Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 8:38:57 AM EDT
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/critics-target-charlie-brown-christmas.html

We just keep on slipping and sliding.

Charlie Brown Embroiled in Christmas Controversy

Nov 19, 2012

By Todd Starnes

A stage version of the beloved holiday classic “A Charlie Brown Christmas” has sparked a constitutional controversy at a Little Rock, Ark. grade school.

Students at Terry Elementary School had been invited to attend an upcoming performance of the show at Agape Church. Teachers sent home letters informing parents that a school bus would shuttle children to and from the school-day show.

Pamela Smith, the communications director for the Little Rock School District, told Fox News that students were not required to attend the performance and as far as the district is concerned – there is no controversy

However, at least one parent objected to the field trip and contacted the Arkansas Society of Freethinkers, a self-described community of atheists, agnostics and humanists.

The bolded actually made me lol.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#1]
If you don't fucking like it, don't fucking go!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#2]
First post nails it again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Now, what kind of "free thinking" is that?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Where is the "state" part of her  "church and state" argument?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I wonder in lil rock if them so called teachers take Christmas with pay off.........makes you scratch your chin and say eeeehhhhmmm......
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#7]

...Pamela Smith, the communications director for the Little Rock School District, told Fox News that womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp...

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

...Pamela Smith, the communications director for the Little Rock School District, told Fox News that womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp...

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Took me a second, but

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I can find a way to deal with most of the shit society decides to ruin. When you go after Charlie Brown, you've gone too far.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

A *public* school ferrying kids to a church to watch a show about a religious observance?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Atheists quite literally want our education system to be more like the Soviet Union in 1955 than United States in 1955.

There were Bibles in many classrooms in the US in 1955. Imagine the horror!

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Atheists quite literally want our education system to be more like the Soviet Union in 1955 than United States in 1955.

I'm sure you would sit idly by if the schools started to teach/promote Islam, right?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No shit.
I could hardly be considered a champion of religion, but what's so hard about this? It's freakin' Charlie Brown, not Jack Chick Saves Christmas.

Idiots.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure you would sit idly by if the schools started to teach/promote Islam, right?

American public schools USED to actively promote Christianity.

Is America better or worse now that they no longer do so? Are American children receiving a better or worse education in public schools, now that Atheism is the only officially sanctioned religion in them?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Some one please post the "Inner City Christmas Charlie Brown" vid

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#22]
What are they mad at?  The buses?

Does it bother them that the roads to the church are paid for with tax payer funds?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.
I could hardly be considered a champion of religion, but what's so hard about this? It's freakin' Charlie Brown, not Jack Chick Saves Christmas.

Idiots.

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There was a Bible in my elementary school classroom in the early 90s. WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Took me a second, but  

Same.

Good one.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would we be so lucky that we were equipping children with knowledge of other global culture.

Can I haz language class, 2? KTHXBI!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Google A Charlie Brown Kwanzaa

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I forgot that the country was founded on basic Islamic values.  Oh wait.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Some one please post the "Inner City Christmas Charlie Brown" vid

If you mean the Kwanzaa one,  I think that gets a warning.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

But don't post it in here.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's what I meant, Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Once again, these are not atheists. Atheists don't give a shit either way. These are anti-theists, and most atheists hate them even more than the theists do as we constantly have to deal with the fallout from dumb shit like this.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

A *public* school ferrying kids to a church to watch a show about a religious observance?

Not sure, but I don't think that's really what they meant.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure, but I don't think that's really what they meant.
I rode a public school bus home from Catholic school every day.

As long as you rode it away from the  school, and not towards it....
I played Santa Clause in my third grade Christmas play.      

Edit:  Wrong smiley.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a Bible in my elementary school classroom in the early 90s. WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!

There were piles of Bibles in my school I am sure the Vatican would be glad to take over schooling on a national level.

Based on what I've seen here in Utah, they'd probably do a much better job than the Publik Skools do.

Even the liberal atheists send their kids to Judge Memorial and Juan Diego High Schools....

ETA:  Those are Catholic High Schools in Salt Lake City.  Very difficult to get into.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#39]
If there were no government-run schools, we wouldn't have these issues.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

There were piles of Bibles in my school I am sure the Vatican would be glad to take over schooling on a national level.

Based on what I've seen here in Utah, they'd probably do a much better job than the Publik Skools do.

Even the liberal atheists send their kids to Judge Memorial and Juan Diego High Schools....

ETA:  Those are Catholic High Schools in Salt Lake City.  Very difficult to get into.
My wife and best friend also went to the same Catholic school and neither of them were Catholic. Now even though the Catholic churches are closing because of lack of attendance the Catholic school is full as the public school becomes increasing chaotic.

I've seen the same thing around here. Hell, my buddies daughter goes to a Catholic school where her best freind is Muslim, wears a hijab & everything.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

My wife and best friend also went to the same Catholic school and neither of them were Catholic. Now even though the Catholic churches are closing because of lack of attendance the Catholic school is full as the public school becomes increasing chaotic.

I'd send my daughter to Catholic school if homeschool wasn't an option and I could afford it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since this nation was not founded on Islamic moral and ethical beliefs your point is invalid. I get so sick of these quasi academic 'free thinkers' trying to push their agenda on everyone else. For the record no parent has complained to the principle, they just supposedly complained to this group. I think this group is sticking its nose in to a fight they have no business being in.

Hate Christianity all you want, you cannot deny the benefits of basing our nation's morals and values on Christian principles. I am not saying that we are a Christian nation, I am just saying that our laws and codes are primarily based on Christian beliefs and teachings and its is because of the nature of those beliefs that we and other nations like us have excelled in the world stage. If Islam did not have oil, they all would be like Pakistan and Afghanistan. Think of the nonchristian based nations in Africa and how they are doing. This is why it is no surprise to me that the farther away from those values and principles we get the worse this country gets. I am not saying God or Jesus is truning their backs on us, I am just saying that the Christian belief system is pretty effective at leading people to a good life.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

American public schools USED to actively promote Christianity.

Is America better or worse now that they no longer do so? Are American children receiving a better or worse education in public schools, now that Atheism is the only officially sanctioned religion in them?

Honestly, I don't imagine they're any different. The introduction of liberal ideology has done far worse to schools than the removal of ancient beliefs.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since this nation was not founded on Islamic moral and ethical beliefs your point is invalid. I get so sick of these quasi academic 'free thinkers' trying to push their agenda on everyone else. For the record no parent has complained to the principle, they just supposedly complained to this group. I think this group is sticking its nose in to a fight they have no business being in.

Hate Christianity all you want, you cannot deny the benefits of basing our nation's morals and values on Christian principles. I am not saying that we are a Christian nation, I am just saying that our laws and codes are primarily based on Christian beliefs and teachings and its is because of the nature of those beliefs that we and other nations like us have excelled in the world stage. If Islam did not have oil, they all would be like Pakistan and Afghanistan. Think of the nonchristian based nations in Africa and how they are doing. This is why it is no surprise to me that the farther away from those values and principles we get the worse this country gets. I am not saying God or Jesus is truning their backs on us, I am just saying that the Christian belief system is pretty effective at leading people to a good life.  

So my only two choices are Christianity or Islam....I say not thanks to both......
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Honestly, I don't imagine they're any different. The introduction of liberal ideology has done far worse to schools than the removal of ancient beliefs.

The former inevitably leads to the latter.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our nation was founded on western values. Our legal system is based on ancient Rome's following the way to it through English Common Law. The 10 commandments are not the basis of our legal system. Hamurabi was just as influential. We trace our values back to Athens and Rome, not Jerusalem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top