Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2012 7:36:44 PM EDT

The local shooting range closed about 6 months ago - due to a retirement. There is an indoor range in town, but they have strange hours and are limited to handgun only.

The old range had to make a killing being the only real game in town. They were always busy and had a strong base of both regulars and newbies. I can't believe an aspiring entrepreneur hasn't opened up a new one. There is plenty of demand and I know they'd be successful.

Anyway, what's the longest you've gone without shooting?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I have my own range.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#2]
sadly...probably about 3 months
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have my own range.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I love living on a big farm, I step out my sliding glass door and ring some steel with anything I want. Just ran a full beta mag through my AR with the help of my slide fire stock the other night.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#5]
come to the Northeast and know true frustration......
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]

The city had the gun club range near town shut down because they built a school on the same road. All the members got together and set up a loan deal and purchased a large piece of land in the sticks and made really nice range.

Dues
$200 one time payment + $100 a year single, $150 per family
Must be or join the NRA
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot off my mirror all the time.  What is this "range" you speak of?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you own a car?  Serious question.

Yes:  I fail to see the problem.

No:  My condolences.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember when I first moved here I looked all over the place for a decent rifle range and couldn't find one at first.

Then one day I got to talking to the guy at my local gun shop, and I found a very nice private club to shoot at.

The kicker: it is only two miles from my house, and I just never knew it was there because it is pretty well hidden if you don't know what it is.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Where in Texas are you finding a problem with a place to shoot?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I just shot today. Luckily, I have several to choose from.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#12]
This is in Lubbock, Texas. Yes I have a car. The closest rifle range is 2+ hours away now. Not practical at all.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The local shooting range closed about 6 months ago - due to a retirement. There is an indoor range in town, but they have strange hours and are limited to handgun only.

The old range had to make a killing being the only real game in town. They were always busy and had a strong base of both regulars and newbies. I can't believe an aspiring entrepreneur hasn't opened up a new one. There is plenty of demand and I know they'd be successful.

Anyway, what's the longest you've gone without shooting?

I have nowhere within an hour's drive near me that it's worth wasting rifle ammo on. I have a few indoor ranges that I rarely go to around here (mostly because ammo is so fucking expensive... FBHO and Bernake).

And the reason a new range hasn't opened up is because of the code and liability nightmare that is owning an indoor range. Lawyers ruin everything fun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is in Lubbock, Texas. Yes I have a car. The closest rifle range is 2+ hours away now. Not practical at all.

Checked in with your HTF? It's been my experience that in rural areas there are usually a lot of informal places to shoot if you just know the right people.... garbage dumps, old railroad tracks, dead end dirt roads, that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Texas is all privately owned. My part of Texas is as flat as it gets. I don't know anyone with land.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Texas is all privately owned. My part of Texas is as flat as it gets. I don't know anyone with land.

Put together a business plan and make it happen, OP.  Now is your chance to strike while the iron is hot.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Every county I have ever seen in TX (except for say Bexar, Harris etc...) had a private group of people who had a range you could join for $35-$50. Sometimes you have to ask around as it's not well advertised and they shoot on one members property.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top