Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2012 7:07:09 PM EDT
Anyone here had a visit from the ATF as a result of a multiple sales form?  I had 3 lowers, 2 ar's, 2 benelli sbe2s, and a s&w 642 transferred to me last weekend.  I bet I get a visit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#1]
is it a  common thing they visit people? and what normally happens?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone here had a visit from the ATF as a result of a multiple sales form?  I had 3 lowers, 2 ar's, 2 benelli sbe2s, and a s&w 642 transferred to me last weekend.  I bet I get a visit.

Being Texas, I could see it. Close to the border.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have bought twice that multiple times without getting one
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes but I think they pay closer attention to border states.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Bet ya don't. That was an average Wednesday for me two years ago if you tossed in the fact I was picking up an approved silencer at my dealer while buying those.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I know of one guy who's gotten visted, they just want to make sure you're not buying to re-sell. He was super excited to show the agents his collection, sadly they didnt share the same type of enthusiasm

I also know of one guy who might be fucked if they show up, since he's sold most of the shit he's gotten transferred to him...

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bet ya don't. That was an average Wednesday for me two years ago if you tossed in the fact I was picking up an approved silencer at my dealer while buying those.

I wasn't aware there was a multiple sales form for non-border states two years ago.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

From what I understand, they just want to make sure you still have the guns and you are not acting as a dealer or trafficker.  Just a knock and talk.  Not really a big deal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Tin foil on to tight?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tin foil on to tight?

Nope.  It happens in border states.  It's real. Just do a little googling.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tin foil on to tight?

If you have nothing to hide, what's the issue?

ETA: Besides being miffed that your tax money is being wasted on a "check up" visit AFTER the background checks on all those points of sale. That's admitting that the system doesn't work. Not to mention in my state that's $10 per instant check - so roughly $80 of my own money would have been flushed doing paperwork only to get a home visit from the ATF.  

Nevermind my first point, it bothers me now too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I understand, they just want to make sure you still have the guns and you are not acting as a dealer or trafficker.  Just a knock and talk.  Not really a big deal.

And do they demand to see the guns or can you use your first and forth amendments and tell them to take a hike?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tin foil on to tight?

I didn't know that I said I had an issue with it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tin foil on to tight?

The issue is that you folks in Tennessee aren't subject to it. Happy to see you rethought that!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And do they demand to see the guns or can you use your first and forth amendments and tell them to take a hike?

Or just show them the guns and let them be on their way.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#16]
What's the protocol for that sort of thing? I assume they still need a warrant if you don't consent to a search of your property.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tin foil on to tight?

ETA: Besides being miffed that your tax money is being wasted on a "check up" visit AFTER the background checks on all those points of sale. That's admitting that the system doesn't work. Not to mention in my state that's $10 per instant check - so roughly $80 of my own money would have been flushed doing paperwork only to get a home visit from the ATF.  

Nevermind my first point, it bothers me now too.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What's the protocol for that sort of thing? I assume they still need a warrant if you don't consent to a search of your property.

I would assume so.  You haven't done anything illegal but I would assume that you would cause yourself more trouble than nessisary by telling them to FO.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Beats me. I know the game warden isn't hld to the same standard as the police, so where does BATFE fit in?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Beats me. I know the game warden isn't hld to the same standard as the police, so where does BATFE fit in?  

Well judging from fast & furious........
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Just tell them you still have them and thanks for stopping by.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#22]
They just show up at your door.  No call, no notice.  Just show up.

If you don't answer your door, they leave their card in your mailbox and a voicemail on your phone.

They will followup.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or just show them the guns and let them be on their way.

not really the point..... Kinda not their business.....
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#24]
That was kind of a dickish response I posted, and it had nothing to do with texassooner or his factual response to my earlier post,
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

We have had only one customer that has been visited by the BATF, or I should say only one that we are aware of. The customer had bought several handguns over a 30-40 day period, and sometimes we had to do a multiple purchase form.

The customer told us that the local BATF agent contacted him and wanted to see the handguns that were on the multi purchase forms. The customer told them he would not allow them access to his house without a warrant, however the BATF was free to choose any four handguns from the forms, and he would bring them to the local BATF office. That satisfied the BATF agent, and the agent told the customer that it wouldn't be necessary to see the guns.

This is a customer who I trust to tell the truth and not some BS artist. The customer said he had every pistol he had bought, so he wasn't worried even if the ATF did get a warrant.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, I thought that VT did share an international border...

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tin foil on to tight?

Shit, a friend of mine got a visit after a pawnshop he frequents here in IA had a compliance check! Agent doing the audit noticed his name over and over, and asked something like "Who's this XXXX that keeps popping up in your books? He should have his own FFL." Pawnshop owner explained that he's just a regular who collects, they checked into him and showed up at his door do verify that his collection was indeed legal and as large as the pawnshop had said. At last count it was 517. His "gun safe" is a converted bedroom with a good quality locking door.

Yes, ATF visits in non-border states can happen with 100% legal collections.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you got me there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

vermont is a border state

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you don't answer your door, they leave their card in your mailbox and a voicemail on your phone.

They will followup.

Did they come after you or just someone you know?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

vermont is a border state

Evil firearms and regular scissors with sharp pointy ends are verboten in Canada.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I know some people who buy like 4 or 5 guns a year..... Is that enough for them to get a visit? Or A guy at the range who bought 8 Mosins for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I know some people who buy like 4 or 5 guns a year..... Is that enough for them to get a visit? Or A guy at the range who bought 8 Mosins for the hell of it.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/080911-qa-multiple-rifles.pdf
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it has more to do with which country is on the other side of that border. America's hat isn't exactly known for their drug cartels cutting off people's faces and sewing them to a hockey puck. And this BS only happened after Fast and Furious.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/080911-qa-multiple-rifles.pdf

so they have to be semi auto and above a .22. Very informative.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will followup.

Me but it wasn't for a multiple gun visit.  It was for an 03 FFL inventory.  Agent told me they were making inroads into border states because of gun smuggling to Mexico.  Apparently, there's a big market for Mosin Nagants by cartel members or something.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Unless you are in a bad area i really bet you won't get a visit. They've got bigger stuff on the plate.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#38]
This reminds me of the guy on here that bought a bunch of lowers .
He posted that he bought them to resell.

We told him not to do it . I think they started showing up in the EE. He got a visit.
Not sure what happened to him.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They will followup.

Me but it wasn't for a multiple gun visit.  It was for an 03 FFL inventory.  Agent told me they were making inroads into border states because of gun smuggling to Mexico.  Apparently, there's a big market for Mosin Nagants by cartel members or something.

Seriously? Considering the pieces I've seen in the photos, I'd say there was more scratch around than slumming it with Mosins.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will followup.

Seriously? Considering the pieces I've seen in the photos, I'd say there was more scratch around than slumming it with Mosins.  

Considering that C&R guns are 50 years old or older*, why else would ATF harass 03s?  Agent told me point blank that the reason for the visit was to determine if I was funneling C&R firearms to Mexico.

I let my 03 lapse after this encounter.

*Yes I am aware of exceptions.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

We told him not to do it . I think they started showing up in the EE. He got a visit.

What if you bought complete rifles to sell the lowers and keep the uppers for cheaper?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Someone here posted such a call/visit.  It was a painless, two minute front door, no big deal discussion.  No drama.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They will followup.

Considering that C&R guns are 50 years old or older*, why else would ATF harass 03s?  Agent told me point blank that the reason for the visit was to determine if I was funneling C&R firearms to Mexico.

I let my 03 lapse after this encounter.

*Yes I am aware of exceptions.  

Good point. Why would they do anything though? This thread is a perfect example. I think the Mexican border thing is just another form of incrementalism and soon all states will have the multiple guns form. After we all get used to the BATFE showing up on our doorstep, they'll ask for inspections, etc. I know, tinfoil, but who would've guessed 8 years ago we'd be running guns to drug cartels?

ETA and keep in mind this was all done by fiat, not laws passed by Congress.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if you bought complete rifles to sell the lowers and keep the uppers for cheaper?

If you're buying firearms (lowers, of any type) for the sole purpose of resale and you don't have an FFL, you're buying yourself a ticket to Club Fed.

It's that simple.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought three lowers tonight from a home-based FFL. Not in a border state. I feel safe.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I bought three lowers tonight from a home-based FFL. Not in a border state. I feel safe.

You are for now.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't buy them with the intention of reselling them.
If you have them and decide you would like to reduce your collection later it's ok.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are for now.  

Well, as a C&R licensee, I signed away much of my rights to privacy to the ATF anyway.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't buy them with the intention of reselling them.
If you have them and decide you would like to reduce your collection later it's ok.

Good to know.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Back in the Clinton days, I didn't get a visit but I did get a phone call.

LOL. Yes, I told them why I purchased 10 AR-15 receivers in one go. Since then, I've always wondered if that answer has anything to do with why I get "screened very carefully" by the TSA.  Or maybe it was because of the letter to my Senator?  In it, I asked that he resign, as he had shown no interst in protecting the Constitution of the US.

Aloha, Mark
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top