Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2012 7:14:34 AM EDT
http://www.ocregister.com/news/driving-378319-drivers-survey.html

In an attempt to measure that problem, survey-takers waved over hundreds of late-night California motorists over two weekends this summer. They asked to conduct a short interview, record a puff of breath and – in exchange for $20 – take a saliva sample, all of it anonymous. More than 1,300 drivers took them up on the offer.

Tests later showed that 14 percent of those drivers had at least one drug in their system. Marijuana turned up in more than half those positive tests; the rest were split evenly between illegal drugs and prescription or over-the-counter medications that could impair driving. The marijuana tests looked only for an active ingredient called THC that dissipates within a few hours, not for other marijuana markers that can linger for weeks and would have skewed the results.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#1]
ocregister=Captain Obvious.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm really surprixed the number isn't higher. Like, 4 out of 7 considering the time of day.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#3]
There's a difference between having had a drink and being impaired and the same goes for Marijuana. Is there a huge increase in accidents? Probably not.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:24:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Would have been 6:7 if they focused their study in Hollywood.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do you think the rate of drugged driving is higher in OC vs LA or SD counties?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't they say something like 1 in 4 drivers after midnight have been drinking?  These numbers seem low for a "late-night" sample.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think the rate of drugged driving is higher in OC vs LA or SD counties?

I'd suspect the rate is remarkably similar (though the figures in the article in the OP look low to me,) across most every county and parish in the country.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's a difference between having had a drink and being impaired and the same goes for Marijuana.

True. The issue i see is the doper math. I can have two beers and drive okay. I can smoke one joint and drive okay. I can take one xanax and drive okay. Therefore its okay to smoke a joint and drink two beers with a xanax then drive.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a difference between having had a drink and being impaired and the same goes for Marijuana.

True. The issue i see is the doper math. I can have two beers and drive okay. I can smoke one joint and drive okay. I can take one xanax and drive okay. Therefore its okay to smoke a joint and drink two beers with a xanax then drive.

Poly-drug use.    That does not count man.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#10]
14% of those who agreed to be tested.  Not 14% of drivers.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm sure this will end in "more freedom".
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I regard the one in three who are using hand-held devices while driving to be a much bigger problem.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I imagine that skews things a bit.

TXL
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Weekend = more people doped up.

Rate should be lower on the weekdays.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I imagine that skews things a bit.

TXL

Probably dramatically lowers the number of drivers considered impaired.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#16]
MJ?

They could have just looked for any drivers going 10 mph below the speed limit, hugging the left lane marker, with both hands at 12 o'clock and both feet on the brake.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#17]
A good friend's wife's mother was killed in a head on collision in CA by a meth head while she and her brother were in the back seat.  Her brother is now a meth addict.  .  I differ with Libertarians on the legalization of drugs.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A good friend's wife's mother was killed in a head on collision in CA by a meth head while she and her brother were in the back seat.  Her brother is now a meth addict.  .  I differ with Libertarians on the legalization of drugs.

Good thing stuff like that is impossible, what with drugs being illegal and difficult to get ahold of.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry dude!

I really don't care what the stats say.

I am a proffesional driver. Driven in almost every state in the union, and in three different Countries! I have driven well over 700K miles since learning to drive a car. California drivers are a tad fast, but for the most part they are safe, and I enjoy driving in Ca! I have my own list if worst driving states, Kansas used to top the list, but  my home state of Idaho booted them with good reason.

Here's my list of worst drivers by state Top 10 worst.

Idaho
Washington St
Kansas
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Utah
New York
Misery (ya not a typo, your state sucks)
Colorado
Oregon

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sorry dude!

I am a proffesional driver. Driven in almost every state in the union, and in three different Countries! I have driven well over 700K miles since learning to drive a car. California drivers are a tad fast, but for the most part they are safe, and I enjoy driving in Ca! I have my own list if worst driving states, Kansas used to top the list, but  my home state of Idaho booted them with good reason.

Idaho
Washington St
Kansas
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Utah
New York
Colorado
Oregon

Have you ever driven in Louisiana?

ETA:  Changed LA to Louisiana to avoid confusion.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thing stuff like that is impossible, what with drugs being illegal and difficult to get ahold of.

True, but do you things like that will be less common if drugs are cheaper and easier to aquire?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Sorry dude!

Idaho

Washington St

Kansas

Nebraska

Oklahoma

Utah

New York

Colorado

Oregon

Ohio is missing from your list.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but do you things like that will be less common if drugs are cheaper and easier to aquire?

It is difficult to imagine them ever becoming easier to acquire, and given that capitalism is really only allowed to work unfettered in the black market, the current pricing schedule is probably pretty close to what it would be if the substances were legal––-the costs built in due to risk would go likely go down, but there would be a corresponding rise in regulatory costs that would probably balance it out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry dude!

Idaho
Washington St
Kansas
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Utah
New York
Colorado
Oregon

Ohio is missing from your list.

Oklahoma definitely belongs there. Our drivers are a 50-50 mix of hillbillies that drive on paved roads once a month when they come to town to cash their subsidy check and get groceries. The other half are suburbanites with an attitude of "get the fuqq out of my way" (Oklahoma City and Tulsa) see also "I'd Walk On You To See The Who".

And NO vehicles sold in Oklahoma come with turn signals.

AND, this is one of the states where the family might own 5 vehicles and 1 license tag. That tag gets swapped between all 5 vehicles depending on which one is running that day. ("Excuse me sir, would you please step out of the vehicle? It seems that your tag is registered to a 1972 Chevy pickup but this is a 2012 Camaro...that apparently cost twice what your mobile home did...")
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is difficult to imagine them ever becoming easier to acquire, and given that capitalism is really only allowed to work unfettered in the black market, the current pricing schedule is probably pretty close to what it would be if the substances were legal––-the costs built in due to risk would go likely go down, but there would be a corresponding rise in regulatory costs that would probably balance it out.

Ok, you don't think that the prospect of destroying one's future with a felony conviction and everything that brings keeps many folks from trying out illicit drugs and becoming addicts that will destroy everything and everyone around them to get their next fix?

I'd be all for legalizing drugs as long as no tax money ever goes to anything help addicts.  No welfare, no rehab, nothing
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#26]
No sleeping in parks. No free needles.  Any felony while drugged gets a fast track to execution.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, you don't think that the prospect of destroying one's future with a felony conviction and everything that brings keeps many folks from trying out illicit drugs and becoming addicts that will destroy everything and everyone around them to get their next fix?

I'd be all for legalizing drugs as long as no tax money ever goes to anything help addicts.  No welfare, no rehab, nothing

In my experience, not many.

As to the second, I'd say it is rather short-sighted.  If such a day were ever to come to pass, I'd support public funding for rehab, at least for one or two attempts for any given addict.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No sleeping in parks.

Not sure what this means––people do this all the time down here, and most of them are homeless and/or mentally ill, not drug users.

No free needles.

Free needles are an extremely inexpensive method of harm reduction––-or do you prefer to increase the transmission rates of bloodborn pathogens which then get treated (admittedly on a limited scale) on the public dime?

Any felony while drugged gets a fast track to execution.

An easy notion to toss out, but it would need a lot of expansion to be attempted, and even then would likely run afoul of constitutional provisions.  I mean, if a guy smokes a joint and then imports Honduran lobsters in plastic packaging instead of cardboard, killing him seems a little extreme.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sorry dude!

Idaho
Washington St
Kansas
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Utah
New York
Colorado
Oregon

You forgot Nevada.  I moved from Orange County to the Las Vegas valley and I am stunned at how bad the drivers are here.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#30]
So I presume the legislature is 7:1 drugged?  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I do not believe that decriminalization of drugs will result in a significant increase in drugged drivers. Rx drugs are "legal" and a big part of impaired driving. Soma, Oxy, Vicodin, Valium, Xanax, ambien, adderall are all "legal" with an Rx and many people drive after taking them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No sleeping in parks.

Not sure what this means––people do this all the time down here, and most of them are homeless and/or mentally ill, not drug users.

No free needles.

Free needles are an extremely inexpensive method of harm reduction––-or do you prefer to increase the transmission rates of bloodborn pathogens which then get treated (admittedly on a limited scale) on the public dime?

Any felony while drugged gets a fast track to execution.

An easy notion to toss out, but it would need a lot of expansion to be attempted, and even then would likely run afoul of constitutional provisions.  I mean, if a guy smokes a joint and then imports Honduran lobsters in plastic packaging instead of cardboard, killing him seems a little extreme.

Especially no healthcare on the public dime.

The problem with serious addicts is that they are like jihadists.  They really don't care if they die.  The best thing is to prevent them from becoming addicts.   There needs to be more serious consequences for becoming a druggie than getting your basic needs met by the public that you are endangering.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#35]
I wonder if they included caffeine?

Oh yea, and just because THC is in your system does not mean you are currently high.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#36]
it is damn near impossible to test for being high on marijuana while driving

even blood tests don't work..

you can have 150 nano grams of thc in the bloodstream and not be stoned at that time, yet the laws trying to be put in call for 5 nano grams of thc to be considered under the influence.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Wow. At that rate they won't be able to stabilize their cars with 77 grains or more of cocaine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
it is damn near impossible to test for being high on marijuana while driving

even blood tests don't work..

you can have 150 nano grams of thc in the bloodstream and not be stoned at that time, yet the laws trying to be put in call for 5 nano grams of thc to be considered under the influence.

No more unreasonable than DC's current alchol laws.  GO MADD!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#39]
I dive better drunk.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#40]
explains why everyone drives so bad
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Guess those self-driving cars aren't such a goofy idea after all.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Was Rush Limbaugh driving in California?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Those numbers actually seem low, sad to say. I'm not sure breath and saliva allows for the detection of all prescription drugs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top