Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 7:23:01 AM EDT
Ok guys, i need some help here.

I bought a new SSD hard drive (Corsair Neutron 120Gb) to speed up my loading times etc...

The plan is to migrate my OS with the Paragon migrate software... as many people have done it without hassle..

Anyway... i physically installed my new SSD on the mother board... So, now on SATA port 5 and 6 (6gb ports) I have both my old HD (current OS) and my new SSD.

Thing is, first I i booted my computer in this configuration, my Asus motherboard pop up a menu to change the boot configuration, or to start with standard configuration.. Which I did.

2 things are happning now.. For one, at boot, i dont have my Asus Rampage Logo and tests anymore.. the computer directly goes to windows after a few black screens.. but this is a side problem,

The real problem is that when I hit DEL during the boot, and i go to the BIOS setting, I can see that both hard drive are available in the boot sequence menu.. of course, for now i've let my SSD as secondary.

But once windows has booted, there is no trace of my new SSD drive... It doesnt appear as a new hard drive in Windows. But, when i go to the device manager, the SSD hard drive is listed there, with the main HD, and it says that it works as it should..

how come windows doesnt see it ???

is that normal ???

(i think im gonna install that Paragon Migrate software and see what happens.. Maybe that software will somehow allow to format the new hard drive and make it appear in windows..)
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to create a new volume on that new disk and format it.  In that process you would also assign it a drive letter and then it would work normally.

Your migration software may take care of this for you, I'm not familiar with it.  I would try that first.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You need to create a new volume on that new disk and format it.  In that process you would also assign it a drive letter and then it would work normally.

Your migration software may take care of this for you, I'm not familiar with it.  I would try that first.

YEP. YOU ARE RIGHT..

just installed the Paragon migrate OS, and it sure detects my new SSD drive, and gives me a few options to migrate things there. So it seems normal that i dont see anything about the SSD in windows as a hard drive right now.

I am still puzzled as for why I cant see my BIOS Rampage boot page pop up, with the mem test etc though..

Ps: from where would you manually create a new volume on that new SSD disk under windows7 ?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:31:22 AM EDT
[#3]
You may have enabled a fast boot option in the BIOS that bypasses that screen.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You may have enabled a fast boot option in the BIOS that bypasses that screen.

checked that, and apparently all is set for me to see the screen... but I dont see it.

well, I may check that again
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[Ps: from where would you manually create a new volume on that new SSD disk under windows7 ?[/div]

Disk Management
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YEP. YOU ARE RIGHT..

just installed the Paragon migrate OS, and it sure detects my new SSD drive, and gives me a few options to migrate things there. So it seems normal that i dont see anything about the SSD in windows as a hard drive right now.
I am still puzzled as for why I cant see my BIOS Rampage boot page pop up, with the mem test etc though..

Ps: from where would you manually create a new volume on that new SSD disk under windows7 ?

Right click on the disk in the disk management tool in computer management, and select "New Simple Volume"  (IIRC)  Sometimes it will bring up that dialog box on it's own when you go into disk management, after you have installed a new drive.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

YEP. YOU ARE RIGHT..

Right click on the disk in the disk management tool in computer management, and select "New Simple Volume"  (IIRC)  Sometimes it will bring up that dialog box on it's own when you go into disk management, after you have installed a new drive.  

thanks. i cant believe I didnt remember that. exactly the same in XP
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#8]
A bit of advise about SSD's and older existing mother boards.....They don't always play nice together.

I strongly suggest you update your motherboard to the latest Bios version as well as making sure you have the latest firmware on your SSD before you migrate or install your OS. If you are using a onboard RAID controller be sure and update the drivers for this as well.

My Asus Formula 4 needed a Bios upgrade and a driver upgrade for the RAID before I was successful in reinstalling the OS on Crucial SSD's

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A bit of advise about SSD's and older existing mother boards.....They don't always play nice together.

I strongly suggest you update your motherboard to the latest Bios version as well as making sure you have the latest firmware on your SSD before you migrate or install your OS. If you are using a onboard RAID controller be sure and update the drivers for this as well.

My Asus Formula 4 needed a Bios upgrade and a driver upgrade for the RAID before I was successful in reinstalling the OS on Crucial SSD's

Ill update it, you are correct,
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I also encounter a problem when migrating system with Aomei's free verision-Partition Assistant home edition. when I migrate the system, at reboot mode the program seems could not detect my SSD, it abort again and again. I have contact the support but there is still no reply, so someone please advice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top