Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2012 6:05:28 AM EDT
Okay, so the corner of my eye is red (the white part, but only one eye, and only on 1 side of the pupil.)  It has a dull ache to it.  My vision is still absolutely fine.

To my knowledge, nothing got in there or damaged that I am aware of.

Didn't seem major, so I was just letting it run its course.  Hasn't gotten worse or better, but stayed the same basically.

After a few days, I went an urgent care center, afraid it might be something with significance.  The Dr. looked, and thought there was a corneal abrasion (minor one) prescribed antibiotic drops and eyewash but had me follow up with an opthomologist to be sure.

Opthomologist looked a lot more closely and thoroughly and concluded that it was not a corneal abrasion, and was not an infection.  Diagnosed as a simple inflammation (with no apparent cause).  Said eyedrops are unnecessary, and only suggested I use ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation, which, in turn will make the redness and pain go away.  I have a follow up in 2 weeks.

I am on day 2 of the ibuprofen regimen, again no change for better or worse really.  Is there anything else this could be?  I am just afraid something could get worse in the next 2 weeks before I go back and see the Optho.

ETA:  There is also a small amount of tearing and a little bit of "crustiness" on my eyelashes that remind me of a minor version of conjunctivitis I had when I was a little kid.  Don't know if it is the cause or symptom of the redness / pain problem though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:17:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree with the Opthalmologist.

Its localized inflammation otherwise you would have an entire eye involved. I wouldn't worry about it, as much as possible, and continue the ibuprofen. If something changes for the WORSE, then call your eye doc again... you don't have to wait for 2 weeks if things worsen. Don't go to the ER though, unless you have contacted your eye doc again. ER / Urgent care docs are not educated in eyes outside of the typical 'Emergent' stuff... which is why you were diagnosed with an abrasion... when you did not have one. They 'treated you' with what they knew and got you out. They did no harm... just no help either.

The tearing is simply from the inflammation and your inability to leave it alone. The crusting is the drying of tears on your eyelid/lashes.

Relax... and enjoy turkey and beer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:41:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like episcleritis

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Its localized inflammation otherwise you would have an entire eye involved. I wouldn't worry about it, as much as possible, and continue the ibuprofen. If something changes for the WORSE, then call your eye doc again... you don't have to wait for 2 weeks if things worsen. Don't go to the ER though, unless you have contacted your eye doc again. ER / Urgent care docs are not educated in eyes outside of the typical 'Emergent' stuff... which is why you were diagnosed with an abrasion... when you did not have one. They 'treated you' with what they knew and got you out. They did no harm... just no help either.

The tearing is simply from the inflammation and your inability to leave it alone. The crusting is the drying of tears on your eyelid/lashes.

Thank you.  I appreciate your response
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Episcleritis or Scleritis.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:13:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sending PM
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Update:  No Change
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:42:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Aids.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a little update.  Now my other eye has exactly the same thing!  It's red and with dull pain (minor pain) and it is only on the outer half of each eye.  What the heck is going on?

It has to be some sort of infection that spread but the curious thing is why it won't go past the pupil.

I am going to use eyewash and the antibacerial drops now.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Ocular herpes is a right bitch.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just a little update.  Now my other eye has exactly the same thing!  It's red and with dull pain (minor pain) and it is only on the outer half of each eye.  What the heck is going on?

It has to be some sort of infection that spread but the curious thing is why it won't go past the pupil.

I am going to use eyewash and the antibacerial drops now.

pink eye
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top