Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 4:25:37 PM EDT
So I had some extra gear that I didn't need, I had got it in a package deal. I decided to list it all on Craigslist, and put that I was open to trades for firearms, ammo, etc. The gear I had consisted of 3 new Camelback MULES, a Blackhawk Omega vest, some random MOLLE pouches and 2 small MOLLE packs (like camelbacks but without bladders), and a new set of Gall elbow and knee pads. I had them all priced separately, totaling around $140. Here's what I got in trade:

It's a Lee Enfield No4 MK1 .303 British. Unfortunately sporterized, however it was apparently done by Golden State Arms Corp., it's stamped Santa Fe Special. Bore is shiny, can't see any major defects. Came with a 10 round mag, and 10 rounds of the guys handloads. I know nothing about these lol. All I knew is that this guy wanted all my gear, and I figured it would be easier to sell this rifle, than wait and try to sell half a dozen random items on craigslist. I've done some research, but damn there's a lot out there about these things, being they were produced for so long. I don't really want to keep it, mostly because you can't find surplus ammo for it anymore, and I'm not really into "collecting" yet. I have a few other milsurp rifles, but there's still ammo out there for them that's less than $1/round, so I don't mind them. Still not sure how I did, comments? Info?

Note: Yes I see the rear sight pin has a piece of wire holding it in, I will remedy this in the morning

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice. I like it, OP.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#2]
A bunch of nylon you couldn't use for a rifle you can? Good trade in my book, even if the rifle isn't ideal (I speak of it's chambering, primarily).

If nothing else it's a solid trunk gun
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]
OP you know what to do. Return it to its original configuration. I think you came out about even money wise. I wouldn't pay much more than $140 for that poor Lee Enfield.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I found this on another site.  "the Santa Fe was a collection of surplus parts assembled on a investment cast receiver. later names for the company were National Ordnance, and Federal Arms.

the gun is over priced, and has no collector interest at all. any value is in how it might do for a hunting rifle."
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Restore it and shoot it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]
First of all, dump those reloads. You don't know what sort of load the guy used, and whether he was even reasonably careful in reloading them. If you value your life, you'll pull the bullets, dump the powder, and save the components for when you can reload them yourself. Then if you blow the gun up, you'll know who to blame.

Secondly, I would NEVER shoot a rifle built on one of those Santa Fe receivers. I've never seen one of the Enfields, but I can tell you that the 03 Springfields that Santa Fe built were junk.

Try to find someone to swap that rifle to, and find an original Enfield.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

A bunch of nylon you couldn't use for a rifle you can? Good trade in my book, even if the rifle isn't ideal (I speak of it's chambering, primarily).

If nothing else it's a solid trunk gun

This was mostly my sentiment. I don't need a bunch of camelbacks, and I figured pretty much any gun holds a bit more value than a bunch of fabric.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

First of all, dump those reloads. You don't know what sort of load the guy used, and whether he was even reasonably careful in reloading them. If you value your life, you'll pull the bullets, dump the powder, and save the components for when you can reload them yourself. Then if you blow the gun up, you'll know who to blame.

Secondly, I would NEVER shoot a rifle built on one of those Santa Fe receivers. I've never seen one of the Enfields, but I can tell you that the 03 Springfields that Santa Fe built were junk.

Try to find someone to swap that rifle to, and find an original Enfield.

No I didn't plan on shooting the reloads, and the guy even said HE doesn't shoot other peoples reloads. However I do reload my own stuff, so I told him I'd take them for the brass and bullets, if I decide to keep the rifle. And yes, my intent is to flip this gun, but ya never know sometimes these things can grow on you.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP you know what to do. Return it to its original configuration. I think you came out about even money wise. I wouldn't pay much more than $140 for that poor Lee Enfield.

Yep.

Poor Enfield.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd take that rifle tot he nearest gun show with a $250 price tag on it and let somebody haggle me down to $200. He thinks he got a deal and you do. Then, I'd take that $200 and buy reloading components or magazines.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'd take that rifle tot he nearest gun show with a $250 price tag on it and let somebody haggle me down to $200. He thinks he got a deal and you do. Then, I'd take that $200 and buy reloading components or magazines.

This is probably what will end up happening

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Just remember about Rule: 303
-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I think you did well.  A bunch of bullshit < a rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top