Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2012 7:53:46 AM EDT
I was wondering what people's opinions were on Slingbox.  I have a deer lease in the middle of nowhere (land locked) and get bored in between morning and evening hunts.  I was thinking about getting a slingbox since I get 3G reception so I can watch football.  I was going to use the Sling Player app through my iphone and connect to a tv through these cables.  Has anyone done this, will it work?  I have Time Warner Cable at home that I will be running the slingbox through.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#1]
The slingbox app for the iPhone is a little expensive but it works well.  I use a slightly older HD Slingbox.  The newer ones with HDMI I hear don't work well due to DMA, and they don't work on a Tivo.  You'll want to use component cables  What your setup will most likely look like:
1. You connect you slingbox to your router.  It says in the manual not to use wireless.  I use a wirless N gameing adapter and it works fine.  You will want to follow the setup for port forwarding for the slingbox.  You'll find it in the setup process under "Setup Internet Viewing"
2. You wire the output from your cable box to the slingbox, then wire the slingbox to the TV/Receiver.
3. Theres an IR device that you place in front of your cable box and attach to the slingbox.  This is how the slingbox will control the cable box.

Keep in mind this is a single user system.  So if someone is home watching the cable box, and you fire up the slingplayer, you'll be changing channels on them.  
Also if you want to hook a TV to the deviced on the receiving end, you don't have to use an iPhone.  You can use a Mac or PC laptop to receive from your slingbox, and the app is free for computers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the helpful reply, My gift to my wife for Xmas is an additional cable box so she can record her own crap and not tie up the living room tv so the one user thing shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an original Slingbox I bought in 2006 and the old Slinbox app. I do use is at home, traveling and in the deer stand. Well worth the cost of the app.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top