Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 6:50:53 AM EDT
I'm going I start canning and need some recommendations about what to get.
$150 max and I have a glass top stove.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Glass top stoves do not work well with Pressure canners. They have a tendancy to crack due to the weight of the canner and its contents.

Top of the line is the all-american canner. I hair higher than your price range, but worth every penny.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:04:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Glass top stoves do not work well with Pressure canners. They have a tendancy to crack due to the weight of the canner and its contents.

Top of the line is the all-american canner. I hair higher than your price range, but worth every penny.

+1 We have an All American that will hold 12 quart jars and don't use it on the glass top. It goes on the side burner of the grill on the patio.

Get a smaller canner or use an alternate heat source.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I've canned the past three years on a glass top stove with a 24 quart Prestomatic with no ill effects.

Though the all american gets top bill, it bothers me that I have to tighten and then loosen 6 clamps to get the top off.

I like the biggest presto  with prestomatic jiggler you can find on ebay. The lid twists on –– no multitude of clamps and the prestomatic will hold 5#, 10# and 15# in a one piece jiggler; fewer pieces to get lost.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#4]
"All American" is by far the best Canner, but is pricey.

I use the All American 915.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I rent for right now so I don't want to risk it, how well do the grill burners work?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:31:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a All American Pressure Canner Model 921, 21 Quart. I bought it because it is widly recognized as the best pressure canner and you don't have to install a gasket. I also purchased a 2-burner outdoor camp stove, cost was about $80.00. We have glass top stove and didn't want to risk breaking the surface. In addition, whenever we are canning, it is typically hot weather and having the stove outdoors is much more comfortable with regards to the heat. You are going to spend more than $150.00 if you want a high quality pressure canner, but you should be able to pass it down to your children. IMO, allocate some more money, buy once cry once, and purchase the All American pressure canner.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I rent for right now so I don't want to risk it, how well do the grill burners work?

For us they work great. Since you are in FL also, I assume you won't have a problem. In cooler climates I have no idea.

Strangely enough the things freak the shit out of me and the thought of a pressurized bomd with glass shards and sticky jelly or baked beans is reason eough to stick the damn thing outside.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The " Jet " burners DO NOT - the heat is isolated in the center, creating a pressurized weak spot at the bottom of the pressure cooker.

You would want one with a donut style burner similar to this pic .... they still put out a mega-shit ton of heat.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I am a buy once, cry once person so I'm going to go with one of these:

http://www.allamericancanner.com/allamerican921pressurecanner.htm

And heat it with one of those little propane stands like pictured above.
Thanks for the help guys.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top