Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 7:40:19 AM EDT
Since about September, Facebook has offered its advertisers a powerful new way to track its users as they surf the Web: It's called "phone number retargeting." The move came after Facebook made a big effort to collect its users' mobile phone numbers to prevent security breaches.

More recently, according to AdExchanger, Facebook has combined phone retargeting with a new "conversion pixel" — basically  a type of tracking  device — within ads displayed on Facebook.

The combination of phone retargeting and conversion pixels allows advertisers to target you directly with ads and then measure exactly how you respond to them, whether by clicking, ignoring, or buying something from the advertiser's site.

Some advertisers have been doing this kind of thing on other websites for years.

But most Facebook users don't know it's going on within Facebook. Instead, they believe the primary reason Facebook prompts them for a mobile phone number is to prevent account hacking, and to allow users to upload photos and make status updates from their phones.

In fact, earlier this year, Facebook began asking every user for a phone number for "security" purposes. Here's what Facebook says about that:

But Facebook has since made those phone numbers available to advertisers as part of its new Custom Audience targeting product. "Audiences can be defined by either user email address, Facebook UIDs, or user phone numbers," the product states.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/remember-facebook-wanted-phone-number-150738396.html
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Reason #87 why I will never use Facebook.  And I'm not the least bit surprised.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:05:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I simply didn't provide Facebook with my phone number.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I love facebook!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Am I the only one here who uses an ad-blocker?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Google keeps asking me the same fucking thing!

How many times do I have to tell you fuckers no?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Facebook has ads? ABP + SocialFixer FTW!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Facebook has ads? ABP + SocialFixer FTW!

Allegedly.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#9]
it's a very slick process, and 100% of the Luddites will not understand what they're doing at all.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Google keeps asking me the same fucking thing!

How many times do I have to tell you fuckers no?

Whenever I log back into my YouTube page they ask me for my phone number, and I always decline.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

it's a very slick process, and 100% of the Luddites will not understand what they're doing at all.

As near as I can tell, they're using your phone number like a primary key. Seems to me like they're doing the same with other guaranteed unique identifiers, like an email address.

Ho-hum, honestly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:18:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Am I the only one that uses the phone number to a local pizza chain in this type of situation?

They have billboards, tv and radio ads and their number is part of their jingle... Only once in the past has a cashier called me on it when asked for a phone number at a store.

I use it online pretty frequently when signing up for stuff I don't want getting too much access to me.  I also use a dead end gmail account and the address of the local zoo.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

As near as I can tell, they're using your phone number like a primary key. Seems to me like they're doing the same with other guaranteed unique identifiers, like an email address.    

Ho-hum, honestly.

more or less, but they're combining with retargeting.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ho-hum, honestly.

You're missing the point.  If Facebook had originally told it's customer base that by giving their phone numbers to FB, FB would be selling them to advertisers, that'd be one thing.

No, they sold it as a "security feature", then changed their terms of service.  This was fraud.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What is this strange magic that you speak of, and how can I bind it to my explorer of the internet?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#16]

They don't have my real name, they won't be getting my phone number.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ho-hum, honestly.

You're missing the point.  If Facebook had originally told it's customer base that by giving their phone numbers to FB, FB would be selling them to advertisers, that'd be one thing.

No, they sold it as a "security feature", then changed their terms of service.  This was fraud.

they're not selling numbers to advertisers in the sense that you're thinking, but I do agree that the way that FB went about this was unethical.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I have my real name, full address and phone number in my profile. It's visible to friends (and very convenient, because I don't have to update all of them when I move). I'm not friends with anyone I wouldn't give this info to.

The fact that Facebook or advertisers have it? BFD. I remember a time when it was published in a phone book, that EVERYONE had access to.

Sheesh.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#20]
"If a service is free, you are not the conumer, you are the product"
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I have my real name, full address and phone number in my profile. It's visible to friends (and very convenient, because I don't have to update all of them when I move). I'm not friends with anyone I wouldn't give this info to.

The fact that Facebook or advertisers have it? BFD. I remember a time when it was published in a phone book, that EVERYONE had access to.

Sheesh.

I'm Somebody!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't see any ads or pixels coming from Facebook or any other advertiser.

I use Hostsman, Firefox with NoScript and AdBlockPlus.

So tracking is not an issue.

On my Android, I blocks ads and tracking via AdFree Android
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I personally think adblockers are a product of yesteryear's "dumb" advertising

I rarely see ads that I'm not interested in
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Google Voice.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sheesh.

I'm Somebody!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqqjVyOYmow
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ho-hum, honestly.

Did you accept the new terms of service?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sheesh.

You know, that's a fair point. I think we're so inundated with faux-'privacy' scares that we forget how little information actually is (or ever was) private.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ho-hum, honestly.

Oh, I never gave them my number to begin with (are you crazy?) But there were probably millions that did, and yes they probably accepted the new terms without reading them, because who ever reads it really.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I personally think adblockers are a product of yesteryear's "dumb" advertising

I rarely see ads that I'm not interested in

I just like a clean looking page, is all. I use them to customize the look of arfcom, too (I've removed entire CSS DIV containers).

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ho-hum, honestly.

Oh, I never gave them my number to begin with (are you crazy?) But there were probably millions that did, and yes they probably accepted the new terms without reading them, because who ever reads it really.

I fail to see the problem then.

Facebook updated their terms of service with the new information and the participating parties voluntarily agreed (though foolishly by not reading) and now need to deal with the consequences of their stupidity.

I for one have read citations of all the bullshit in facebook's terms of service and disagreed with quite a few things so I did not create one.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sheesh.

You know, that's a fair point. I think we're so inundated with faux-'privacy' scares that we forget how little information actually is (or ever was) private.

You also had to pay to not have your number in the phone book. At least we did here in S. Minnesota.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Who cares.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Meh... who needs facebook when you can get just as much drama, whining and bragging in GD?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sheesh.

You also had to pay to not have your number in the phone book. At least we did here in S. Minnesota.

Yep, the mystical "unlisted number".. you had to be famous, or something  

I also love watching old TV shows where the cop/detective gets to a building and everyone's name/apartment is clearly labeled on the buzzers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top