Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 6:07:33 PM EDT
Have a cheap Stack-on type cabinet and will be storing a couple of older rifles in it for a while (brother's moving and wants a few .22 LR rifles, his 30-30 and shotgun stored for a few months).    I've had it for a while but just stored miscellaneous stuff....I want to put something inside to protect the butts of the guns and for the muzzles to rest against.     Don't want something that might cause rust problems...just wondering what's the best 'liner' (and cheap) for one of those type of storage lockers?

One of these:

Type cabinets, but doesn't have the internal rack for the muzzles (I go it used a long time ago and don't recall it coming with one).

Thanks!

AFARR
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You can buy more of the foam that comes with it at a craft store. Youcould also buy some of the cheapest carpet you can fInd and use that. I hate how AR's are too short to reach the barrel rests in those stackons. I knocked a couple out of wood and put them lower down for AR's. Just a tip
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You can buy more of the foam that comes with it at a craft store. Youcould also buy some of the cheapest carpet you can fInd and use that. I hate how AR's are too short to reach the barrel rests in those stackons. I knocked a couple out of wood and put them lower down for AR's. Just a tip

Just wanted to be sure whatever I put in there didn't cause the contact point to rust.

Thanks!

AFARR
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just wanted to be sure whatever I put in there didn't cause the contact point to rust.

Thanks!

AFARR

Ya if you use carpet make sure its made from a synthetic fiber that won't hold humidity.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Wonderboard.  It'll buy you some time if there's a fire.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

i have 2 AR's in the stack on safe its so annoying that they don't hit the rest.

i might have to cut out some wood like you did
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have a cheap Stack-on type cabinet and will be storing a couple of older rifles in it for a while (brother's moving and wants a few .22 LR rifles, his 30-30 and shotgun stored for a few months).    I've had it for a while but just stored miscellaneous stuff....I want to put something inside to protect the butts of the guns and for the muzzles to rest against.     Don't want something that might cause rust problems...just wondering what's the best 'liner' (and cheap) for one of those type of storage lockers?
One of these:
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_223516_999_01?rgn=0,0,843,2000&scl=3.8095238095238093&fmt=jpeg&id=2KfYgsuJHXuXo05hbfb1zy
Type cabinets, but doesn't have the internal rack for the muzzles (I go it used a long time ago and don't recall it coming with one).
Thanks!
AFARR

http://www.sackups.com/store/cart.php?m=search_results&search=gun%20socks get the Magnum and AR-15 series socks. They will stretch over a magwell and pistol grip, as well as a large bell scope, all on the same rifle.

I have used Sack-up gun socks for many years now, with absolutely no adverse effects. I started in just that sort of security container, in humid and varying climates ranging from WA, GA and TX, stacked and packed in tightly.

By using gun socks, you are also protecting each rifle, etc. from scratches, from the ones around it.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:56:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

i have 2 AR's in the stack on safe its so annoying that they don't hit the rest.  

i might have to cut out some wood like you did

I used one of those plastic cases that VHS rentals used to come is as a base for the rifles I have that are too short to touch the rests otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:08:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I have at least one of those plastic rack things that I don't use from one of their bigger lockers. If you want to measure it out along with the holes I'll gladly send it to you if it fits.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have at least one of those plastic rack things that I don't use from one of their bigger lockers. If you want to measure it out along with the holes I'll gladly send it to you if it fits.

Thanks, but by the time it was shipped, probably be much more expensive than just buying a cheap carpet or cutting wood to fit (and putting a magnetic 'strip' on the back)....in posting this, I realized I have a couple of magnetic tool/knife strips floating around somewhere (just need to find them).   I think putting some felt or other thicker fabric on them (or plastazote, etc...I have access to some)  and putting them against the back wall of the cabinet may work fine.

Thanks for the offer Zcwilkins..it is appreciated.    

Thanks to all other responders.

AFARR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top