Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 3:16:00 PM EDT
My brother got into a car accident three weeks ago, got t-boned by a girl driving a pickup. It all went wrong when it turned out the girl was my brother's former classmate and someone he knew back in high school. She was driving without any insurance and begged my brother not to report it to the police, and he agreed. They had an agreement where he'd take the car to a body shop to be fixed for $2500, and that she would pay.

And now lo and behold, today my brother said that she can't pay. She's making claims about how her bank account is under fraud investigation and that she has no money to pay. Now he has no car and owes $2500 to the body shop. What are his options? My brother wants to sue her now, but I told him it means nothing without a goddamn police report in the first place. Is he fucked?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Does he have collision coverage?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#3]
No, he only had the bare minimum liability insurance.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Small claims.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Well if she never screwed him in high school she sure made up for lost time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#7]

It's his word against hers about what exactly happened, but it is obvious someone smacked into his outfit, and she would have a hard time denying she was there.

However, you aren't gonna net much taking someone to court for $2500 unless it goes to small claims court where you represent yourself.

In either case your brother may get a judgement in his favor, but you can't get blood out of a turnup.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#8]
So she pulled the "I'm a girl and you used to know me so please don't get me in trouble" con.  

Yeah, fuck that.  She's been playing that game for a long time and your family member fell for it hook line and sinker.
Hope he learned his $2500 mistake.  
-SleeperShooter

ETA:  That's why I don't treat women or old acquaintances any different than strangers.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#9]
In Montana it would be civil since you agreed to the deal and no report being made.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's his word against hers about what exactly happened, but it is obvious someone smacked into his outfit, and she would have a hard time denying she was there.

However, you aren't gonna net much taking someone to court for $2500 unless it goes to small claims court where you represent yourself.

In either case your brother may get a judgement in his favor, but you can't get blood out of a turnup.

Unless brother was smart enough to get the agreement in writing.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Picture of girl that was brother's former classmate?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Picture of girl that was brother's former classmate?

This.  Must have information.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't leave an accident without a police report even if it was my fault. The facts need to be legally documented.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well if she never screwed him in high school she sure made up for lost time.

Some of you guys...  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Any witnesses or just his word against her's?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I hope his level of thinking doesn't run in the family.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#18]
She won.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#19]
quiz time

someone driving without insurance (in a state that I assume requires it since she begged to not have it reported) is also likely to be:
a) trustworthy
b) have their finances in order
c) be able to afford a sudden $2500 bill
d) all of the above
e) none of the above

obviously a generality but probably accurate
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Does he have any voicemails saved from her by chance that she is admitting fault or that she cant pay the bill now.  I would call my insurance company and explain the situation to them and see how to proceed.  They may instruct you to file a report now with the police.  He may also try getting her to sign a letter that admits she is at fault and cannot pay as it may help down the road.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#21]
"In God We trust.  All you other motherfuckers pay up front in cash!"
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#22]
did Norcal LEO t-bone your other troll account too?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#23]
He is required by law to report this accident to the police in CA.

I expect that he will learn why it is important to purchase uninsured motorist insurance.

If he sues, and it goes to trial, he will have to pay the trial expenses (about $10,000 here in CA).  If he wins a judgement against her, she can declare bankruptcy and never pay a penny.

The system sucks.

You might want this book:  "How to Win Your Personal Injury Claim", Nolo press.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I hope his level of thinking doesn't run in the family.

Haha no. Seen too many GD threads to know not to drive without full coverage.

Quoted:
Does he have any voicemails saved from her by chance that she is admitting fault or that she cant pay the bill now.  I would call my insurance company and explain the situation to them and see how to proceed.  They may instruct you to file a report now with the police.  He may also try getting her to sign a letter that admits she is at fault and cannot pay as it may help down the road.

Yes he does, he even knows where she lives and everything. I told him to file a police report right now so we'll see how that goes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My brother got into a car accident three weeks ago, got t-boned by a girl driving a pickup. It all went wrong when it turned out the girl was my brother's former classmate and someone he knew back in high school. She was driving without any insurance and begged my brother not to report it to the police, and he agreed. They had an agreement where he'd take the car to a body shop to be fixed for $2500, and that she would pay.

And now lo and behold, today my brother said that she can't pay. She's making claims about how her bank account is under fraud investigation and that she has no money to pay. Now he has no car and owes $2500 to the body shop. What are his options? My brother wants to sue her now, but I told him it means nothing without a goddamn police report in the first place. Is he fucked?

Royally with a huge dildo without lube.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
She was driving without any insurance

I would have never agreed to let her pay, would have called the cops.  What if she had severely injured your brother, incurring hundreds of thousands in medical bills?    

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Lot of people spend more than $2500 on tuition for the school of hard knocks. That's a relatively cheap lesson.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#28]
In my experience, giving somebody a break on something like this never seems to work out very well. Insurance exists for a reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top