Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/21/2012 3:01:43 PM EDT
So im 21, I am a gun-nut...Ive had AK's, AR's, VZ's and about every MIL-SURP out there (almost all gone now )

But at the same time:

I wear earrings
Wear Rayban prescription WAYFARERS (clear lenses)
Love ART
Dress "Nice" (ive been called Gay...WTF is wrong with Dressing NICE?!)
Wear Sperry's
Dont Hunt
History Major/minor in German...I also take Art classes
Very laid back and quiet....
I Rock Climb....and Like Natureish things
(people dont know im NOT Liberal) because I feel I give that vibe....But im not

What Im getting at is.......To my friends, and the General public I have met through school etc. I DONT FIT THE GUN TOT'IN Stereotype....whatever that is?

And I guess, to an extent, yes some of my interests definitely arent compatable to some of my Gun Loving friends....I am sort of a black sheep in that field (around here atleast)

Is anyone else in this boat? Im just curious (and yes I am bored) .....But really I seem to blow people away with my appearance, and interests. then the few that DO see my scary expensive "Assault Weapons" are like NO WAY, or the fact that ive built a couple of AK's and a VZ (not that they know the difference" or Im waiting on an SBR (they dont know what that is either)

Anyway....Anyone share the same experience sorta? .....Its almost like living a double life....as the women I am attracted to, (for some reason,) just arent the gun loving kind, and would never expect it
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So im 21, I am a gun-nut...Ive had AK's, AR's, VZ's and about every MIL-SURP out there (almost all gone now )

But at the same time:

I wear earrings
Love ART
Wear Sperry's
Dont Hunt

What Im getting at is.......To my friends, and the General public I have met through school etc. I DONT FIT THE GUN TOT'IN Stereotype....whatever that is?

And I guess, to an extent, yes some of my interests definitely arent compatable to some of my Gun Loving friends....I am sort of a black sheep in that field (around here atleast)

Is anyone else in this boat? Im just curious (and yes I am bored) .....But really I seem to blow people away with my appearance, and interests. then the few that DO see my scary expensive "Assault Weapons" are like NO WAY, or the fact that ive built a couple of AK's and a VZ (not that they know the difference" or Im waiting on an SBR (they dont know what that is either)

Anyway....Anyone share the same experience sorta? .....Its almost like living a double life....as the women I am attracted to, (for some reason,) just arent the gun loving kind, and would never expect it

You aint a unique slow flake, princess.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

But at the same time:

I wear earrings
Love ART
Wear Sperry's
Dont Hunt

Everyone has their quirks.

I go to a liberal university and was raised in a liberal household...yet love guns and turned conservative.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

But at the same time:

I wear earrings
Love ART
Wear Sperry's
Dont Hunt

*click*
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Free country and all that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Obama likes guns also...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't know there was a gun stereotype....

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Less younger guys are real rootin' tootin' badass redneck gunowers like me. Less people hunt, more children are raised only by mommy, or if both parents were in the household they played soccer and video games instead of tramping the woods with deer rifles. More young guys get into guns from video games or airsoft and are not "culturally" gun owners

Although really you're kind of full of shit. You think gunowners are all a bunch of yee hah country music stereo types with pick up trucks with nascar stickers and mossy oak ball caps?

The owners of the website are computer guys and their father is a doctor. I would guess I've been to the ballet, plays, the symphony and the opera more than you, I just am never mistaken for a homosexual.

No, I think what he's saying is that the general stereotype is that gun owners "are all a bunch of yee hah country music stereo types with pick up trucks with nascar stickers and mossy oak ball caps". That's not necessarily his opinion. Especially since he doesn't fit that mold. I'm guessing he realizes that means others don't either.

It's quite obvious that there are lots of people who break that stereotype. The majority of the staff doesn't seem to fit that idea. I don't know how anyone on this site could miss it.

Also, you it's apparent you viewed lots of dick today, so I kinda mistook you for a homosexual.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL!! Im similar. I am not your typical redneck, never accused of being gay either. I hold down a good job that requires I wear a collared shirt, slacks and nice shoes along with the occasional tie.
Most folks are surprised to see I own guns, land, a large (2 acre) garden, hunt, fish, own ATV's and boats as well as drive a pick up truck. To a man and woman all my collegues drive Mercedes, BMW, Cadilac and Lexus.
 The stereo types drive me batshit. I bring home more bacon and have more shit than 90% of  the yup's who think there shit dont stink around me. thing is they dont know I can smell there espresso ass..
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#10]
You're 21, you aren't specical. There are even people who like guns who LOVE the cawk too.

Get over yourself.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I didn't know there was a gun stereotype....

I didnt either.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Less younger guys are real rootin' tootin' badass redneck gunowers like me. Less people hunt, more children are raised only by mommy, or if both parents were in the household they played soccer and video games instead of tramping the woods with deer rifles. More young guys get into guns from video games or airsoft and are not "culturally" gun owners

Although really you're kind of full of shit. You think gunowners are all a bunch of yee hah country music stereo types with pick up trucks with nascar stickers and mossy oak ball caps?

The owners of the website are computer guys and their father is a doctor. I would guess I've been to the ballet, plays, the symphony and the opera more than you, I just am never mistaken for a homosexual.

edit I might buy me a mossy oak hat

I hate country music.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LOL!! Im similar. I am not your typical redneck, never accused of being gay either. I hold down a good job that requires I wear a collared shirt, slacks and nice shoes along with the occasional tie.
Most folks are surprised to see I own guns, land, a large (2 acre) garden, hunt, fish, own ATV's and boats as well as drive a pick up truck. To a man and woman all my collegues drive Mercedes, BMW, Cadilac and Lexus.
 The stereo types drive me batshit. I bring home more bacon and have more shit than 90% of  the yup's who think there shit dont stink around me. thing is they dont know I can smell there espresso ass..

I'm the same way. I work for a biotech company, like my nice clothes, good restaurants, and ducatis. But still show up to work in a diesel F-350 covered in mud, hunt, farm, work on all my own cars and trucks, race motorcycles, make homemade whine and every other redneck thing possible.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife's cousin thinks it is weird that I like guns because I don't have a military background. She also thinks that unless you are ex-military you shouldn't be allowed to own "assault rifles".

Needless to say, I don't like my wife's cousin.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My wife's cousin thinks it is weird that I like guns because I don't have a military background. She also thinks that unless you are ex-military you shouldn't be allowed to own "assault rifles".

Needless to say, I don't like my wife's cousin.

He gets the left wing tomorrow at Thanksgiving dinner.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't fit into the GUN NUT STEREOTYPE either... I'm not fat.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I can see the majority of the people who have posted here have missed the point probably due to ignorance and not fully understanding what I had typed.

Never said I was unique or special. I also dont stereotype. This took a wrong turn.

Owell.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I need a picture of the OP before I subscribe to this thread.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Fuck them all.

Be yourself!

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#20]
If it walks like a duck...

You dress like a gay and/or hipster and/or liberal.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#21]
History major? What's your plan with that.... going to teach?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I wear earrings
Love ART
Wear Sperry's
Dont Hunt

What Im getting at is.......

You really enjoyed the arfcockolypse thread last night?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I was raised in suburban Chicago by a blue collar dad and stat at home mom. He occasionally went skeet shooting, and never hunted or camped. Dad's big thing was football. Being disabled, I grew up into a bookworm, reading books on archeology, space travel and everything in between.

I got into guns at 14 when I became politically aware of the Cold War and curios about survivalism. Despite living in anti-gun Chicagoland, I bought my first revolver at 21 taught myself to shoot. I bought my first AR at 30. I've always liked hiking and got into hunting as an extension of that. I earned a Liberal Arts degree, majoring in Anthropology, but never became a liberal.

I became interested in concealed carry after an attempted mugging in Chicago and worked ten years as an activist and spokesman for a "radical" pro-gun group.

After 40 years in Chicagoland and a 20+ year career in advertising and computer based publishing, I left the People's State of Illinois and relocated to rural NE Wisconsin, when I enjoy reading, hiking,  ATV'ing and shooting. I've taken up deer hunting.

I'm well educated, I love museums and cultural pursuits. I've been described as worldly and sophisticated. I'm a computer geek and devoted Mac-guy.

I'm very far from a stereotypical "gun nut". I might watch an occasional NFL game, but that's it. Major league sports don't interest me. Neither does fishing or NASCAR.I don't play video games. I drive a Dodge Caliber hatchback, not a pickup truck. I prefer Sting to Big and Rich. Country-pop music nauseates me.

I think most ARFCOMER's are non-traditional shooters.

ckmorley
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
History major? What's your plan with that.... going to teach?

Possibly, Fact of the matter is I am not sure what I want to do yet, I am a Crossfit Trainer 'part time' right now with a good chance of a future there. Which is truly my passion.

I wanted to be a Police Officer but some unwise decisions in College kind of closed that door...

In all honesty I am just really interested in History, right now I am doing some in depth research on the Eastern Front during WWII....Also with our alliance with Russia during the same period...

Its amazing what you can learn about your own country and the people who 'ran' it that is not taught in class.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

snip....

TL:DR

Are you SURE you're not gay???

Only gay people type that much without it being entertaining.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well I can see the majority of the people who have posted here have missed the point probably due to ignorance and not fully understanding what I had typed.

Never said I was unique or special. I also dont stereotype. This took a wrong turn.

Owell.

Yes you are 100% correct,  I mistook what was written in your OP, due to ignorance.  My lack of reading comprehension may have also had something to do with it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Thread needs pictures to decide if OP is gay or not.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was raised in suburban Chicago by a blue collar dad and stat at home mom. He occasionally went skeet shooting, and never hunted or camped. Dad's big thing was football. Being disabled, I grew up into a bookworm, reading books on archeology, space travel and everything in between.

I got into guns at 14 when I became politically aware of the Cold War and curios about survivalism. Despite living in anti-gun Chicagoland, I bought my first revolver at 21 taught myself to shoot. I bought my first AR at 30. I've always liked hiking and got into hunting as an extension of that. I earned a Liberal Arts degree, majoring in Anthropology, but never became a liberal.

I became interested in concealed carry after an attempted mugging in Chicago and worked ten years as an activist and spokesman for a "radical" pro-gun group.

After 40 years in Chicagoland and a 20+ year career in advertising and computer based publishing, I left the People's State of Illinois and relocated to rural NE Wisconsin, when I enjoy reading, hiking,  ATV'ing and shooting. I've taken up deer hunting.

I'm well educated, I love museums and cultural pursuits. I've been described as worldly and sophisticated. I'm a computer geek and devoted Mac-guy.

I'm very far from a stereotypical "gun nut". I might watch an occasional NFL game, but that's it. Major league sports don't interest me. Neither does fishing or NASCAR.I don't play video games. I drive a Dodge Caliber hatchback, not a pickup truck. I prefer Sting to Big and Rich. Country-pop music nauseates me.

ckmorley

This is a very good example, and what I was looking for, although I might have exaggerated the whole being called a "Gay" thing I think it directly relates, because of the 'enviroment' one grows up in, it may dictate how one carries himself, along with the clothing he/she wears, does not directly relate to their thinking and POV's....

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm from the Bronx and my family has always been into hunting and guns.
My late Grandfather hunted in the Bronx when it was farm land over 90 something years ago.

Just sound like your a little to Metro there dude.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Owell.

Yes you are 100% correct,  I mistook what was written in your OP, due to ignorance.  My lack of reading comprehension may have also had something to do with it.

Thanks for the clarification, you can work on that ya know? Some very good books out there for people who need help with 'Reading Comprehension'.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#31]
It was either that or you sound like every other metro sexual hipster type of your age group
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm from the Bronx and my family has always been into hunting and guns.
My late Grandfather hunted in the Bronx when it was farm land over 90 something years ago.

Just sound like your a little to Metro there dude.

If it were up to me and some day it will be I want to move out west. Unfortunately where I am now, it is not like that.

There is nothing wrong with the way I dress per say, again it is a common stereotype related to ignorance, which is what Im going for here and people seem to be missing it. (Kind of ironic really)

I am not however, going to 'wear a Mossy Oak  hat' as one has mentioned to make my "Balls Bigger"

Do you honestly believe because of the way one dresses relates directly to their sexuality? Man, be careful. Id hate to see a "Prep gay lookin dude" beat up a "Redneck in his mossy hat, boots, and white T"....
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It was either that or you sound like every other metro sexual hipster type of your age group

Thanks for solidifying my hypothesis on Ignorant people, unfortunately youre just on the other side. Youre one of those gun-loving guys that thinks Im queer because of the way I dress. Or maybe youre just offended by my Educamocated outlook.......

Ignorance....if you dont understand something you immediately go on the defensive with insults.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Owell.

Thanks for the clarification, you can work on that ya know? Some very good books out there for people who need help with 'Reading Comprehension'.

Oh I get it,you're a snarky hipster.News flash....you're 21 years old..you don't know shit about shit.The older you get,the more you will realize it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Has anyone maybe thought that I had started this thread specifically to see how people reacted to the information above?

Probably not, and you probably dont care. It honestly amazes me though, how older adults can say such ridiculous (and Im going to use my favorite word here) IGNORANT things.

Of course this is the internet and people ALWAYS say things they wouldn't to someones face but heres the catch , its not because theyre 'Afraid' of the guy on the other end. No, not afraid but would probably be embarrassed because what they had said was STUPID.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Owell.

Oh I get it,you're a snarky hipster.News flash....you're 21 years old..you don't know shit about shit.The older you get,the more you will realize it.

The older I will get the more I will realize wisdom doesnt come to everyone with age. As you are solidifying right now, There are still uneducated IGNORANT people out there and that will never change.

When did someones IQ become directly related to age? Sure some, if not alot of things come from experience and time but only if said person is willing to learn from it.

And please enlighten me where you are getting that I am a Hipster, are you stereotyping me by the description given above?????GASP

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Has anyone maybe thought that I had started this thread specifically to see how people reacted to the information above?

Probably not, and you probably dont care. It honestly amazes me though, how older adults can say such ridiculous (and Im going to use my favorite word here) IGNORANT things.

Of course this is the internet and people ALWAYS say things they wouldn't to someones face but heres the catch , its not because theyre 'Afraid' of the guy on the other end. No, not afraid but would probably be embarrassed because what they had said was STUPID.

Yeah, I defended you once in this thread, but the part in red is making me regret it. It is either bullshit, or arrogant chickenshit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I am with you hemiman. I went to an ultra liberal college and graduated in the top 5% of my class (Business Management). I wear Sperrys, Vineyard Vines, and Brooks Brothers.....to go shooting. I am from MA originally. I listen to Massive Attack. I like to be in the woods for things other than hunting (I do like to hunt though but not addicted like most) I volunteer my time for a couple local charities, I give blood constantly, and my prescription glasses are in Ted Baker frames. When people find out I have suppressors and SBRs and a pretty good amount of semiautomatic magazine fed long guns, they think either I am some kind of government spook or I am Ted Kaczynski (who by the way has a lot of admirers in Academia ) I think its more a product of who you surround yourself with than being unique.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

So on top of being a snarky hipster you're an attention whore.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Troll with a thin skin is amoungst us.   Complete with his own sterotypical thinking.

GD
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

ckmorley

It sounds like you've worked for a full and intresting life. Admirable.
I think that you as a gun owner or gun nut are the rule rather than the exception. Generally people who have the intelligence and drive to learn a subject in any depth exibit that trait in all areas of their life.
This is certainly true of people I know.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for solidifying my hypothesis on Ignorant people, unfortunately youre just on the other side. Youre one of those gun-loving guys that thinks Im queer because of the way I dress. Or maybe youre just offended by my Educamocated outlook.......

Ignorance....if you dont understand something you immediately go on the defensive with insults.

I am not throwing out insults.  I am not basing anything off the way you look, as I have never seen you.  I am basing my entire image of you from the information you provided in your OP.  It may not have been the message you wanted to put across but it screams, "look at me I am special."

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I defended you once in this thread, but the part in red is making me regret it. It is either bullshit, or arrogant chickenshit.

Dont be, I very much enjoyed ATLEAST one person sticking up for the little guy, I am not trying to start a fight, it is purely educational and maybe I am telling the truth..
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Everyone is a bit different. This isnt a coming out thread is it?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#45]
I think you also forgot "arrogant" in your gun resume´...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#46]
is this your eharmony.com profile?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not throwing out insults.  I am not basing anything off the way you look, as I have never seen you.  I am basing my entire image of you from the information you provided in your OP.  It may not have been the message you wanted to put across but it screams, "look at me I am special."

I am sorry it came off this way, believe me it was not my intent. The last thing I expected was what I have received in this thread.

But I believe I have made some very valid points. Not directed toward anyone specifically of course.

And I am not a Troll.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Owell.

The older I will get the more I will realize wisdom doesnt come to everyone with age. As you are solidifying right now, There are still uneducated IGNORANT people out there and that will never change.

When did someones IQ become directly related to age? Sure some, if not alot of things come from experience and time but only if said person is willing to learn from it.

And please enlighten me where you are getting that I am a Hipster, are you stereotyping me by the description given above?????GASP

Ha,I remember when I knew it all as well.Enjoy it while you can fella.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Congratulations, you've been feminized.

Enjoy your shoes.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Im am going to request this thread be locked,

Like I had said before, this post took a wrong turn. Maybe I just worded my original post wrong, who knows.

Although it has been entertaining I am bored seeing all the shallow smites made towards me .....

Good thing its the internet.

Farewell fellow gun enthusiasts!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top