Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 12:42:35 PM EDT
I tucked my beloved 1994 Z-28 away in my lower garage for winter storage...

The garage is dry, and has absolutely no water intrusion.

My question is, should I leave a window cracked?  In years past I stored Ina climate controlled storage unit, so there were no swings in temperature, and no chance of humidity/condensation buildup in the car.  My lower garage unfortunately does not have the luxury of being climate controlled, and is susseptible to swings in temperature/humidity, pretty much as the outside temperature is as it is not below ground and I only mildly insulated.  

To crack or not to crack the window, that IS the question...

PS: happy thanksgiving!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd leave it rolled up and place one of those Dry-Z-Air units on the floorboard.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]

I would leave the window slightly open.   But on second thought, this might invite rodent intruders.  Maybe it would be better to just leave it closed and to use some gel to absorb any moisture.

I have been storing my 1973 Cadillac every year since 2003 and all I ever do is make sure the oil is fresh and clean and that their is gasoline stablizer in the tank.

I also make sure to remove the battery and to use a proper car cover.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Remove battery, start/run it when you can once a month.  Fuel stabilizer, if you can get non ethanol fuel that would help.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#4]
It'll be fine as long as it is dry inside the car when you put it in garage.  As far as humidity goes, you live in Connecticutt - unless you are right on the water you don't have what could be considered humidity, particularly in the winter.  If you are that worried about a '94 camaro, put a heater in there to keep the temp above the dew point.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I recommend you get two large rubber corks from the hardware store, put one under each wiper arm to raise the blades up off the windshield.  This will save the blades over a long storage period.  Be sure to add Sta-Bil or similar fuel stabilizer to your tank, as today's gas deteriorates rapidly.  A Battery Tender is also a good idea, but be sure to check the electrolyte level in the battery every week or so (unless you have an AGM battery, in which case there is no need).   The above based on lessons learned over long years of collecting and storing cars.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd leave it rolled up and place one of those Dry-Z-Air units on the floorboard.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top