Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 5:34:57 PM EDT

I'm looking for something well made and tough.  It needs to fit a Tacoma.  Anybody have any good suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#1]

But for real, I'd check out Delta boxes. They make some pretty decent stuff.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
You looking for something that sits on the rails or sits flush inside the bed?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Weatherguard.

I had a couple cheaper boxes before, Delta I think. Complete crap, they lasted a few years maybe.

Weatherguard will cost you more initially but they last forever. My current one is five years old and still works/looks like new.

You'll see lots of old Weatherguard boxes around, but not so many Deltas, Husky, etc.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Check your local pawn shop.
For some reason mine has a ton.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Most if not all 'truck bed tool box' es are easy and quick to break into. A friend that works at  Lowe's showed me that with a hacksaw blade he could open all of them that they sold.

I went out and found a JOBOX, and bolted it to the bed of my F350. These and others of the same quality are designed to defeat the efforts of scumbags at construction sites that have power tools and know how to use them.

Get a real tool box and you'll never regret it. Buy a cheap one and the first time your stuff goes missing it'll piss you off that now you have to go out and get a good one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Most if not all 'truck bed tool box' es are easy and quick to break into. A friend that works at  Lowe's showed me that with a hacksaw blade he could open all of them that they sold.

I went out and found a JOBOX, and bolted it to the bed of my F350. These and others of the same quality are designed to defeat the efforts of scumbags at construction sites that have power tools and know how to use them.

Get a real tool box and you'll never regret it. Buy a cheap one and the first time your stuff goes missing it'll piss you off that now you have to go out and get a good one.

Lowes sells garbage for truck boxes. The job box in the bed thing is fine if you don't mind losing your rear view, some don't. Also, that's a shit ton of storage, more than I need for most jobs.

A portable plasma torch will work on a job box just a quickly as a sawzall on a truck box.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Weatherguard.

I had a couple cheaper boxes before, Delta I think. Complete crap, they lasted a few years maybe.

Weatherguard will cost you more initially but they last forever. My current one is five years old and still works/looks like new.

You'll see lots of old Weatherguard boxes around, but not so many Deltas, Husky, etc.

This.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Delta....I thought the locking hooks were junk when I got it, but the price was right so I bought it...It withstood 3 crowbar attempts when I still lived in the city without ever coming open, I just hammered the bent up part of the lid back down and drove on. I'd probably buy another one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]
tractor supply, they have whatever truck box you are looking for.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Every maker makes a couple of lines from the bottom on up. Even weatherguard makes a couple of lines of differening quality.

UWS is another optinon as well I don't think anyone has mentioned so far.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm open to either...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Id say a smaller jobox/knaack type gangbox  if you want a durable box if you want the view out the back. I have a weatherguard side box ( sits on the top of the bed length wise) that I use as an "in bed" low profile box to hold my tie downs and odds and ends.

Ive had good luck on Craiglist buying the gang boxes for $75 or less. I keep my ammo and tools locked up in my shop in them
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#13]
R&K.........period

Rawson & Koenig

Worth every penny......can elaborate more on quality but......all good things to say

ETA
Mine is also in a Tacoma

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
R&K.........period

Rawson & Koenig

Worth every penny......can elaborate more on quality but......all good things to say

ETA
Mine is also in a Tacoma

Do you have any pics of it?

Searching for info on it now...

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#15]
WG always served me well
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a UWS in my '04 Taco double cab. I went for a low profile but opted for the regular size. I like being able to slip smaller items under the box and appreciate the additional storage up top.

My biggest problem was finding something to work with the wheel wells. It narrowed my options considerably.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
R&K.........period

Rawson & Koenig

ETA
Mine is also in a Tacoma

Do you have any pics of it?

Searching for info on it now...

Mine is Black

http://www.rki-us.com/productDetails.aspx?&cat=2&type=2&series=24&prod=C63

I can show pics of my truck later

Online it says it 178lbs and that sounds pretty accurate.
I've walked all over the top of the box (180lbs myself) and stand/walk all over it to wash the roof / top of truck and no dents or so much as flex.
IIRC it was around 700-800 bucks but its been a few years and it has held up very very well

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm open to either...

I don't care for the top mount boxes, but that's just personal preference.  I've been debating between something like this box, and just a standard "jobsite box"

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Every maker makes a couple of lines from the bottom on up. Even weatherguard makes a couple of lines of differening quality.

I just got an UWS low profile for my Tacoma. It sits in the bed, and then my tonneau cover goes over it.

My UWS looks like the Deezee in the above post.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got an UWS low profile for my Tacoma. It sits in the bed, and then my tonneau cover goes over it.

Does it stick up above the rails at all?  How do you like it?  Any complaints?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#21]
This is the box that I have on my truck-

It's the "low profile" model so even though it mounts on the rails it doesn't impose on the view out of the back window.

I prefer black to chrome, personally.

ETA: I don't like in bed mounted boxes because they close off a portion of the bed. I like to stuff things under the box, ladders for instance, that would otherwise be hanging out the bed the extra length that the box occupies.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It looks to be even with the top of the rails, or a just a bit above it. I put on a Truxedo Tonneau cover over top, and with the extra inch or so

clearance that provides, the cover does not touch the top of the box. I have no complaints. I drilled three holes in it to mount it. Two at the side, and then one at the bottom to match the bed drain hole.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It looks to be even with the top of the rails, or a just a bit above it. I put on a Truxedo Tonneau cover over top, and with the extra inch or so

clearance that provides, the cover does not touch the top of the box. I have no complaints. I drilled three holes in it to mount it. Two at the side, and then one at the bottom to match the bed drain hole.  

Cool thanks.  I just went on the UWS website and their fitment guide didn't allow for the 05+ body style.  What year is your truck?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool thanks.  I just went on the UWS website and their fitment guide didn't allow for the 05+ body style.  What year is your truck?

2012 with the 6' bed.  I got the UWS model TBC-42-W-BLK   That's the Black 42" wide Standard Wedge chest.   ~$350 on Amazon.

The Amazon fit guide claims it shouldn't fit my truck, but it does.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Great suggestions.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2012 with the 6' bed.  I got the UWS model TBC-42-W-BLK   That's the Black 42" wide Standard Wedge chest.   ~$350 on Amazon.

The Amazon fit guide claims it shouldn't fit my truck, but it does.

Great.  Much appreciated.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#27]
PROTECH makes a damn fine all aluminum HD box

Link
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had numerous truck bed tool boxes.  All quality ones are pretty much the same IMO.  My current truck has a cover on the bed and a slide out drawer type setup.  I doubt I'll ever go with any other setup.  If that works for your needs I'd recommend it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top