Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/21/2012 7:44:22 AM EDT
I figured I shouldn't derail the current fake SEAL thread.

My next door neighbor has an Arny Ranger license plate. It has the years he was in during Vietnam and LRRP.

I thought a recon Ranger was pretty badass, so when I bought the place I asked him about it. He said he was a Ranger and was in Vietnam, but nothing else.

He's kinda weird, but always friendly...he actually stopped down my shop on Veteran's Day and asked to borrow $20 because he forgot the banks were closed.

I told him: how could you forget; you're a veteran He didn't think that was funny.

Anyway, after I explained to my GF that Rangers are pretty badass she thinks he's lying

Is there any way to look up Rangers?

Speed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Been inside his house? probably has pics and memorabilia from his service. That should suffice.

Jim
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Been inside his house? probably has pics and memorabilia from his service. That should suffice.

Jim

Shit, half of those fake seals you see have bought ribbons and everything under the sun. I've met a fake Marine even with the tattoo.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#3]
In the short description above... My gut tells me he is legit.
Staying tight-lipped and not telling some story about hunting Ho-Chi-Min leads me in that direction. Does every story start with "when I was a ranger"?
You could just ask him to see hid DD214 ... make up some excuse to see the older awards or something. Ask him if he was tabbed AND scrolled?
You could also, casually, mention Harmony Church... gauge his reaction...

OR - even better - tell him you have a co-worker or someone telling you they were a Ranger... and ask him for some suggestions to verify the claim.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Jim

My dad was a LRRP in Vietnam and you would never know it by walking through his house. He never talks about it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Hell,I saw a buncha old people pining lil ranger patches on fake rangers at Benning a while back. ETA FU spell checker
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Jim

From personal experience being in a known Ranger's house, I have never seen anything displayed in the main part of the house.

PAR

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#7]
If he's not scamming people or being obnoxious about it let it go or instead of being paranoid tell him you're interested in his experiences and would enjoy looking at photos and memorabilia.  You might just google his name.  A lot of those guys are mentioned in books like Linderer's.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

My dad was a LRRP in Vietnam and you would never know it by walking through his house. He never talks about it.

Does your dad live near the OP? This could end up being easy to solve.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Staying tight-lipped and not telling some story about hunting Ho-Chi-Min leads me in that direction. Does every story start with "when I was a ranger"?

You could just ask him to see hid DD214 ... make up some excuse to see the older awards or something. Ask him if he was tabbed AND scrolled?

No, he's never said anything about it other than when I asked him. I don't see his truck down at the VFW or Legion either.

He keeps to himself for the most part, but has offered to lend me tools and things before (I never asked, I have my own tools).

In talking about home security, he told me he has a couple rifles, but nothing about his service.

For those reasons I figured he was pretty legit, but my GF insists his license plate is a lie

I was just wondering if there was some database I could look up his name and years he served in...

Speed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

OR - even better - tell him you have a co-worker or someone telling you they were a Ranger... and ask him for some suggestions to verify the claim.

Lots of LRRP units were not Scrolled but are still part of the lineage.  Company designations and 75th Scrolls came about later in the war.

All my books are boxed up right now or I'd look up the exact dates for you.  The index in the book: To Fight With Intrepity (sp) is a good source if you're looking.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

Shit, half of those fake seals you see have bought ribbons and everything under the sun. I've met a fake Marine even with the tattoo.

I was not talking about an I love me wall. I know some of those guys that have a group pic with buddies and stuff like that.  In fact I have a pic of me and the guys in my unit in Kuwait hanging in my gun room....I guess i'm in the minority?

Jim
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You know, my Father was in Vietnam and I looked at his DD214 and let me say that back then, they were not so great about putting much of anything on that VERY important document.  I looked at that yellowing piece of paper that he keeps in his gun safe and there wasn't much of anything on it.  However, his "I Love me" book has all of his awards, Unit Citations, Tabs, qualifications, and pictures.  When I showed him my DD214, he stated "HOLY SH!T".  And it's unfortunate that nowadays people see fit to impersonate Service Members just so they can get in on the "free stuff" that good people are willing to give those that served their country.  That is why I have to carry around a redacted DD214 (SS# blacked out) just to prove it along with my VA ID card.  Not to mention that in this economy, when I shift jobs every three months or so, employers want to have your DD214.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I would surmise there are a lot more ex rangers than there are ex seals.  Being a real Seal puts you into a pretty exclusive group.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

Nope.

So,  a picture of the man in uniform in a remote location taken years ago hanging in his house would not suffice?
Jim
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, he's never said anything about it other than when I asked him. I don't see his truck down at the VFW or Legion either.
He keeps to himself for the most part, but has offered to lend me tools and things before (I never asked, I have my own tools).
In talking about home security, he told me he has a couple rifles, but nothing about his service.

For those reasons I figured he was pretty legit, but my GF insists his license plate is a lie
I was just wondering if there was some database I could look up his name and years he served in...

Speed

Is he sporting a Ranger Tab license plate?  If so you could maybe ask one of the Rangers over at SOCNET or armyranger.com. They will need his class number though and that's only if you can find somebody who has access to the green cards.

There's not a public data base though. However, the Ranger School website does slow the class pictures.  Virtually impossible to pick out people in the crowd though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

Nope.

So,  a picture of the man in uniform in a remote location taken years ago hanging in his house would not suffice?
Jim

Nope. I will find some links to some of the better posers and you can see how they photoshop, buy certs online, get tats and "dress" their home to further the fantasy.  It never ceases to amaze me how far some of these guys take the charade.

I am not saying the neighbor is a fraud based on a single conversation, but don't underestimate the lengths these creeps go to.

Sad indeed. I have seen a few of these cases but it seems that everyone is now suspected of being a poser. I guess I better take down that picture of me shooting velociraptors from the space shuttle down
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

Is he sporting a Ranger Tab license plate?

IDK what that is, but he has a novelty plate on the front. It's very busy; it has a lot of info on there and I cannot find anything similar on google images.

Speed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Does he always have a knife ?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

IDK what that is, but he has a novelty plate on the front. It's very busy; it has a lot of info on there and I cannot find anything similar on google images.

Speed

Ranger Tab license Plate

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

VFW and American Legion are clubs as much as anything else. If he doesn't care for the environment, or some of the people who go there, he won't go there. My father never had anything to do with either one.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:22:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

Speed

Ranger Tab license Plate

http://www.flags-by-swi.com/F13-TAB.JPEG

Now. His is full of stuff.

It has Vietnam, his dates (71-75 IIRC), Rangers, various symbols, and LRRP in smaller letters...I picked up on that when I saw it

Speed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't see anything to base suspicion on.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#27]
HEY OP,

Why dont you go down to the DMV and try to get Ranger plates for your car, then get back to us as to whether you still think the guy is fake.

Or better yet....leave it alone!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

Nope.

Jim

I am not saying the neighbor is a fraud based on a single conversation, but don't underestimate the lengths these creeps go to.

Probably less than the lengths you guys go to trying to dig up dirt on people....

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#29]
75th Ranger Regiment Association Page

don't know if this will help you or not.  

Me, I'd leave the guy alone unless he started thumping his chest.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

HEY OP,

Why dont you go down to the DMV and try to get Ranger plates for your car, then get back to us as to whether you still think the guy is fake.

Or better yet....leave it alone!

Hey, why don't you read the thread and take note that my neighbor has a VANITY PLATE. It's not "issued" by anyone except the retailer that sold it

Speed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Why does it bother you so much? Is he out panhandling? Scamming you?

I don't get all these "LET'S OUT THIS SUPPOSED IMPOSTOR!!!!" threads.

I was an Infantryman in the early 80's. I went to the 1/75th at Hunter Army Air Field. I went to Ranger school, got dropped from a road march due to being too sick after going through OSUT and airborne school through the winter/spring. I was sick as shit. You didn't get a second chance if you got dropped back then.

Got sent to the 101st after that and ETS'd from there. I'm proud of the fact I got a chance. Had of I been less sick, I'd have made that shit. Not many people even get that far who try.

Who fucking cares? I have a Ranger sticker on my truck along with my vet plate. I don't go to the legion or amvets clubs. Want to come give me shit?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#32]
If you're really that keen on checking, you could try contacting the USARA. I know one of the regional directors...he had stories of posers that got outed constantly for saying that they were "Army Rangers".

Personally, I would just leave the guy alone...but then again, I've never been the type to seek unnecessary confrontation.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#33]
I just tried it with a guy I knew who is a certified bad-ass Vietnam LRRP, ranger, SF and didn't really come up with much on him so google won't really prove anything.

I'm no bad-ass but if you were in my house you wouldn't even know I'm a vet other than two small photos and one is in a collage frame and you probably wouldn't notice it and the other is in my bathroom.

Quoted:
You might just google his name.  A lot of those guys are mentioned in books like Linderer's.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

LOL my dad was a Ranger and starts EVERY STORY LIKE THAT.

"Back in Ranger school..."
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I was an Infantryman in the early 80's. I went to the 1/75th at Hunter Army Air Field. I went to Ranger school, got dropped from a road march due to being too sick after going through OSUT and airborne school through the winter/spring. I was sick as shit. You didn't get a second chance if you got dropped back then.

Got sent to the 101st after that and ETS'd from there. I'm proud of the fact I got a chance. Had of I been less sick, I'd have made that shit. Not many people even get that far who try.

Who fucking cares? I have a Ranger sticker on my truck along with my vet plate. I don't go to the legion or amvets clubs. Want to come give me shit?

Not being a Ranger it's not my place to tell you that sporting a Ranger sticker is wrong, but I think a Ranger will be along to tell you that it is.  You have to admit, it lends the impression that you were a Ranger.  Years ago I used to have an Infantry bumper sticker that had the crossed rifles and a CIB.  I cut the CIB off because I don't have one.  Sporting an icon that must be earned is just not good practice.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Apparently my old neighbor is a former SEAL.

He has never said anything about it but his wife mentioned it to my mother once.

It would make sense though, the guys is an absolute fish.  Every fairly decent day in summer he is heading down to the lake with his jetski or some other shit.  The guy is covered in navy/mil tats but keeps them mostly hidden when he's in public.

Fit as a bull even though he's got to be in his late 50's at least.  I don't really question it.  He seems to fit the bill perfectly but never goes around making claims or even talking about it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#37]
I am not trying to confront, or out the guy or anything. I don't care that much, but my gf does, especially after our house was burglarized last month

I just wanted to know if I could look up his name; not contact the fucking press or get into some showdown with him.

Man, you guys just jump right to the extreme with this stuff. It was a simple question.

Speed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#38]
As stated by someone else, unless hes thumping his chest who gives a shit.

I work in a large store and am "lucky" enough to have 2 coworkers who claim to be former SEALS and Rangers.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I am not trying to confront, or out the guy or anything. I don't care that much, but my gf does, especially after our house was burglarized last month
I just wanted to know if I could look up his name; not contact the fucking press or get into some showdown with him.

Man, you guys just jump right to the extreme with this stuff. It was a simple question.

Speed

What does that have to do with it?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Must be a service thing. Never served and don't really care if someone is a poser.
I also think the ones who never say a word are probably the real thing.
Had a worker always telling vietnam war stories. Not knowing much about the military I alone could
tel he was BS. The "Old Kill them All..............and all that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

Wants to know who are neighbors really are

Speed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I probably would

Early 80s it went like this:

OSUT
Jump School
RIP at HAAF (1st Bat). (My RIP class was 15-84)
Assigned to a company
Didn't go to Ranger School for another 6-18 months depending on your competency

You did not go straight to Ranger School after OSUT and Jump School.   Maybe you got dropped from RIP?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#43]
So when do the full fledged witch hunts begin?

I am a veteran, but never! And I mean never partook in any Veterans Day activities! I was out for breakfast this last one and our server asked if I was a Vet? I said what does it matter, I'm still paying for my breakfast ! VFW now that's a whole nother enchilada, and that day should be reserved for them. But for pukes like me who volunteered to enlist, to better our life's. Hell we should be thanking the taxpayers!

Now back to this LRRP guy! It's the people that don't talk much about thier service that are the real deal. The guys going around wearing it on thier sleeve, using it to get by in life. Those are usually your phonies. Aside from his L plate, does this guy jabber on and on, or is he quite about it? I know more than a few, real deal ex mil genuine heroes, who would probably be thrown out of a store for looking like a homeless person, and being a little "weird"! Or "Off"!

Just because a couple of mentally challenged douches play dress up, we now have to question everyone! Blanket prosecution, it's the American way!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

Wants to know who are neighbors really are

Speed

Unless there is something specific to make you suspicious of your neighbors, your best bet is to secure your house/possessions as best you can (and arm her) and then tell her not to worry...

I don't have to live with your GF, so YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Jim

I know a father and and son. One served 64-65 in Vietnam the son deployed several times between Iraq and Afganistan. They dont have anything in their house as far as photos and memorabilia goes.

My Grandfather never had any WWII stuff laying around. Although I do have the end of a naval shell for an ashtray and a photo of him now hung in my home. My father never had Navy shit laying around either.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

Yeah my dad almost acts embarrassed for serving and not dying like a lot of his friends.  The closest he ever got to talking about it was while we were visiting Germany and he went to a few places he had been stationed.  The stories about his friends suddenly started flowing as he was walking around his old places.  That's about it though.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Why not start a conversation with him and mention that you've found a website or two with lots of Ranger stuff and get some info from him like his class # "so you can find his class photo for him?"

Then download and do a quality print of the photo and give it to him.  You might get alot of good stories out of him doing something like that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Thank the guy for serving instead of questioning his honor.  He served during one of the most thankless times to serve in our country for military, and here some 40 years later it's still thankless.    
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I probably would

Early 80s it went like this:

OSUT
Jump School
RIP at HAAF (1st Bat). (My RIP class was 15-84)
Assigned to a company
Didn't go to Ranger School for another 6-18 months depending on your competency

You did not go straight to Ranger School after OSUT and Jump School.   Maybe you got dropped from RIP?

That's what I was going to ask.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nope. I will find some links to some of the better posers and you can see how they photoshop, buy certs online, get tats and "dress" their home to further the fantasy.  It never ceases to amaze me how far some of these guys take the charade.

OP just have your neighbor sign up on ARFCom and see if NorCal thinks he's familiar.

-SleeperShooter
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top