Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2012 8:19:18 PM EDT
A bit obsessed with fleshing out the garage over the past couple of weeks.  Anyone else get tool disease in lieu of BRD?

And might I add, I fucking love craigslist.  That, and in before "you'll be putting all of the same shit on craigslist next year"
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't be "in before" on your own thread.

And yes. I like to buy snap-on. Craigslist. Pawnshops. Tool truck. Wherever.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#2]
It's November.

About 6 weeks left in 2012. As soon as the accountant calls sometime next week, I'll be buying a shitload of consumables and shop tools, as well as a few specialty tools, and possibly a new Tractor.

It happens every year. Either it goes into tools and equipment that make me money, or it goes to the fucking FSA to buy votes.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You can't be "in before" on your own thread.

And yes. I like to buy snap-on. Craigslist. Pawnshops. Tool truck. Wherever.

Touché.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, buying that nice air compressor was a bad idea.  I needed it for a project, but once I had an air compressor I needed air tools!  and Impact sockets!  etc etc.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, buying that nice air compressor was a bad idea.  I needed it for a project, but once I had an air compressor I needed air tools!  and Impact sockets!  etc etc.

That's on the list.  So is a TIG welder.  

I'm a shitty welder currently, but those things are pure sex.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Anything tool or shop equipment related on eBay proceeded by "Vintage".

It's a sickness.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Isn't that how every hobby starts? Especially the expensive one.

You only start out with one measly gun, and then you turn around and "needed 30 others"

It must be a disease.

Eta. Seriously beat by 12 seconds.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#8]
It's actually easier to justify tool/shop spending than guns to the wife since I'm able to actually save us money by having the tools and capability to fix our own cars.

I like both the gun and tool diseases.  My father, late grandfather, his father etc were farmers, so the whole tools/shop building thing is damn near genetic at this point.  My dad and grandfather both have shops that put my little garage set up to shame.  Heck, my granddad had one set of tools/compressors/welders/presses/jack/etc in town at one barn and a whole secondary set at his barn behind his house out in the country.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an unhealthy obsession for old Yates-American, Oliver, Walker-Turner, Tannewitz, and Crescent woodworking machinery.  I cringe worse when I hear of a vintage machine being scrapped than I do when I hear the same about an old gun.  I've picked up a bunch of great deals on CL.

Moulding planes are also a sad obsession for me.

And if anyone has a Y-20 Snowflake they'd be willing to sell, send me a PM.  I've been looking for one for five years now.  

Seriously.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I start out having needed one or two tools, and end up filling out a drawer or two.

I *hate* not having the right tool for a job.  Hate it worse than hangnails.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#11]
two things come to mind. when I was stationed in Korea I'd head to the "E-Mart" section of Seoul. Picture multiple square blocks of electronics, computers, parts, cameras, and tools.
Lots and lots of tools.

I would bring a small ruck (one of those "bugout gear" ones) and would stop when the pack was full. The dollar worked pretty well and the prices/quality was amazing.

the other bit is antique tools. I started at the antique shops in the vicinity of FT Drum and now find things in online auctions, thrift stores, etc.  A lot of late 19th-early 20th century watchmaking and jeweler's stuff is great for working on guns and other such pastimes.

tool addiction, black rifle disease.....I got two strikes
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:38:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I start out having needed one or two tools, and end up filling out a drawer or two.

I *hate* not having the right tool for a job.  Hate it worse than hangnails.

Aye.  I bought a shitload of craftsman sockets, wrenches, ratchets, small craftsman toolbox, nice jigsaw (barely used), 4 ton jack and jackstands, all sorts of hand tools, etc. for $200.  I was after the sockets only, but couldn't pass up the package deal.  It was probably ~$1500 in tools at least.  I needed a box full and probably got a shelf-full.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:47:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Buy a machine tool or two. It will rock your world as far as spending on accessories/tooling goes. Before you know it, you're adapting the thing to CNC, purchasing all sorts of material and widgets you never thought you'd need.

...but now I can make my own lowers
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:52:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I do every year. The company i work for gives me a 1250a dollar tool allowance every year i always spsnd more.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:02:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Buy a machine tool or two. It will rock your world as far as spending on accessories/tooling goes. Before you know it, you're adapting the thing to CNC, purchasing all sorts of material and widgets you never thought you'd need.

The list just got longer.  What are the start-up costs on something like that?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:04:26 AM EDT
[#16]
snapon nuff said

If i need it once i buy it, seems like the 10 years ive been buying i pay alot of money yet my bill never gets lower
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:10:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The list just got longer.  What are the start-up costs on something like that?

Are you independently wealthy? Real answer: it depends on what you want to do with it. If you can get by with a mini mill, the base price for one starts around $900, bare bones. You'll easily double that in tooling and fixturing. A decent full-size used knee mill will run you a few thousand plus delivery/rigging if you're doing it right. Lathes will be about the same, although tooling isn't *as* bad. CNC conversion can be done cheaply for small machines ($1k or so), add more cost for more motor capacity. You want a good DRO? There went $1500. Material on-hand for making random stuff? 'Nuther $1k. Computer/software to run the CNC? 'Nuther $1k. Catch my drift?

Now you see why my machines are locked in my office at work.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:16:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Snap on tool disease here.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:26:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Did someone say CNC??

Bought my FIRST ever milling machine Sept.29th , it was a CNC , just bought my 3rd CNC machine on Monday.

I already have about every other tool out there , from woodworking to mechanical to metal working , now machining.

You name it, I can either fix it or build it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I've never not had a bill on the snap on truck in 10 years. I buy at least 1 tool a week, if not more.
I want to get into woodworking next so here come more tools. And I've been needing a TIG for the house and a
tubing bender, maybe a new band saw?.... Bastard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top