Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2012 7:03:10 PM EDT
SPD seized a bunch of my marijuana before I-502 passed. Can I have it back?
No.

http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2012/11/09/marijwhatnow-a-guide-to-legal-marijuana-use-in-seattle/

Will SPD assist federal law enforcement in investigations of marijuana users or marijuana-related businesses, that are allowed under I-502?
No. Officers and detectives will not participate in an investigation of anything that’s not prohibited by state law.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Why does anyone anywhere really care about pot? It's no more an issue we should concern ourselves about than beer.

Really?

Why do alleged "conservatives" hate freedom?

BTW, I do not smoke it.

But I believe it's just another of those issues that keep 3 percent of people voting conservative.

Guess what percentage our Narcissist-in-Chief won by?

Guess who will get to nominate the next SCOTUS justices?

How fucking stupid can we be?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Anybody catch this?

TL;DR?

in the article?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Can I smoke pot outside my home? Like at a park, magic show, or the Bite of Seattle?

Much like having an open container of alcohol in public, doing so could result in a civil infraction—like a ticket—but not arrest. You can certainly use marijuana in the privacy of your own home. Additionally, if smoking a cigarette isn’t allowed where you are (say, inside an apartment building or flammable chemical factory), smoking marijuana isn’t allowed there either.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Republicans
Quoted:
Why does anyone anywhere really care about pot? It's no more an issue we should concern ourselves about than beer.

Really?

BTW, I do not smoke it.

But I believe it's just another of those issues that keep 3 percent of people voting conservative.

Republicans are completely fucking stupid and will continue to not get elected on the national stage until they drop the abortion thing, support peoples right to civil unions, and quit giving a shit about pot.

Im as conservative as they come and am against the things i just listed but until we get the fuck away from those three issues we will lose everytime.  Unfortunately, conservatives are too stupid to realize any different and the libs continue to laugh thier asses off.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#6]
more government articles need to be written like this
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
This would be the first time I recall the city of Seattle doing something that makes sense.  In other places around the state departments are fighting it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
FUCK the spd and King County.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Republicans
Quoted:

Really?

BTW, I do not smoke it.

Republicans are completely fucking stupid and will continue to not get elected on the national stage until they drop the abortion thing, support peoples right to civil unions, and quit giving a shit about pot.

Im as conservative as they come and am against the things i just listed but until we get the fuck away from those three issues we will lose everytime.  Unfortunately, conservatives are too stupid to realize any different and the libs continue to laugh thier asses off.

And many conservatives don't understand the realities of law enforcement in a large city.  I work two days a week in downtown Seattle and work with three women that are married to SPD cops.  From what I've seen and heard, they're too busy with more important things to worry about pot.  Regardless of whether you think it should or shouldn't be legal, there's more productive things for the police to be doing.z
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Great. Now they focus on fighting real crime.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:43:51 AM EDT
[#11]
A "hands off" police policy in regards to weed? I guess I was way ahead of the curve on that one.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:09:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A "hands off" police policy in regards to weed? I guess I was way ahead of the curve on that one.

You were hands off on everything...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:26:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You were hands off on everything...

Actually I wasn't but weed arrests were a waste of time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Really?

BTW, I do not smoke it.

Meh, just another nail in the coffin.

we'll either adapt or die.

so far it looks like die (as a republic) and will most likely end up as a second world country. which when that happens, the pot will help placate the masses, just look at Jamaica and Puerto Rico Hati Dominican Republic, Meheeco. no up rising, don't want to harsh the mello.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why does anyone anywhere really care about pot? It's no more an issue we should concern ourselves about than beer...

Department funding...

Interdiction money...

ASSET FORFEITURE...

Nobody ever got a new Bell Ranger for beer interdiction.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:59:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Republicans
Quoted:

Really?

BTW, I do not smoke it.

And many conservatives don't understand the realities of law enforcement in a large city.  I work two days a week in downtown Seattle and work with three women that are married to SPD cops.  From what I've seen and heard, they're too busy with more important things to worry about pot.  Regardless of whether you think it should or shouldn't be legal, there's more productive things for the police to be doing.z

In Seattle?  Not real familiar but I thought they had a whole 10 murders a year or something ridiculous like that...

ETA: I cannot believe that is an actual .gov site (in a good way)
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:17:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I really don't give the proverbial rat's ass about legal MJ, but as both an NFA and state's rights enthusiast I'm watching how this develops in WA and CO very, very closely.  I started mentally replacing "marijuana" with "suppressor" or other NFA items while I read the article, and it really made me smile.  If states really can make the Fed back off on this, it might be a great model to follow.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I really don't give the proverbial rat's ass about legal MJ, but as both an NFA and state's rights enthusiast I'm watching how this develops in WA and CO very, very closely.  I started mentally replacing "marijuana" with "suppressor" or other NFA items while I read the article, and it really made me smile.  If states really can make the Fed back off on this, it might be a great model to follow.

This is how I see it. They can smoke themselves stupid for all I care.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I found this interesting:

Will police officers be able to smoke marijuana?

As of right now, no. This is still a very complicated issue

That's a rather fascinating grey area. If it is considered legal, why are the officers barred from partaking? Should it not be considered the same as drinking and cigarettes?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#20]
That is the funniest article ever published by a police department.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:04:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's a rather fascinating grey area. If it is considered legal, why are the officers barred from partaking? Should it not be considered the same as drinking and cigarettes?

There are companies that won't employ people who smoke cigarettes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So were we, I guess.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If I were in charge of a police department in a state which had legalized or decriminalized marijuana, I would still bar my officers from smoking it, as possession is still against federal law.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Getting drunk while off-duty isn't illegal and my old department barred us from that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Kudos to the SPD for trying to get ahead of this thing.

TXL
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:10:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting drunk while off-duty isn't illegal and my old department barred us from that.

Ok, that's essentially what was in the back of my mind. Something along the lines of a 'clear state of mind' clause in case of being called in?

Scotchy I agree with your line of reasoning. I'm all for personal freedom if but if your chosen line of work dictates the necessity of a clear state of mind I'm for some restrictions. Again, this is in reference to the profession you have chosen.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:14:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  For a while, pricks in Inspections, Office of Compliance, and PIB* who had nothing better to do would troll the Beachcorner (before everybody pretty much stopped going there,) PeeDee's in Metairie (before JPSO asked 'em to kindly piss off and stay in their own parish,) and Bud Rip's (before they figured out that the bartenders were never going to let them in, and would hide officers in the back for as long as needed,) in a quest to catch officers who'd had too many.

*Yes, we have two divisions in one bureau, and one entire seperate bureau, devoted to investigating us, not counting outside organizations.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Republicans
Quoted:

Really?

BTW, I do not smoke it.

Absolutely!!!  I completely agree with you.  There are far bigger concerns then to worry about if some guy is smoking a joint.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Republicans

Quoted:

Really?
BTW, I do not smoke it.

Absolutely!!!  I completely agree with you.  There are far bigger concerns then to worry about if some guy is smoking a joint.

Usually, that means just stumping for more gun control:

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2012/06/sallys_16_council_member_draws.php
While others in City Hall were still asking the question, what can we do in the wake of Seattle's wave of gun violence?, City Council member Sally Bagshaw was trying to answer it. She's "working on a coordinated plan," she tells us, but has already laid out a series of steps the city can begin taking immediately. "Are we serious about public safety?" she asks. If so,"Here are sixteen things we can actually do," including making major changes to state gun laws.

On Friday, two days after Ian Stawicki added five more murders and a suicide to Seattle's running total of 2012 homicides (21 to date, one more than all of last year), she sat down at her computer and typed out, "We all say that things must change. But they haven't. And people in our city are justifiably scared and tired of the same conversations and accusations." She continued:

Let's assume we have the collective will to stop the gun violence and bring calm back to our city. We've said we wanted to make our streets and neighborhoods safe for years. Debates about gun laws and their effectiveness have raged for decades. How do we start anew? It's a question most of us heard, read or asked following Stawicki's rampage. Bagshaw therein drew up Sally's 16, a list of "immediate short-term actions to long-term strategies, that together we can work to achieve."

Among them:

More cops:

The city's police force is stretched thin, we know that. Nonetheless, we must put more trained officers visibly on the street to calm fears and deter further violence....Because our detective unit has been reduced in size and the shootings have increased in number, our detectives have had to stop investigating some cases mid-stream to start investigating the next. Our detective unit has been cut down to the bare bones; more support is needed.

Identifying perps:

Our officers are tracking down leads and investigating the cases, but they can't do it alone. They need help from eyewitnesses, and the sooner we can identify the shooters and get them off the streets, the safer we all will be....We who live in this community - youth and adults - are the only ones who can break the code of silence and start a new safe way of being. The code of silence perpetuates fear and death.

Gun-law changes:

Background checks should be required for every firearm sold in the state, including at gun shows; permits should be required for the open carry of firearms; guns should be banned from parks, community centers, and other public locations; handguns should be micro-stamped; the authority of state and local gun-trafficking investigations should be expanded and a law restricting large capacity ammunition magazines should be reinstated.

She plans to push her agenda by working with City Attorney Pete Holmes, King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg, local police, legislators, congressional representatives and neighborhood groups. You can read her detailed list here, and e-mail her here.

"Success will not happen overnight," says Bagshaw, "but we will be incrementally safer every step we take."

... or getting their UAVs: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/See-what-SPD-drones-look-like-3983169.php

... or expensive gunshot system detectors, so they can find who is shooting off fireworks where, and get there 20 minutes later. Because we already know where most shootings occur, and who the shooter is affiliated with: http://seattletimes.com/text/2018307147.html...

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
snip

remember, just because these folks wanted to legalize pot doesnt mean they love freedom. and it damn sure doesnt mean they support gun rights.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Officers and detectives will not participate in an investigation of anything that’s not prohibited by state law.

That part alone is huge.  That is what needs to happen.  And not just with weed.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, that's essentially what was in the back of my mind. Something along the lines of a 'clear state of mind' clause in case of being called in?

Must be "Fit for Duty" 24/7.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

SPD has the same policy for illegal aliens as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Republicans
Quoted:

Really?

BTW, I do not smoke it.

I think its the lib's that think that cops spend any time chasing pot smokers.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  For a while, pricks in Inspections, Office of Compliance, and PIB* who had nothing better to do would troll the Beachcorner (before everybody pretty much stopped going there,) PeeDee's in Metairie (before JPSO asked 'em to kindly piss off and stay in their own parish,) and Bud Rip's (before they figured out that the bartenders were never going to let them in, and would hide officers in the back for as long as needed,) in a quest to catch officers who'd had too many.

*Yes, we have two divisions in one bureau, and one entire seperate bureau, devoted to investigating us, not counting outside organizations.

To be a fly on the wall for that conversation...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Nahh, that is the job for Phoenix Jones!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

SPD seized a bunch of my marijuana before I-502 passed. Can I have it back?

No.

http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2012/11/09/marijwhatnow-a-guide-to-legal-marijuana-use-in-seattle/

Will SPD assist federal law enforcement in investigations of marijuana users or marijuana-related businesses, that are allowed under I-502?

No. Officers and detectives will not participate in an investigation of anything that’s not prohibited by state law.

I say good. If the Feds are gonna fuck with AZ on illegal immigration enforcement, then let the states fuck with the Feds on dope!

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#38]

That's the most entertaining thing I've ever read on a government website.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Holy shitballs, that was pretty funny, down to the LOTR "The Finest Weed" youtube clip.

Some SPD cop totally missed his calling.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thing everybody followed that rule.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Republicans
Quoted:

Really?

BTW, I do not smoke it.

So we have to become liberal? That makes sense.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

brilliant

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nahh, that is the job for Phoenix Jones!

lol...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top