Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2012 4:00:45 AM EDT
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/20128067/parents-of-teen-driver-responsible-of-killing-his-friends-in-crash-charged

Long Island prosecutors have charged the parents of a 17-year-old teen responsible for the high-speed car crash that killed four of his friends.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:02:31 AM EDT
[#1]
corruption of blood
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:08:26 AM EDT
[#2]
In my state, there is a traffic charge for allowing an unlicensed person to operate a vehicle. I don't know if that has been successfully extended to parents of permit drivers out past curfew, unauthorized passengers, etc., but that's all it should be on the parents. A traffic infraction.

The boy driving is at fault. His parents didn't kill the passengers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:13:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:15:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:20:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not sure that applies to allowing someone with a learner's permit to drive http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/VAT/V/20/511-a It doesn't sound like it but who knows

I'm not seeing it in there. Even if they did allow him out in violation of the permit terms, all they'd likely see is a trip to traffic court.

The article heading made it sound like the parents had done something heinous, but the kid needs to hang on his own. Mom and Dad weren't behind the wheel.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:21:24 AM EDT
[#6]
When I had my learner's permit, if someone else in the car was 18+, you were good to go.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:24:02 AM EDT
[#7]
to be fair, there is no justice..........only the law.

and the law is whatever can be argued in court successfully.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:24:53 AM EDT
[#8]
They shoulda done that to my neighbor a few years back.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:28:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Kid was old enough to make an adult decision to walk down to the quicky mart and get some twinkles or risk general population in the state pen...

Bubba will find him quite attractive
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:36:10 AM EDT
[#10]
"Joseph Beer, who was in court Friday, was high on marijuana and going
more than 110 mph on the Southern State Parkway when he lost control and
crashed into the woods around 4:00 a.m. "

I thought marijuana was harmless!

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:41:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"Joseph Beer, who was in court Friday, was high on marijuana and going more than 110 mph on the Southern State Parkway when he lost control and crashed into the woods around 4:00 a.m. "

It is harmless.

It was the trees in the woods that did him in.....

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:58:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"Joseph Beer, who was in court Friday, was high on marijuana and going more than 110 mph on the Southern State Parkway when he lost control and crashed into the woods around 4:00 a.m. "

Billy Joe Bob achieves the same effect by downing a case of Bud Lite...

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:13:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nice strawman there.. No one has argued that marijuana isn't intoxicating or that it's safe to operate a motor vehicle while being stoned.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Done what?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice strawman there.. No one has argued that marijuana isn't intoxicating or that it's safe to operate a motor vehicle while being stoned.

Actually, a lot of people argue exactly that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

In my state, there is a traffic charge for allowing an unlicensed person to operate a vehicle. I don't know if that has been successfully extended to parents of permit drivers out past curfew, unauthorized passengers, etc., but that's all it should be on the parents. A traffic infraction.

The boy driving is at fault. His parents didn't kill the passengers.

They enabled him and contributed to his actions.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No strawman, people claim driving while stoned is harmless all the time

http://www.equalrights4all.org/fcda/driving.htm

Some idiots even argue it makes the drivers safer because they drive slower to compensate for being stoned

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#19]
If this is going to be the "status-quo," then no drivers licenses for teens until they're 18.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Negligent entrustment (when the civil suits hit).
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Kids do dumb shit. Sometimes, it costs them their lives. Oh well.

I'd never do 110 in a car sober let alone high. Fuck that noise. Sounds like that kid was fucking stupid before he inhaled.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Some idiots even argue it makes the drivers safer because they drive slower to compensate for being stoned

Both arguements are ridiculous.

Marijuana or Alcohol do not "make" anyone anything.  

Idiotic behavior requires no intoxicant.

Intoxicants do not cause idiotic behavior.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done what?

They should have gone after my neighbors for contributing to their daughter running a car load of kids into the side of a fuel tanker truck.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

When I had my learner's permit, if someone else in the car was 18+, you were good to go.  

Yup

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
corruption of blood

GR
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is harmless.

It was the trees in the woods that did him in.....

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Prosecutors say Aaditia and Patricia Beer of Queens allowed their son Joseph to drive their 2012 Subaru on October 8 even though he only had a learner's permit.

Joseph Beer, who was in court Friday, was high on marijuana and going more than 110 mph on the Southern State Parkway when he lost control and crashed into the woods around 4:00 a.m.  

The Richmond Hills High School student was the only survivor while his passengers - Chris Khan, Peter Kanhai and Darian Ramnarine, all 18, and Neal Rajapa, 17 - were killed in the crash. All of the passengers were flung from the car. Joseph was taken to a hospital for minor injuries.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Meh...the kids in the car are also partially responsible for their own deaths.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

to be fair, there is no justice..........only the law.

and the law is whatever can be argued in court successfully.

This.  Absofuckinlutely THIS.  The law is whatever a prosecutor can get a judge or jury to go along with.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Vicarious liability

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Meh...the kids in the car are also partially responsible for their own deaths.

Yep
1) getting in the car with a driver that is high
2) not using a seat belt when said stoned driver is doing 110 mph
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Then they are as stupid as the ones that don't think people should be arrested for DUI if they don't cause any accidents.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Why does the drunk/high douchebag ALWAYS fucking live after killing someone with their stupidity?

Examples need to be made. Such as public hangings of such offenders.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm perfectly fine with this.  Maybe parents will start taking responsibility for their child's actions.  

Fuck the "MBDDN" crowd.
-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I did faaaaar more idiocy behind the wheel at 16 while sober than at 19 stoned. Hell, stoned is the only way ive ever done the speed limit or less.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

There are people who say the same about alcohol, both are idiots.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of people argue that Earth is 5,000 years old, but that doesn't make it anymore truthful.  A lot of people say stupid shit.

Chris

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks like the charge carries a whole 15 days jail or $300 fine so whats the point? Its not a deterrent

Are they trying to give some sort of foundation for civil action ?
the kid is going up for motor vehicle homicide anyway
googled up a pic  figured it was a WRX as every other Subaru I have been around wouldn't do 110

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Looks like the charge carries a whole 15 days jail or $300 fine so whats the point? Its not a deterrent

googled up a pic  figured it was a WRX as every other Subaru I have been around wouldn't do 110

http://i49.tinypic.com/28hpn2r.jpg

Hell, from the looks of it that might even be an STI.  Either way, I don't know of a single Subaru made in the last 10 years that CAN'T do 110.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, from the looks of it that might even be an STI.  Either way, I don't know of a single Subaru made in the last 10 years that CAN'T do 110.

all except WRX/STI are governed at around 105-110 indicated

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:46:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:10:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

links?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

In NY you are generally responsible for whatever someone does while driving your car anyway as long as they had your permission, assuming the car is registered to one or both of the parents.

So I could borrow Bloomberg's car and drive through the crowded MAIG office and he'd be partially responsible for the carnage?  WTF kind of sense does that make?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Why does the drunk/high douchebag ALWAYS fucking live after killing someone with their stupidity?

Examples need to be made. Such as public hangings of such offenders.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/19/intoxicated-patients-more-likely-to-survive-traumatic-injuries-study-finds/

"The
study analyzed 190,612 patients treated at trauma centers between 1995
and 2009 following traumatic injuries such as fractures, internal
injuries and open wounds. Those with alcohol in their system had a lower
mortality rate across the range of injuries, with burns being the only
exception.

"At the higher levels of blood alcohol concentration, there was a
reduction of almost 50 percent in hospital mortality rates,”
explained
Lee Friedman, an assistant professor at the University of Illinois at
Chicago. "This protective benefit persists even after taking into
account injury severity and other factors known to be strongly
associated with mortality following an injury.”"

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I did a little more digging on the story(besides actually reading the link OP posted). One article says with a learners permit you must have a 21+ year old with you, can't drive from 9pm-5am, and no family members under 21 in the car. Accident occurred at 4am.

He is suspected of being high, they are checking. The car was a brand new 2012 Subaru STi which one article claims had a "performance enhancement package" which I assumed to mean the STi part, not additional stuff(lame cops hyped up story + sloppy writer).

I thought parents are "responsible" for all their children until the age of 18? Isn't that what disowning is about? Anyway, if the age part is correct then the parents only defense is to say the kid stole the car. He could technically own a Lamborghini and follow the rules, so the make/type of car is moot.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:42:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So I could borrow Bloomberg's car and drive through the crowded MAIG office and he'd be partially responsible for the carnage?  WTF kind of sense does that make?

Did Bloomie give you the car knowing that you were for whatever reason not legal to drive it?
That would be the requirement that would have to be met.
These parents knew their kid was not a licensed driver.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:47:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did Bloomie give you the car knowing that you were for whatever reason not legal to drive it?
That would be the requirement that would have to be met.
These parents knew their kid was not a licensed driver.

All this talk of Bloomberg makes me wish he was a passenger, too.

MAKE IT STOP!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:49:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail.  Severe fail
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:56:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the contrary. Stoners argue all the time that marijuana, "It just makes you drive slow, man."

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top