Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 4:48:11 PM EDT
I bought my first tablet recently. It is a Google Nexus 7 and I am really impressed with it. Great tablet and a phenomenal value.

I am now contemplating buying another tablet, as a gift. I want similar performance and value as my Nexus 7 but this time I want it to be mobile, and work with 3 and 4g, as well as wi-fi, etc.

My carrier is Verizon. I'd prefer to not have to buy from them, but I guess if tablets are 3/4g structured like phones, I will have to buy one subsidized through them and be stuck with an ETF etc?

Just wanting to hear some thoughts on those who have mobile tablets and what I should look for.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
No real help for you, except to say my only experience specific to your question is with AT&T and iPads.  We can just pay month to month for the service and cancel as needed without penalty.  I have no idea how Verizon handles it but I imagine it would be competitive.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Being a former owner of a 3g tablet, I'd say stick with a WIFI model.  The added initial cost and monthly fees just weren't worth it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Being a former owner of a 3g tablet, I'd say stick with a WIFI model.  The added initial cost and monthly fees just weren't worth it.

Maybe not for you, but I use my 3G first gen iPad daily off wifi. As soon as th iPad mini in 4G is released, I'm ALL over it!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe not for you, but I use my 3G first gen iPad daily off wifi. As soon as th iPad mini in 4G is released, I'm ALL over it!

I'm sure it is great, but we are Android folks, not apple

Thanks though.

The other option I am considering is just rooting her Samsung Galaxy Nexus and getting her the Nexus 7 (wi-fi only, like mine) and then she can use the wireless hotspot. That is probably the way to go to get a cheaper tablet on the front end and no additional monthly fee. Anyone doing this?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a Verizon 4g mifi hotspot when I travel and its just as fast as my home wifi setup. Not sure if would want to carry an extra device but it works great along side my Asus tablet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top