Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/20/2012 7:20:46 AM EDT
I have a pair of Altama boots that I wear daily and want to really start putting the miles on them and I need some good socks to help my feet cause the ones I have are for shit.  So what do you guys wear when it comes to putting miles on your feet with good socks in your boots?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a pair of Altama boots that I wear daily and want to really start putting the miles on them and I need some good socks to help my feet cause the ones I have are for shit.  So what do you guys wear when it comes to putting miles on your feet with good socks in your boots?

I wore PT socks for most of the time I was in.

I'm guessing some decent athletic socks will do you just fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:28:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Not military but I do quite a bit of mountain hiking. I use the "smart wool" knockoff socks from Sams though the last time I was there they seem to have discontinued them. No matter, I had bought about 10 pairs thinking that could happen. They were a great deal. Hard to find a better sock than the Smart Wools.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wore PT socks for most of the time I was in.

I'm guessing some decent athletic socks will do you just fine.

Socks are real hard for me to find that fit well.  I have small feet (thanks Mom),  so if I can find quality socks that fit I'm in.  Figured I would ask the guys in the know
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I buy wigwams.  My buddies made fun of me and my $10 socks, but my feet loved them.  Especially when they are fresh out of the wash.  It's like walking on fluffy kittens.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not military but I do quite a bit of mountain hiking. I use the "smart wool" knockoff socks from Sams though the last time I was there they seem to have discontinued them. No matter, I had bought about 10 pairs thinking that could happen. They were a great deal. Hard to find a better sock than the Smart Wools.

Might just be your area.  The Sam's Club here has boxes of them.  Might want to have yours order some.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:36:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Most "hiking" socks have padding in crucial areas to help protect your feet.  I like Fox River, Smartwool, and Thorlos.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/omni-wool-multi-sport-hiker-fine-merino-wool-socks-3-pair/prod1620478.ip?navAction=

These?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#8]
My feet sweat alot. I like Under Armour Heatgear Socks for when it is hot. Other than that, Issue Green socks work well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:39:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I buy wigwams.  My buddies made fun of me and my $10 socks, but my feet loved them.  Especially when they are fresh out of the wash.  It's like walking on fluffy kittens.  

Noted : "like walking on fluffy kittens".  Since I am a dog person this makes me want to see what walking on fluffy kittens feels like.

Seriously anything that will give me good cushion in the sole and helps reduce blistering any I would try wearing fluffy kittehs if it helped
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#10]
A big part of it is getting your feet used to the boots, or buying boots decent enough to start with. You want to not use expensive socks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Go buy these. Trust me.

I've tried them all, these are best. I can't emphasize this enough...THESE ARE THE BEST HIKING SOCKS EXTANT.

http://wrightsock.myshopify.com/products/escape
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Pack extra socks
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:44:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I used the gold toe, padded bottom of the foot deals from the PX... can't remember the name

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/omni-wool-multi-sport-hiker-fine-merino-wool-socks-3-pair/prod1620478.ip?navAction=

http://scene7.samsclub.com/is/image/samsclub/0040626594699_A?wid=206&hei=200&op_sharpen=1

These?

Yup, those are the ones. I have been in our local Club 3-4 times lately looking for them and they don't have any. Those are good socks, wear well and take good care of your feet.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Thin pair of polypropylene socks and some decent wool socks.  The layer will help prevent blisters.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Go buy these. Trust me.

I've tried them all, these are best. I can't emphasize this enough...THESE ARE THE BEST HIKING SOCKS EXTANT.

Good to see that those are US made. Where do you recommend buying them? Since I have started doing some "adventure running" etc...I have become a lot more particular about my feet!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Thorlo socks. Those were my winter socks and they were very cushioned.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:48:39 AM EDT
[#18]
The secret to happy feet is this: LINER SOCKS.

The liner sticks to your foot, the outer sock sticks to the boot so you don't have a direct rubbing on your foot. Poly pro liners also wick sweat away from the foot. Driy feet= less blister possiblity.

Smart wool and Thorlo both make excellent hiking socks. Any thin poly pro liner will due, some just last longer than others.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A big part of it is getting your feet used to the boots, or buying boots decent enough to start with. You want to not use expensive socks.

I've had the boots for a while now and they are very broken in.  They were nothing fancy to begin with.  Altama Desert Military boots.  I have found (for me anyways) that one of the most effective ways for me to lose weight and keep it off is to walk with a weighted vest or backpack on.  Did it 3 years ago and I dropped weight fast.  I want to use my running shoes for running and these boots for long walks while wearing my weighted backback.  Plus I get to see what 2 ankle surgeries can hold up to under stress and I want good socks to be on my feet.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I used to wear two pairs of socks. The first pair were as thin and silky/cottony as I could get––-like silky dress socks.  The next were my issued wool socks.  The first layer would let my feet breath a little and keep the wool socks from bunching up when they got soaked (usually with sweat).  Then, I'd change socks about half way through the day.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thorlo socks. Those were my winter socks and they were very cushioned.

Thorlos FTMFW!!!

They last a loooong time. (I'm still wearing the same 8 pairs that I bought almost two years ago.)

<––  Did a LOT of walking in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go buy these. Trust me.

Good to see that those are US made. Where do you recommend buying them? Since I have started doing some "adventure running" etc...I have become a lot more particular about my feet!

They have them at REI.

Quoted:
The secret to happy feet is this: LINER SOCKS.

The liner sticks to your foot, the outer sock sticks to the boot so you don't have a direct rubbing on your foot. Poly pro liners also wick sweat away from the foot. Driy feet= less blister possiblity.

Smart wool and Thorlo both make excellent hiking socks. Any thin poly pro liner will due, some just last longer than others.

Absolutely. The ones I linked above have an integrated poly liner that lets the body of the sock move independently.

Lemme put it this way: I've got some moleskin in my pack kit that's remained unopened since I started using these socks.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Go to REI and get their smartwools. I do a lot of hiking in Colorado and I've NEVER had a blister when I switched to these socks. If your hike is really long you can bring a second pair with you and swap half way. They are amazing.
ETA: My brother has done 3 tours and swears by those socks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

+1

I've got about 15 pairs with me right now. A good blended wool sock is what you want.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I used to wear two pairs of socks. The first pair were as thin and silky/cottony as I could get––-like silky dress socks.  The next were my issued wool socks.  The first layer would let my feet breath a little and keep the wool socks from bunching up when they got soaked (usually with sweat).  Then, I'd change socks about half way through the day.

^ This is the correct answer.

While roadmarching, we would put on a pair of calf length panty hose under our socks...never a blister because it allows your foot to slip on the rubbing spots instead of rub and get a blister.

Yes...i'm serious.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:59:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I Run FOX River socks. Bought 12 pairs in Iraq in 2005 and still have 8 that are serviceable. Wear them 7 days a week, as they are super comfortable.

Fox River
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Anything but cotton if you're going to be in cold weather.   "cotton kills"

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ This is the correct answer.

While roadmarching, we would put on a pair of calf length panty hose under our socks...never a blister because it allows your foot to slip on the rubbing spots instead of rub and get a blister.

Yes...i'm serious.

Not the first time I have heard this,  Came from my best friend when he did alot of this when he was with the 82nd.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:02:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had the boots for a while now and they are very broken in.  They were nothing fancy to begin with.  Altama Desert Military boots.  I have found (for me anyways) that one of the most effective ways for me to lose weight and keep it off is to walk with a weighted vest or backpack on.  Did it 3 years ago and I dropped weight fast.  I want to use my running shoes for running and these boots for long walks while wearing my weighted backback.  Plus I get to see what 2 ankle surgeries can hold up to under stress and I want good socks to be on my feet.

They work for you and are broken in.  Got it.  Altama isn't exactly a quality boot.  The pre-altama desert jungles blew them out of the water, and quality modern stuff like S2Vs or T8s are also an improvement.  Of course, I hate to put "Rocky" in the quality column, but the S2Vs are nice.  

After 3 years of daily walking, those Altamas are about done.  You might want to start looking at upgrading your boots in the near future.  I'd go with a nice civilian style boot such as Asolo Fugitives, but if you think the military type boot is better, that's your call.

To the topic in the OP, I'm a Fox River fan.  I have about 12 pairs of their military boot socks, that I bought for about $6 5+ years ago.  They rock.

I just picked up a couple pairs of their performance hiking socks for civilian type activities.  So far so good.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#30]
So really what I am seeing here is get a good liner and good wool blended socks.

I think I am going to try a variety of socks
Smart Wools
Fox River
Thorlos

And I already know it will be trial and error with the liners.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Am I the only one that loves the green socks?  I got out 4 years ago and I still wear them all the time.  It helps that I found about 40 pairs outside of supply in Afghanistan one day too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Go buy these. Trust me.

You'd better be right, fellow Texan. I just ordered a couple. I've been looking for decent socks over the last few months too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I Run FOX River socks. Bought 12 pairs in Iraq in 2005 and still have 8 that are serviceable. Wear them 7 days a week, as they are super comfortable.

Fox River

Yep, that's what I use...but green.  Bought them for about $6.

They last forever, and don't lose elasticity.  Great socks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go buy these. Trust me.

You'd better be right, fellow Texan. I just ordered a couple. I've been looking for decent socks over the last few months too.

You'll thank me with women, wine, and song.

Or at least you'll want to...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Plain white socks. Everything else is just spending money.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#37]
FOX RIVER

/THREAD
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Thorlos socks are the shit, especially the Anti-Fatigue socks, which won't bunch up into the toes of your boots like other socks I've tried.

Sock liners are a good idea, as well, but an even better idea is to powder your feet and take care of them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#39]
blisters are caused by friction rubbing on your feet, especially when wet due to sweat.

Thin prolypropelene socks (google "fox river polypropylene liner socks")as a liner, and a wool sock over that. Use lots of foot powder. both on your feet and over the polypro.

Polypro wicks sweat to the wool layer and keeps youe skin dry.

For the truly hardcore, make a habit of spraying your feet with anti persipirant.

The best wool socks are smartwool, but regular GI socks work fine, the key is the polypro.

polypro/wool works; avoid cotton.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So really what I am seeing here is get a good liner and good wool blended socks.

Smart Wools
Fox River
Thorlos

Thanks guys.

Honestly if you get the right sock you won't need a liner. Liners are for shitty socks or boots that don't fit. REI's wool socks cost like $7. Start there... you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Am I the only one that loves the green socks?  I got out 4 years ago and I still wear them all the time.  It helps that I found about 40 pairs outside of supply in Afghanistan one day too.

That's all I use.  I suppose if I walked more in my boots I would upgrade.  My first deployment the longest marches I went on were at max two miles to get to a project site and my green socks were good enough.  And that was with full gear on.  Sure, I wouldn't have minded better socks, but the GI green socks worked well and were free  

Now for a long day of skiing, I use SmartWool and love them!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I guess so, if you're just sitting in your mom's basement.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#43]
OP, I would also recommend different/better boots. I've always been unimpressed with "military" style boots. They're generally made more to look good in uniform than to actually be functional hiking boots. Or even functional work boots.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

True true
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, you know, if you've been in combat, gone hiking for an extended period of time, or done a few hundred combat patrols. *shrugs* Most guys I worked with simply wore white socks. They absorb more moisture due to not having been dyed.

Honestly the best way to prevent blisters is to condition your feet. Which takes time and means getting blisters and letting calluses form over them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#46]
I wear black dress socks while in uniform, and for the most part, while out of uniform. As long as its not cotton, I'm good. My feet sweat a lot, so the dress socks are light, dry quick, and help save my feet from blisters in poor fitting boots by creating less friction. If its not cold, I'm set.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smart Wools
Fox River
Thorlos

Thanks guys.

Honestly if you get the right sock you won't need a liner. Liners are for shitty socks or boots that don't fit. REI's wool socks cost like $7. Start there... you won't be disappointed.

I disagree, for reasons already listed. Smartwools and thorlos aren't shitty socks and boots don't fit, all the time. When you put 25 miles in in one day, your feet are not the same size at the end of the day as when you started. It is wise to have a couple different sets of socks with you so you can keep your feet dry with fresh socks and adjust fit as necessary, using different combos.

Hell, most peoples feet aren't even the same size. I know more than one guy who uses different socks on each foot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I used the gold toe, padded bottom of the foot deals from the PX... can't remember the name

I concur.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

OP, I would also recommend different/better boots. I've always been unimpressed with "military" style boots. They're generally made more to look good in uniform than to actually be functional hiking boots. Or even functional work boots.

This is noteworthy - I bought a couple pairs of Danner's... they rock.

I have a set of 5.11 8" tac-lites now... holy shit are they grand.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I have a pair of Altama boots that I wear daily and want to really start putting the miles on them and I need some good socks to help my feet cause the ones I have are for shit. So what do you guys wear when it comes to putting miles on your feet with good socks in your boots?

Your first mistake is buying a pair of Altamas...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top