Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2012 3:10:07 PM EDT
I have a couple of sets of old silverware.
They are in wood boxes .

Can I sell something like this somewhere.
Do you sell it as silverware or do you sell it as scrap silver?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
depends on what it is, is it REAL silver or just plated.  

If it is a complete real silver, antique set it can be worth quite a bit over spot.

if not complete, its basically spot price.  But, you should have it appraised, because some pieces are worth a mint.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Before going to scrap, I'd try Replacements.com - I think they will buy some old or hard to find patterns.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If it is a complete real silver, antique set it can be worth quite a bit over spot.

if not complete, its basically spot price.

One set was my grandmother's the other my wife's grandmother's.
I may have another set also. I'll have to check since they just sit in a shipping container.

I'm sure they are older though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Oh, hell yeah. Paul Revere was a silversmith. Whadda ya reckon a set made by him would fetch?

It depends on numerous factors.

OP...do your due dilligence....the interwebs awaits.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, hell yeah. Paul Revere was a silversmith. Whadda ya reckon a set made by him would fetch?

Where do I look?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah thats one of the few silversmiths in the US that even a non complete set can be a mint.  Even a single utensil can bring in between $2000 and $6000 depending on condition.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do I look?

your first stop is to look at the silverware you have and to find the makers mark.  then start looking from there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top