Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/20/2012 5:22:14 PM EDT
Tonight was my last night working out at NYSC. Apparently, work boots are not proper gym attire and I could hurt myself, therefore I am a liability to the gym and must cease wearing them. Apparently, those stupid toe shoes are however permitted. Apparently, the manager also needs to find someone to accompany him to approach me and put me on blast in front of other gym goers. Very professional!

If you can't understand why shoes with reinforced ankles are a necessity for any heavy lifting (squatting, deadlifting, rows), I won't stand and argue with you. I'm just going to quit, and then explain to our Corporate rep why a rogue manager's asinine policy cost them my business.

I suspect it's because I "don't quite fit in" with the rest of the middle aged out of shape p90x crowd. I think its hilarious the guy needed company. If he thought the bearded man with tattoos and tim boots was going to start freaking out and throwing weights at his (smaller) self, I took personal pleasure in "keeping my cool".

What's up with the world today? Have we really become a nation of pussies?

Sorry I'm not doing zumba or p90 or some shit. Real men life heavy weights....
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]
And before the rest of you criticize him, could you take a full power shot from LibertarianYankee?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
And before the rest of you criticize him, could you take a full power shot from LibertarianYankee?

what the heck is that supposed to mean
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
No they don't. They do Girard vides, buns of steel, and ride the gazelle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
They're trying to maintain an image.

I remember seeing guys come into Golds when I was a member wearing their work clothes, and it wasn't a problem.

Unless you're tracking in mud and shit, or are tearing up the rubber floors, they're just being bitches.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#5]
When I use the weights on ship, I wear my steel-toes.  I've seen how them discs can dance around.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what the heck is that supposed to mean

Goes back a ways, don't worry about it....
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tonight was my last night working out at NYSC. Apparently, work boots are not proper gym attire and I could hurt myself, therefore I am a liability to the gym and must cease wearing them. Apparently, those stupid toe shoes are however permitted. Apparently, the manager also needs to find someone to accompany him to approach me and put me on blast in front of other gym goers. Very professional!

If you can't understand why shoes with reinforced ankles are a necessity for any heavy lifting (squatting, deadlifting, rows), I won't stand and argue with you. I'm just going to quit, and then explain to our Corporate rep why a rogue manager's asinine policy cost them my business.

I suspect it's because I "don't quite fit in" with the rest of the middle aged out of shape p90x crowd. I think its hilarious the guy needed company. If he thought the bearded man with tattoos and tim boots was going to start freaking out and throwing weights at his (smaller) self, I took personal pleasure in "keeping my cool".

You should probably look up P90x and the science behind cross-training/plyometrics before saying some stupid shit like "real men lift heavy weights."
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Pic of lumberjack boots or GTFO
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#9]
You pick things up and put them down?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I like my stupid toe shoes....lol
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome man.  That must have been epic.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#13]
At least it wasn't Planet Fitness....
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#14]
What exactly did you expect with NYSC?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#15]
policy is gay..... manager is too ....  crossfit will kick your ass

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#16]
What are you training for?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They're trying to maintain an image.

I remember seeing guys come into Golds when I was a member wearing their work clothes, and it wasn't a problem.

Unless you're tracking in mud and shit, or are tearing up the rubber floors, they're just being bitches.

yeah... i don't even work outside for a living. these particular boots, sweats, etc are just for working out. i have separate boots for housework.

the guy had the nerve to tell me that those stupid toe shoes are acceptable because they are more natural. i told him i would gladly drop a plate on my toes with boots on, but would never step foot on the floor with those things on....

and its sad because i chose this particular gym BECAUSE they were not d-bags like Planet Fitness that actually makes a conscious effort to turn away people who look like they actually lift.

oh well. the gym down the street sold me a plan for 50% cheaper when i explained my experience and confirmed my attire will not be a problem.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#18]
their gym, their rules

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So all the PT I did in the Army wasn't manly?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#20]
So real men have weak ankles and perpetuate their weakness by wearing supportive gear to prevent proper development?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

lifting heavy weights
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to see these guys at the gym wearing street clothes and boots all of the time and nobody complained.

Maybe everyone was afraid they would show up dressed like this:

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

size and strength. get big baby!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

did you lift really heavy weights?

If not, then nope, you're a bitch.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds stupid, find a new gym.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lifting heavy weights

Warehouse Championships or some shit??  

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#27]
fuck yeah!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

as long as they didn't have you doing zumba!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I had higher standards than the women!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#30]
First world problems and CSB...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So real men have weak ankles and perpetuate their weakness by wearing supportive gear to prevent proper development?

please quit while you're ahead. you have no idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

policy is gay..... manager is too ....  crossfit will kick your ass

Kicked mine tonight

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, fuck that noise.  I don't mind watching though.  The instructors for that and body pump normally have some desirable ASSets.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Real men lift barefoot anyways.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, fuck that noise.  I don't mind watching though.  The instructors for that and body pump normally have some desirable ASSets.

i second that

i don't mean to belittle anyone that doesn't lift because they are training equally as hard for something else (running, swimming, etc).

just feels ridiculous that the only person who actually uses the squat rack for squats has to be singled out. /endrant
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

no it wasnt, only manly pt is in the Marines..

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I had higher standards than the women!

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Serious question:  At what point should I transition from gofasters to work boots to facilitate my strength training?  Or, is this simply a safety issue, as in I might bust my hoof if a plate is dropped on it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#39]

i actually asked about this and the response wasn't that it was unsafe, but rather unsanitary. only work boots are unsafe.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
hit it

Gettin' a bit dusty in here.....
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Serious question:  At what point should I transition from gofasters to work boots to facilitate my strength training?  Or, is this simply a safety issue, as in I might bust my hoof if a plate is dropped on it?

i wouldn't say it enhances performance, but at a certain point it is crucial to safety. in my ways, IMHO.

i've seen someone roll an ankle in running shoes back out of a squat. i've also seen (or heard rather) the air pocket go POP because it couldn't handle the stress of a 150+ body PLUS 300lbs on shoulders.

many people like to deadlift barefoot because it gets you extra leverage by getting you closer to the ground, but if you drop a plate on your toe, your workout is probably gonna end pretty quickly.

not sure if you even do these.....
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

i actually asked about this and the response wasn't that it was unsafe, but rather unsanitary. only work boots are unsafe.

how thick are the soles?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
At least it wasn't Planet Fitness....

Planet Fitness rocks. I go in, do my cardio, lift, then leave. No douchebags hogging free weights or machines. Get in and get out seems to be the motto of most people there.

And no one gives a shit about what shoes you wear. I was a member of WSC and the members were fucking tools. I can only imagine what the clientele is like at NYSC.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#45]
are boots not safer? i guess thats why i have a free weight set of my own and dont go to gyms to pick up chicks. Maybe the manager was just trying to give you tips on how to pick up chicks?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Do you pick stuff up and put stuff down
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Shouldn't have kept your cool.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Real men lift heavy weights whatever hero.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
hit it

Wow, that was a cool story.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top