Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/21/2012 8:07:25 AM EDT
The show that got me started liking Military style rifles has been remade.  I am excited to go see it.  It makes me wonder though, how many AR15's and other military Style rifles are in the hands of civilians in the USA today??  I would think that it has to be in the 10's of millions.  In the beginning of WWII the us govt had a severe shortage of rifles and were sending a lot of troops into battle with older outdated 03 and Enfield rifles.  Today there is enough rifles in the hands of civilians to arm a substantial army.  Very similar to the revolutionary war days, as it should be.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:31:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Reminds me of an interveiw that was held with Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto , who was asked. Why didnt Japan invade the west coast of the United States right after the pearl Harbor attack, since it was obvious that the U.S. did not have the ability to repulse it, and his statement was
“You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.” .

Not to mention the fact that they didnt have the resources or logistics, nor the desire to invade. They just wanted the Pacific.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#2]
IBTL
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:34:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Woot, going to see it tonight!  There are a ton of black rifles out there.  I've helped 3 people buy their first this year.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#4]
007 Skyfall or Red Dawn. decisions, decisions
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:59:36 AM EDT
[#5]
see you guys later today in the GD
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Reminds me of an interveiw that was held with Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto , who was asked. Why didnt Japan invade the west coast of the United States right after the pearl Harbor attack, since it was obvious that the U.S. did not have the ability to repulse it, and his statement was
“You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.” .

Not to mention the fact that they didnt have the resources or logistics, nor the desire to invade. They just wanted the Pacific.

That's a great quote, but unfortunately, urban legend.

http://factcheck.org/2009/05/misquoting-yamamoto/
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Loved the first one and can't wait to see this one.  We should fear our own government more than some rough nation dropping in and trying to take over.  It has been over 150 years since the last attempted government take-over and the next is not far off.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:38:57 AM EDT
[#8]
You can't touch the Original.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always wondered when they interviewed him. After he was killed or before ...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#10]
"What makes us any different from them..........Because we LIVE here."    BANG
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#11]
The new one looks gay.......

Skyfall was mediocre.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Honestly this film (Red Dawn) looks like pure garbage. Like, Call of Duty, 12 year old wrote the script levels of garbage. I'm amazed such a movie could be released in 2012. I'm just glad I'm not Korean American, and don't have to inevitably explain to people the difference between North and South Korea.

A remake set in the 80s (the only era appropriate for such a movie) would've been awesome, complete with period weapons. Instead, they make a movie that is, well, "insensitive", to put it lightly.

Go for Skyfall, it's at least decent.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Doesn't look any worse than the first one, which in your reference point, makes the first one garbage too.

In fact, Spike just had the original one on not too many days ago.  I laughed at all the crap they had for technical errors in the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoqlBHSePw0

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Doesn't look any worse than the first one, which in your reference point, makes the first one garbage too.

In fact, Spike just had the original one on not too many days ago.  I laughed at all the crap they had for technical errors in the movie.

Nobody knows guns like a newb from illinois.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The new one looks gay.......

Skyfall was mediocre.

What about Twilight?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The first one was awesome when I was 6.  I watched it recently and could barely make it through it.  My wife got up and went outside to work in the yard.  I really wish I didn't watch it again.

CHRIS

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Elaborate on the technical errors, please?

We know that the DshK was actually a mocked-up M60, and that the AK-74's were really standard Maadi AKM's with metal stocks, and that the Hind helicopter had the wrong number of blades.

All forgivable because the correct items were completely unavailable.

C'mon man, it's John Milius!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You must not be on arfcom, get both!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Hey guys, you made it!!! Will have to wait for the DVRs on these. I don't do movie theaters...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#20]
The original Red Dawn is the reason I bought my first AK ....way back in the 80's....I still have it....
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I might see it during a matinee, just out of curiosity.  After all it was made three or so years ago, sat in limbo, then the main bad guys (China) had been re-edited into North Koreans.  How bad can it be?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Massive. Let. Down.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Massive. Let. Down.

Bah I was going to take my nephew to watch it too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I went last night... If you forgive it for trying to remake our classic arfcom training documentary, and look at it as a whole new movie. It's not bad. Lots of action and such. But if you want it to follow the original you will be sorely disappointed.

I'll give it a solid 7.5/10
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Massive. Let. Down.

Maybe I'm just bitter, but I thought it was watered down, dumbed down, and corny.  I'm not going to give anything away, but I thought they left out a lot of the details that made the original seem semi-plausible/ scary.

The new one just didn't capture the "feel" of the struggle for me.

Your nephew might like it though, especially if he's never seen the original and has nothing to compare it to.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And nobody knows how to hold up election results like Florida.  Don't throw rocks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Massive. Let. Down.

Maybe I'm just bitter, but I thought it was watered down, dumbed down, and corny.  I'm not going to give anything away, but I thought they left out a lot of the details that made the original seem semi-plausible/ scary.

Your nephew might like it though, especially if he's never seen the original and has nothing to compare it to.

he's 16, loved expendables and expendables 2, really understands gun safety and is going to grow up a great individual I believe. Figured he'd like to go see this movie since I thought it was a classic back in my time. I still may go watch it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Massive. Let. Down.

he's 16, loved expendables and expendables 2, really understands gun safety and is going to grow up a great individual I believe. Figured he'd like to go see this movie since I thought it was a classic back in my time. I still may go watch it.

Meh, I'd say it might be worthwhile to see it in that case.  It still has a "good message", I was just disappointed in the delivery.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I really dont think that example would hold up today.  I think if everything being equal today, except the attitude of today's American people, the Admiral would have said, "Full speed ahead".

John
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prof. Goldstein: I have never seen it in writing. It has been attributed to the Prange files [the files of the late Gordon W. Prange, chief historian on the staff of Gen. Douglas MacArthur] but no one had ever seen it or cited it from where they got it. Some people say that it came from our work but I never said it. … As of today it is bogus until someone can cite when and where.

We make no argument either for or against gun ownership.  But we do object to fabricating quotes and passing them off as historical fact.

We can't prove or document he said that as of today, which means that we automatically can prove the negative that he didn't? I keep remembering why I stopped taking factcheck.org seriously.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Back in the day the russkies invading was sort of possible, today china invading is even less possible but it would make for a good story.
Having the norks invade is as likely as Luxembourg, Swaziland or Iceland invading.
The producers changed the invader from chicoms to the norks so as not to offend the chicoms and mess up any chances of losing money in the chicom market.
Not going to bother with this PC steamer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.” .

Prof. Goldstein: I have never seen it in writing. It has been attributed to the Prange files [the files of the late Gordon W. Prange, chief historian on the staff of Gen. Douglas MacArthur] but no one had ever seen it or cited it from where they got it. Some people say that it came from our work but I never said it. … As of today it is bogus until someone can cite when and where.

We make no argument either for or against gun ownership.  But we do object to fabricating quotes and passing them off as historical fact.

We can't prove or document he said that as of today, which means that we automatically can prove the negative that he didn't? I keep remembering why I stopped taking factcheck.org seriously.

QFT

About as reliable as politifact

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#33]

Agreed...........it's a good reason to buy an AK.
No folding stocks for me.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#34]
My Class 3 dealer has a registered full auto AK47 that was used in the original Red Dawn movie.

I got to finger fuck it one time.  It was awesome.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#35]
If you're taking you kid to go see it I'd say it's worth it. No, it can't hold a candle to the original Red Dawn, but if you don't think of it as a Red Dawn remake, it stands on its own as generic action flick. They do make some homages to the original which will have you laughing out loud in the theatre! And there's one scene which I totally didn't expect in any movie, ever!

Worth a matinee ticket at least.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#36]
I have tickets for 6:45 seeing in the theater on it's first day just like I did in 1984
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Woot, going to see it tonight!  There are a ton of black rifles out there.  I've helped 3 people buy their first this year.

Let us know how it turns out
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you're taking you kid to go see it I'd say it's worth it. No, it can't hold a candle to the original Red Dawn, but if you don't think of it as a Red Dawn remake, it stands on its own as generic action flick. They do make some homages to the original which will have you laughing out loud in the theatre! And there's one scene which I totally didn't expect in any movie, ever!

Which one?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Honestly this film (Red Dawn) looks like pure garbage. Like, Call of Duty, 12 year old wrote the script levels of garbage. I'm amazed such a movie could be released in 2012. I'm just glad I'm not Korean American, and don't have to inevitably explain to people the difference between North and South Korea.

A remake set in the 80s (the only era appropriate for such a movie) would've been awesome, complete with period weapons. Instead, they make a movie that is, well, "insensitive", to put it lightly.

Go for Skyfall, it's at least decent.

lol?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#40]
This

He probably prefers Twilight anyway

Free

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Skyfall is a badass movie
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which one?

Tec-9

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And nobody knows how to hold up election results like Florida.  Don't throw rocks.

And 600,000,000 screaming Chinamen say fook yiu.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have tickets for 6:45 seeing in the theater on it's first day just like I did in 1984

My dad took me to the original in 84, today i took my son to see the remake.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And 600,000,000 screaming Chinamen say fook yiu.

I thought it was a billion????
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Back in the day the russkies invading was sort of possible, today china invading is even less possible but it would make for a good story.
Having the norks invade is as likely as Luxembourg, Swaziland or Iceland invading.
The producers changed the invader from chicoms to the norks so as not to offend the chicoms and mess up any chances of losing money in the chicom market.

I remember a Cheesy movie from the early 70's about the Chinese attempting to invade the U.S. vis tunnels through the earth (lol). Anyone remember the movie? I was about 10yrs old when I saw it and I was laughing then.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which one?

Tec-9

THAT WAS EPIC!!! I was rolling over that one.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This is my biggest problem with it. In the back of our minds we knew that the cold war could possibly warm up. If the US suffered a crippling oil embargo/severe economic down turn  coupled with a lack of allies abroad, crazy Ivan might have started something if desperate enough. With the Koreans as the threat now it would take an hour of screen time to set up even a semi plausible scenario. Half the film would have to be this scrolling across the screen:

"Soviet Union suffers worst wheat harvest in 55 years... Labor and food riots in Poland. Soviet troops invade... Cuba and Nicaragua reach troop strength goals of 500,000. El Salvador and Honduras fall... Greens Party gains control of West German Parliament. Demands withdrawal of nuclear weapons from European soil... Mexico plunged into revolution... NATO dissolves. United States stands alone."
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz55/ma96782/AR15dotcom/reddawn_wolv.jpg
Agreed...........it's a good reason to buy an AK.
No folding stocks for me.

Aloha, Mark

- Clint

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I might see it during a matinee, just out of curiosity.  After all it was made three or so years ago, sat in limbo, then the main bad guys (China) had been re-edited into North Koreans.  How bad can it be?

China successfully invading the US makes some sense, if they wanted to they could do it but North Korea invading the US is just a joke.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top