,a lot of stores dont want to put the effort into it or dont realize they can do it

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#49]

When I grow up I wanna room just like yours......
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top