Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2012 3:18:49 PM EDT
Hmmmmm.
As you all know I relocated to Colorado and the other day I went into a Walmart and found a ok deal on a AR. I'm about to ask the clerk to pull it off the rack when I see this BS about I cannot buy it from them since currently I only have a TX DL and without a CO drivers license or a DL from a bordering state i cannot buy it?!
I've been to Cabela's in Grand Junction as well as a few small shops and was told "Rifle no problem, Pistol requires CO drivers license."
So Walmart can make up their own rules?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#1]
lol wut. They can do that? That doesn't seem legal, but with wal-mart I'm not surprised.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hmmmmm.

As you all know I relocated to Colorado and the other day I went into a Walmart and found a ok deal on a AR. I'm about to ask the clerk to pull it off the rack when I see this BS about I cannot buy it from them since currently I only have a CO drivers license?!

I've been to Cabela's in Grand Junction as well as a few small shops and was told "Rifle no problem, Pistol requires CO drivers license."

I don't see why not.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You should have sex with the manager until he dies.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Their business, their rules. They lost a sale, move on.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#6]
You may not be able to buy beer either. States want their licensing fees.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Did they have any FAL's?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
You need to change your username to saigamanCO.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Try buying a gun from dunhams. You can't even buy one with an update card. I moved in state. Company policy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hmmmmm.

As you all know I relocated to Colorado and the other day I went into a Walmart and found a ok deal on a AR. I'm about to ask the clerk to pull it off the rack when I see this BS about I cannot buy it from them since currently I only have a TX DL and without a CO drivers license or a DL from a bordering state i cannot buy it?!

Yes, they can.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Note to self: Do not become a Wal Mart manager.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You may not be able to buy beer either. States want their licensing fees.

Licensing fees my bollocks

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#13]
They could refuse to sell guns to anyone who isn't wearing a propeller beanie if they wanted to.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hmmmmm.

Cabelas was the one that is wrong! The rule is boarding state for long guns in state for handguns. Maybe they forgot that little piece of the Oklahoma pan handle that separates Texas and Colorado.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn potheads!

J/K
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Wanted to buy a Colt AR at a store in Scranton PA and they told me they would not sell to an out of state person.

Went to a big gun show next to a water park and bought a Remington Model 11 about an hour later.

Their store, their rules.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I think Iowa has residency time requirements before they will issue the permit necessary to buy handguns.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmmm.

Cabelas was the one that is wrong! The rule is boarding state for long guns in state for handguns. Maybe they forgot that little piece of the Oklahoma pan handle that separates Texas and Colorado.

Cabela's and 4 different stores.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#19]
wallmart wont sell me .22's because I am under 21. found that out the morning of a .22 shoot
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmmmm.

This

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Try buying a gun from dunhams. You can't even buy one with an update card. I moved in state. Company policy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

What the hell is an update card?

Glad I live in a free state, I have bought long guns in Georgia living in AL no problems twice. Move south.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hmmmmm.

Oh no!!!!!

A business makes it's own rules

What the fuck is this world coming to
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Wait, Walmart sells AR's?????
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wait, Walmart sells AR's?????

Not around here, which is fscking weird. We're the reddest state in the nation.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

In other news....Paul Newman has died.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmmm.

This

How it's always been when I'm traveling. If I want to buy they are more then happy to ship it to my FFL.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Of course Walmart can make up their own rules.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Just go to gunsmoke guns.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Gun stores make up their own rules all the time here.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hmmmmm.

Of course they can make up their rules, its their store.

Out of state drivers license is fine, but you do need to have government ID that shows your current address or you can't buy a gun from a FFL dealer anywhere in the US.

So if you now live in CO, but have a TX ID you'll need to have some other proof ( from the government ) where you live such as voter registration, car registration, etc.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Prolly make the corporate accountants cry to have special cross border cases in their system.

They don't really care about any one sale.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I dunno, I always thought that you always needed to be a resident of that state (which you are) AND have a valid state ID to buy from an FFL. That's why, if I've ever been to a gunshow or whatever out of state, they say they have to ship my purchase back to a MI FFL holder for transfer even for rifles..... I just thought that was a regulation for FFL holders (needing proof of residency in form of state ID).... Still pain in the ass though - I could buy a gun at a garage sale and nobody would know or care.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmmmm.

There is no rule about bordering states, it doesn't need to be bordering. It could be all the way across the country for long guns.

There is some regulations about it being a legal transaction in your state, but I'm not exactly sure how that works. Generally the majority of states can purchase long guns anywhere from an FFL.

Handguns must be in state.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#35]
And even when you get your DL, it will take extra paperwork for a fishing license
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#36]
As far as I'm aware, the address on your license has to be where you currently reside as filled out on the 4473.  How did you plan to represent your current CO residence with a TX ID?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Was your dump massive?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

As far as I'm aware, the address on your license has to be where you currently reside as filled out on the 4473.  How did you plan to represent your current CO residence with a TX ID?

It's still my place of residence until Jan. My dad before he passed had a house in Colorado. We are in the process of moving so technically my place of residence is still TX.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Get the fuck outta here, you can't honestly be surprised that business can make their own rules?

If you really are that naive new to the world (?) I'd like you to meet my good friend Prince NaGeem, the deposed ruler of Saudi Arabia, who has an easy way for you to make elevnty-billion dollars by simply cashing a check!  He won't make any rules, I promise, and all you have to do is deposit the check and write one for the difference and send it to him.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Get the fuck outta here, you can't honestly be surprised that business can make their own rules?

If you really are that naive new to the world (?) I'd like you to meet my good friend Prince NaGeem, the deposed ruler of Saudi Arabia, who has an easy way for you to make elevnty-billion dollars by simply cashing a check!  He won't make any rules, I promise, and all you have to do is deposit the check and write one for the difference and send it to him.

Nice form but a little rough on the landing he may have to settle for the bronze.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#41]
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensees-conduct-of-business.html#out-of-state-resident

Q: May a licensed dealer sell a firearm to a non-licensee who is a resident of another State?

Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensed dealer to a non-licensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensed dealer whose business is in the purchaser’s State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the dealer in his or her State of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over-the-counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3)]

Doesn't need to be a state resident or even a bordering state.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#42]
question 2

Since there are 49 other sets of laws, I can see why a retailer would not conduct such a transaction.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmmmm.

As you all know I relocated to Colorado and the other day I went into a Walmart and found a ok deal on a AR. I'm about to ask the clerk to pull it off the rack when I see this BS about I cannot buy it from them since currently I only have a CO drivers license?!

I don't see why not.

It's a private company.  It's not the law, but if they want to fuck themselves out of the sale, then let them fuck themselves...To the death.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensees-conduct-of-business.html#out-of-state-resident

Q: May a licensed dealer sell a firearm to a non-licensee who is a resident of another State?

Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensed dealer to a non-licensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensed dealer whose business is in the purchaser’s State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the dealer in his or her State of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over-the-counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3)]

Some states have laws about selling rifles/shotguns to residents of bordering states only, don't know if this is the case for CO but it is for OH.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Have a local buddy go get it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#46]
you should go get you a colorado ID.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They could refuse to sell guns to anyone who isn't wearing a propeller beanie if they wanted to.  

Nice!!! Looks like I'm good to go at that Walmart!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Just go to gunsmoke guns.

Colt LE6920 with the Wyatt reliability package only $15,000
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3)]

It was a TX law, not a federal law.  It has been changed.

Underlined are terms added to the law, terms with a strike through them were removed.
S.B. No. 1188

AN ACT
 relating to the interstate purchase of certain firearms.
        BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
        SECTION 1.  Section 46.07, Penal Code, is amended to read as
 follows:
        Sec. 46.07.  INTERSTATE PURCHASE. A resident of this state
 may, if not otherwise precluded by law, purchase firearms,
 ammunition, reloading components, or firearm accessories in
 another state [contiguous states]. This authorization is enacted
 in conformance with 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b)(3)(A)[, Public Law
 90-618, 90th Congress
].
        SECTION 2.  This Act takes effect immediately if it receives
 a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as
 provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution.  If this
 Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/81R/billtext/html/SB01188F.htm

This is how the law reads now:
Sec. 46.07.  INTERSTATE PURCHASE.  A resident of this state may, if not otherwise precluded by law, purchase firearms, ammunition, reloading components, or firearm accessories in another state.  This authorization is enacted in conformance with 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b)(3)(A).
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Does the address on your id match with your street address?
If the address on the id doesn't match with the address on the form, you can't buy it.

Eta:  I'm not sure this is law, but I've never seen an ffl let it happen.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top