Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 6:06:44 PM EDT
My oldest brother in-law who is 22 is a bit of a man child but hes coming out of that stage. He's been attending a cultish christian collage and after 3 years he finally has had enough and is dropping out and getting a job. He's had 0 interest in firearms before, besides airsofts......

He shocked me the other day when he requested a rifle for a Christmas present when my wife asked him what he wanted. I was going to spend $50 and get him a decent pocket knife. I blew him off at first and then realized....I have this .22 setting up at the FFL that I accidentally won off GB for $35. I didn't want it so I left it under consignment.

So whats the hive say? Knife or save some $$$ and give him a single shot JC Higgins Model 41 .22Lr? I know its not "cool" but it'd be a good gun to learn to shoot with.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you going to hacksaw it first?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]
A bolt .22 is the best rifle to learn how to shoot on other than a BB gun (you learn bullet drop quick). It may not be an AR or .300 Win Mag, but ammo is cheap and he won't develop a flinch.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No but I'll probably refinish the stock and reblue it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#4]
What does a cultish Christian collage look like?

Give him the .22
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not get him what he wants and help grow the ranks
of firearms owners.  Then, take him out to the range, teach
him proper safety and shooting technique, and spend some
quality time with him?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No but I'll probably refinish the stock and reblue it.

Meh, close enough. This works.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Start him off with a FAL, it would be an insult to give him a .22

.22 + 1k good ammo makes a perfect first gun to learn on, sure beats a $50 knife

Mosin for Christmas next year

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My oldest brother in-law who is 22 is a bit of a man child but hes coming out of that stage. He's been attending a cultish christian collage and after 3 years he finally has had enough and is dropping out and getting a job. He's had 0 interest in firearms before, besides airsofts......

He shocked me the other day when he requested a rifle for a Christmas present when my wife asked him what he wanted. I was going to spend $50 and get him a decent pocket knife. I blew him off at first and then realized....I have this .22 setting up at the FFL that I accidentally won off GB for $35. I didn't want it so I left it under consignment.

So whats the hive say? Knife or save some $$$ and give him a single shot JC Higgins Model 41 .22Lr? I know its not "cool" but it'd be a good gun to learn to shoot with.

Not a big "collage" feller yerself, are ya?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Safety
The Cardinal Rules of Firearms Safety

1. All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.

2. Never let the muzzle point at anything you are not willing to destroy.

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target and you have made the decision to fire.

4. Identify your target and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything you have not positively identified.

ETA: I don't know, but as much as it might be taken for granted sometimes new shooters just DON'T get these rules.. for some it takes a while for it to sink it.  Just the level of consciousnesses and awareness that is required just isn't there for some folks.  Good luck to you anyway.  First, I'd invite him as a shooting buddy for multiple outings, and only then if you get the idea that he actually gives a shit about the 4 rules (and you followed up with plenty of links to threads and news articles of disaster stories where somebody killed their own family member, or had some "accident" where the gun just "wen't off" and other such examples (including the DEA Professional fotay operator video, etc), then the .22 would be a great gift.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r316/MACDD/228px-PensacolaChristian.jpg

.22 + 1k good ammo makes a perfect first gun to learn on, sure beats a $50 knife

This is more of what I was thinking

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r316/MACDD/228px-PensacolaChristian.jpg

This is more of what I was thinking

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg7/heavenly_angellourdes/b66a00c9.jpg

"Hungry for His Presence" wow

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#12]
As long as you don't think he is too immature and might have an accident or do something stupid with it then the choice seems clear. He asked for a .22 rifle and you happen to have access to one at an inexpensive price. As long as you make sure he gets the knowledge to handle it safely and maintain it then it sounds like a great idea.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As long as you don't think he is too immature and might have an accident or do something stupid with it then the choice seems clear. He asked for a .22 rifle and you happen to have access to one at an inexpensive price. As long as you make sure he gets the knowledge to handle it safely and maintain it then it sounds like a great idea.

I'd submit if he's too immature at 22 to own a rifle, he's probably too immature
to drive, or own a knife.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#14]
In for the LULZ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top