BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2012 6:55:38 PM EDT
Simple is sometimes the best answer.

http://minekafon.blogspot.com/

The second video gives you the idea.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be a lot easier to just gather some FSA members and throw an unlimited EBT card into the field.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It would be a lot easier to just gather some FSA members and throw an unlimited EBT card into the field.

Beat me to it.  First FSA Homeless Shopping Cart Brigade.  They push or pull their carts across the mined areas and it goes Glock!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#3]
As soon as military procurement gets a hold of it it'll have titanium legs, be laser guided, GPS enabled and tracked, and make fucking coffee.  Cheap, simple ideas don't get bought.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems like a fail of an idea.  All it does is create a very narrow mine-free corridor.  De-mining operations have to cover very large swaths very precisely in order to avoid missing any.

Turn that thing into a rolling cylinder and it might be useful.  With a means to propel it.  Which basically turns it into a de-mining vehicle, of which there are many.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Hop, skip, jump, ka-blam!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Better Idea

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#7]
dont need to propell it... sweep paths through the field in the normal method and drag is back and forth on a rope....
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Seems like a fail of an idea.  All it does is create a very narrow mine-free corridor.  De-mining operations have to cover very large swaths very precisely in order to avoid missing any.

Turn that thing into a rolling cylinder and it might be useful.  With a means to propel it.  Which basically turns it into a de-mining vehicle, of which there are many.

yup.

this thing is a bad idea. it'll roll all over the place, then you have a gps "map" of where it went... which could be off by a couple of meters. that's not good enough for me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought this was a cooler idea :)

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll stick with line charge launches
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:48:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup.

this thing is a bad idea. it'll roll all over the place, then you have a gps "map" of where it went... which could be off by a couple of meters. that's not good enough for me.

.mil GPS is WAY more accurate than civilian GPS. They are accurate within inches.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:57:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup.

.mil GPS is WAY more accurate than civilian GPS. They are accurate within inches.

Maybe if used in a differential mode, but generally since SA was turned off they are about the same.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:27:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Seems inefficient.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:54:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Much too small of a footprint. Wet a basketball, or any ball, and roll it across a floor, and note how big of an area gets wet. The contact surface is so small that you would need tens of thousands, at least to do anything significant. In my opinion, and it's only that, having had these things contact mines and blow them up, can provide a sense of safety to the population that is not actually there. The people may then, thinking that a path is cleared, enter the area and come into contact with a mine that was missed.

If he is going to use a wind powered device that is disposable and cheap, in that same vein, he needs something different. If you notice , some of the toys he showed were cylindrical. A cylinder would provide a drastically larger footprint. The surface could be feathered in a unidirectional manner, which would allow the wind to push it by getting under the "feathers" , and using the same cushioned footprint as the ball shape, they would compact into a flat surface once on the ground. The only way you would be able to get enough of them in the area would be to take that concept, and make it a cylindrical inflatable device, weighted on the inside, that you could transport flat, and blow up on scene. You could transport a large number, get them operational easily using a air pump running from vehicle, and deploy them. Still though it leaves a lot to be desired.

You would need a good number of them, since you are looking at a one to one ratio , mine to device. The best thing, is just to do it in a conventional manner with mine clearing equipment.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:58:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'll stick with line charge launches
There are multiple mine designs that are resistant to explosive overpressure.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top