Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2012 6:50:48 AM EDT
that I saw in this thread https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1393066_Hobby_lobby_forced_into_providing_abortions.html&page=1#i36726197

So this is a FEDERAL mandate?

If so, so much for me wanting to get ahead and make money.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:54:52 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I understand it is a federal mandate in that if you work over 29 hours a week you are considered full time and benefit requirements/penalties kick in for the employer.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Elections have consequences.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:58:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
From what I understand it is a federal mandate in that if you work over 29 hours a week you are considered full time and benefit requirements/penalties kick in for the employer.

So all that really may mean is that I may get my insurance cut and not necessarily my hours?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:58:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Didn't vote for the guy. Nice try though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't either but whats a guy to do now? 2016 is a long way.................. away.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:01:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Elections are racist!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:01:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So all that really may mean is that I may get my insurance cut and not necessarily my hours?

If your employer didn't provide you ins. already I would worry about being put down to "part time".  Your ins. plan will probably still suffer over the next several years.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:02:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If your employer didn't provide you ins. already I would worry about being put down to "part time".

I do get insurance.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you work more than the 29 hrs a week, your employer has to either offer you insurance or pay a penalty to .gov if they do not offer you insurance.

So it all depends if you company will A. still offer insurance, B. opt out and pay the fine, or C. cut your hours back, so they do not have to do either option A or B.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If your employer didn't provide you ins. already I would worry about being put down to "part time".  Your ins. plan will probably still suffer over the next several years.

This.  

If you already have insurance your hours are probably safe, if not, and the employer can't afford to or doesn't want to provide it and not pay a $2,000 penalty per employee they will cut hours to avoid the full time classification.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:08:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Are some companies exempt?

Some liberal chick I know works for a non profit, but they won't give her full time status.  Now she is all giddy that the 32 hours a week that she works will land her bennies.

Company is pretty big.. 150+ employees, majority are part time. But they do have at least 20 full time employees.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Some liberal chick I know works for a non profit, but they won't give her full time status.  Now she is all giddy that the 32 hours a week that she works will land her bennies.

Company is pretty big.. 150+ employees, majority are part time. But they do have at least 20 full time employees.

She'll probably get dropped down to 29 hours a week.  My bet is she's in for a real surprise.

ETA:  Four 7's is going to be the new work week for a lot of people I think.  Or five 5's or something.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:10:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Little does she know, but they will probably cut her hours back to 28, so she can still be considered part time.  That way the company wont have to offer her "bennies" or pay the fine.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Obamacare will not prevent companies from protecting themselves.  It would be like you trying to drown someone in a bathtub, their natural inclination is to fight you and get air.

Hourly workers (if you work for a company with more than 50 employees) you have a very good chance of losing 30% of your hours thus 30% of your former paycheck because of this bullshit.

Thanks Obama!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Ill take it that there aren't exemptions then..
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

She'll probably get dropped down to 29 hours a week. My bet is she's in for a real surprise.

ETA:  Four 7's is going to be the new work week for a lot of people I think.  Or five 5's or something.

Happy obamma day bitch
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:17:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If you work more than the 29 hrs a week, your employer has to either offer you insurance or pay a penalty to .gov if they do not offer you insurance.

So it all depends if you company will A. still offer insurance, B. opt out and pay the fine, or C. cut your hours back, so they do not have to do either option A or B.

Considering that we just are about to wrap up open enrollment, I would imagine we'd still do option A.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She'll probably get dropped down to 29 hours a week. My bet is she's in for a real surprise.

Happy obamma day bitch

Yeah pretty much.  They got what they asked for.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

See the line under my avatar? Over 50 employees and the government owns your ass.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

See the line under my avatar? Over 50 employees and the government owns your ass.

I thought it had to be F/T, or some weird combo.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Most companies are just laying people off and cutting hours.  When asked for more people to do the work they say deal with it.  Most people do not understand how much these companies pay in Insurance.  Obamacare will most likely save business owners money in the long run.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#22]

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. " –– Mark Twain

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#23]
We're at 25 employees, so we're under the minimum.

If they lower the minimum to 25, you can bet your ass a couple of people will go to 5 hours a day.

If I can't get private insurance under Obamacare, I sure as hell ain't paying for more free rides.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't either but whats a guy to do now? 2016 is a long way.................. away.

and his 2nd term hasn't started yet

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Lucky me, the company I work for is way under the limit so they don't have to provide me insurance.  I will end up having to pay the penalty for not having insurance, and still won't have insurance.  Obamacare is all but mandating that I will never have insurance.  Good job, asshole.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#26]
The World ends in December so don't sweat obamacare.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I can see it now... 29hour/full time status starts... Hundreds of thousands of folks get their hours cut... Companies then hire in a few tens of thousands of folks at part time to plug that hole...

Chairman Obama takes credit for creating tens of thousands of "new" jobs.

May the fuck be upon the FSA and all who support them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I thought we had till 2014.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#29]

You can get abortions at Hobby Lobby?  What aisle are they in?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#30]
You wouldn't have made any there anyway
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A whole mess of people are about to be fucked by that federal mandate.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He never said you did. Nice try are being witty
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#33]
All those part timers add up for a fine also.

Part-Time and Seasonal Employees

Fines to employers under the employer mandate also are imposed on workers who are not full-time employees, where a combination of employees working 120 hours per month (around 30 hours per week) count as one employee. This provision in the bill especially hurts seasonal businesses, where it is frequently not cost effective to provide insurance benefits to an employee who will only be with the firm for a short period of time.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sure, like the one SEUI that is gonna strike at LAX over the holiday, because they can't get affordable insurance.  They were given a waiver on Obamacare....

TXL
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I can see it now... 29hour/full time status starts... Hundreds of thousands of folks get their hours cut... Companies then hire in a few tens of thousands of folks at part time to plug that hole...

Chairman Obama takes credit for creating tens of thousands of "new" jobs.

May the fuck be upon the FSA and all who support them.

That's exactly what is going to happen...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#36]
The irony here is that the very people the Democrats purport to be wanting to help will get hit the hardest.  How to put this... If you aren't possessing of a valuable skill set, education, or profession, or able to provide your own significant income, getting shoved into 28 hour a week positions with no benefits is going to be the new norm.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The irony here is that the very people the Democrats purport to be wanting to help will get hit the hardest.  How to put this... If you aren't possessing of a valuable skill set, education, or profession, or able to provide your own significant income, getting shoved into 28 hour a week positions with no benefits is going to be the new norm.

This is the liberal way.  They want to make people dependent on government hand outs.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Obamacare is simply a ploy to get everyone on the .gov insurance plan, which will mean single payor and everyone will get the same shitty care paid for by exhorbitant taxes.

$2000 penalty is a MUCH BETTER DEAL for business than the $10,000 per employee it costs for insurance. Business is going to begin dumping people to the .gov system next year. The majority idiotic public will get what they voted for... unfortunately, not all of us voted this way.

Tell me that they are stupid... they are brilliant and the General American Public are the idiots.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Open enrollment meeting at work next week... can't wait to see how Obamacare will lower my premiums

Probably 20-30% hike and even higher prescription deductibles and co-pays...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Obamacare is simply a ploy to get everyone on the .gov insurance plan, which will mean single payor and everyone will get the same shitty care paid for by exhorbitant taxes.

$2000 penalty is a MUCH BETTER DEAL for business than the $10,000 per employee it costs for insurance. Business is going to begin dumping people to the .gov system next year. The majority idiotic public will get what they voted for... unfortunately, not all of us voted this way.

Tell me that they are stupid... they are brilliant and the General American Public are the idiots.

Before Obamacare was implemented, my company paid me benefits with NO ONE FORCING THEM TO.  Why would they all of a sudden stop?

They didn't have to pay me benefits before, so the main difference I see (in this argument––the law itself sucks) is that places that did NOT offer health insurance will have to now pay $2000 per employee.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before Obamacare was implemented, my company paid me benefits with NO ONE FORCING THEM TO.  Why would they all of a sudden stop?

They didn't have to pay me benefits before, so the main difference I see (in this argument––the law itself sucks) is that places that did NOT offer health insurance will have to now pay $2000 per employee.

Because what used to cost them $3k a year is now 8K a year.  Thanks to obamacare.

So, if it costs $8K a year vs 3k a year, why would they not stop.  I bet you expect a raise at the end of the year as well...

TXL
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I bet that certain elective surgeries will be available though.

Sex changes for one.  And probably abortions one day..
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Oh goody. I've seen what public insurance is like, and it's not pretty.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Oh goody. I've seen what public insurance is like, and it's not pretty.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew that. I was just saying. Chill out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because what used to cost them $3k a year is now 8K a year.  Thanks to obamacare.

So, if it costs $8K a year vs 3k a year, why would they not stop.  I bet you expect a raise at the end of the year as well...

TXL

Has it gone up that much yet?  I don't work in corporate accounting/HR, so I have no idea.  I know they are trying to make us pay more (of course it HAS gone up more).

I think they would lose a LOT of talented people if they dropped healthcare completely, since that is a major reason many folks stay on.  

Yes, we (most) will very likely get raises.  Big ones will likely be rare, and they likely won't keep up with COL and inflation, but better than 0.  Will probably get some kind of performance bonus early next year as well.  Company is actually very busy at the moment, who knows how many years that lasts though.  Gird ye loins and all that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew that. I was just saying. Chill out.

Yeah, was not a shot at you, more at our <airquotes> fellow citizens <airquotes>
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#48]
If I can't get a salaried position I'm thinking my hopes and dreams of ever having a good income are done for.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If I can't get a salaried position I'm thinking my hopes and dreams of ever having a good income are done for.

Yeah, I'm hourly.  So much for aspirations of wanting to be on my own.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

that I saw in this thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1393066_Hobby_lobby_forced_into_providing_abortions.html&page=1#i36726197

So this is a FEDERAL mandate?

If so, so much for me wanting to get ahead and make money.

So, a craft store's policies on abortion and insurance suddenly zapped any and all motivation out of you?  Uh-huh

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top