Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2012 5:53:16 AM EDT
Serious question here.....

I'm out of work on FMLA for a medical condition. It just ended (12 week limit) and I will start paying for my insurance under COBRA. I receive short-term disability payments which will continue.

My doctor sent a letter stating I can return to work with some restrictions. I have a PICC (IV line) so can't lift more than 20lbs and have weekly doctor visits. I'm not bedridden but can't work more than 40 hours. My typical work week was 60-80 hours.

I received a letter from work stating "As you have not provided medical information to support your return to work, your employment with xxxxx will end on Nov 19, 2012". This letter showed up on my doorstep.....on Nov 19.

They acknowledged receiving my doctor's letter with restrictions and know I should be done with restrictions at the end of December or January.

So.....is this typical? What bothers me is the wording of the letter claiming I didn't provide medical information to support returning to work. Never had a disciplinary action, have stellar annual reviews for 7 years, and as my boss told HR I have a special set of skills (no, not the Liam Neeson type of skills, my skills are technical).

I'm not looking for any "nobody owes you a job" replies, I know that. I'm just wondering if any experience here with FMLA leave ending with temporary restrictions that lead to automatic termination?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:00:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't help you with the legal aspect, but will offer you some well wishes!

Hope you get the work and health issues resolved in your favor.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:01:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Serious question here.....

I'm out of work on FMLA for a medical condition. It just ended (12 week limit) and I will start paying for my insurance under COBRA. I receive short-term disability payments which will continue.

My doctor sent a letter stating I can return to work with some restrictions. I have a PICC (IV line) so can't lift more than 20lbs and have weekly doctor visits. I'm not bedridden but can't work more than 40 hours. My typical work week was 60-80 hours.

I received a letter from work stating "As you have not provided medical information to support your return to work, your employment with xxxxx will end on Nov 19, 2012". This letter showed up on my doorstep.....on Nov 19.

They acknowledged receiving my doctor's letter with restrictions and know I should be done with restrictions at the end of December or January.

So.....is this typical? What bothers me is the wording of the letter claiming I didn't provide medical information to support returning to work. Never had a disciplinary action, have stellar annual reviews for 7 years, and as my boss told HR I have a special set of skills (no, not the Liam Neeson type of skills, my skills are technical).

I'm not looking for any "nobody owes you a job" replies, I know that. I'm just wondering if any experience here with FMLA leave ending with temporary restrictions that lead to automatic termination?

sometimes the work comp carrier will do it ....sometimes not

sounds like you should be able to straighten it out

call them
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#3]
did you get the fmla paper work filled out by your Doc and return it th HR?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#4]
It appears that the medical information provided did not allow an unrestricted return to work, or at least a return to work with limited restrictions that your employer could reasonably accommodate.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:37:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
did you get the fmla paper work filled out by your Doc and return it th HR?

Yes. My condition reviewed by my doctor, HR, and short-term disability provider every 30 days.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It appears that the medical information provided did not allow an unrestricted return to work, or at least a return to work with limited restrictions that your employer could reasonably accommodate.

There were restrictions but nothing they couldn't accommodate. I work in IT. I usually have one or two other techs assigned to help on installations (communications servers/IP phones, etc). No flying because of IV, but I didn't have to leave New England during the previous year, I was in Maine and Vermont mostly.

It's just all kinda sketchy the way they did it.

Ive been there 7 years, if anything I thought they'd just keep me out on unpaid leave.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were restrictions but nothing they couldn't accommodate. I work in IT. I usually have one or two other techs assigned to help on installations (communications servers/IP phones, etc). No flying because of IV, but I didn't have to leave New England during the previous year, I was in Maine and Vermont mostly.

Ive been there 7 years, if anything I thought they'd just keep me out on unpaid leave.

Bud is correct, you can either get them whatever info they want to establish your medical condition and work restrictions or you can request reasonable accomadations under the ADA, which you will have to provide documentation of your condition to the employer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bud is correct, you can either get them whatever info they want to establish your medical condition and work restrictions or you can request reasonable accomadations under the ADA, which you will have to provide documentation of your condition to the employer.

Thanks RC. They do have the proper paperwork and I had a phone call with them about it, I find the wording of the termination innapropriate as it implies I essentially walked off the job.

Just gonna focus on getting better, deal with it later. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top