Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2012 3:19:29 PM EDT
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-11-19/maryland-moves-to-big-ten-lefty-driesell-acc-buck-williams-john-lucas

So much for the ACC staying united
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#1]
they suck ... no loss to the acc

they have since gary williams left.

later turtles
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
they suck ... no loss to the acc

they have since gary williams left.

later turtles

Debby Yow fucked them good.  Hope she keeps it up.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The Big 10 gets Maryland, we get Notre Dame.  That's a good trade.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And probably UCONN.  . I'd rather have Louisville or PSU or even Navy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
that's what happens when you're losing money and have to drop sports programs because of it.  i think maryland stands to make and extra $8 million or so a year by joining the big10.  and the ACC will probably be adding connecticut, so i think it's a net gain for the conference.
imo, i don't think the big10 should add maryland or rutgers. 14 is too many teams imo. and if they wanted to add a couple more schools, they should have held those spots open in case a couple of bigger name schools wanted to join in the future.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#6]
You lost Maryland and the sky is falling?  Gimme a break.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#7]
It's all about having Maryland giving your conference TV coverage in the DC/Baltimore market.  It's a big reason the SEC was waving big bucks in front of Maryland to come join them a couple of years ago.

ACC will probably still be in the DC market because of UVA coverage and that will still give them viewers in Baltimore.  I can see ACC really pushing for Rutgers to join so they can get into both the New York City and Philadelphia TV markets.  Adding UConn would get ACC into the northern New York City suburbs market and into parts of the Boston market.

ACC may actually make out better by losing Maryland and making room to add two teams that bring access to even bigger TV markets than what Maryland takes to the Big Ten.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#8]
$50 million to leave the ACC.  Evidently they think they can fight that legally.  We will see.

Definitely didn't see that coming.  I thought a charter member of the ACC would be a life-member.  Although I'm nostalgic for the old 8 team ACC, I'm sure we will add a member that fits in academically.

ETA:  Football has jacked up everything in the NCAA.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#9]
With Notre Dame joining in football, the ACC looks like it might have a good football conference finally
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
With Notre Dame joining in football, the ACC looks like it might have a good football conference finally

That's news to me.   Last I heard they were only one toe in with a commitment to playing only 5 ACC games a year and sharing none of their football revenue.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Football money > basketball money
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Rutgers to the B1G tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's news to me.   Last I heard they were only one toe in with a commitment to playing only 5 ACC games a year and sharing none of their football revenue.

Dunno.

I heard they were joining the ACC?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno.

That is correct (but I'm not sure about the football revenue).  All other sports are full membership.  I actually look at it as a win-win.  ACC gets Notre Dame five times in football, which helps their crappy football image which is well-earned.  ND's other sports will fit in well.  Lacrosse will be off the charts with UVA, UNC, Duke, ND, and Syracuse.  It would be even better if Maryland didn't take their ball elsewhere.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno.

That is correct (but I'm not sure about the football revenue).  All other sports are full membership.  I actually look at it as a win-win.  ACC gets Notre Dame five times in football, which helps their crappy football image which is well-earned.  ND's other sports will fit in well.  Lacrosse will be off the charts with UVA, UNC, Duke, ND, and Syracuse.  It would be even better if Maryland didn't take their ball elsewhere.

ND will wind up a full member very quickly.  

MD's athletic department is broke.  They spent a ton of money upgrading facilities and adding suites that they couldn't sell, and are absolutely desperate for money. I think Maryland has cut something like 7 sports just in the past year thanks to Debbie Yow's mismanagement when she was AD. The owner of Under Armor is a UMD grad and will be footing the bill for the exit fee.

The concern for the ACC is if Clemson or FSU leave.  Don't think it will happen, as the SEC doesn't want or need them - SCAR doesn't want Clemson, and UF doesn't want FSU.  The big ACC targets for the SEC are UNC and UVA.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#16]
There is no God, but SAC and ACC is it's messenger.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dunno.

MD's athletic department is broke.  They spent a ton of money upgrading facilities and adding suites that they couldn't sell, and are absolutely desperate for money. I think Maryland has cut something like 7 sports just in the past year thanks to Debbie Yow's mismanagement when she was AD. The owner of Under Armor is a UMD grad and will be footing the bill for the exit fee.

The concern for the ACC is if Clemson or FSU leave.  Don't think it will happen, as the SEC doesn't want or need them - SCAR doesn't want Clemson, and UF doesn't want FSU.  The big ACC targets for the SEC are UNC and UVA.  

That's funny as hell.  UVA hasn't sold out Scott Stadium in a decade (excluding the 5 years Tech played there and showed up with half of Blacksburg).

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#18]

[/quote]That's funny as hell.  UVA hasn't sold out Scott Stadium in a decade (excluding the 5 years Tech played there and showed up with half of Blacksburg).

[/quote]

As a Wahoo, I even found the words UVA and SEC in the same sentence entertaining.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Louisville
would rather be in the ACC as well. As is, The Big East is quickly
turning into the crappy Conference USA that U of L left a few years ago.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno.

That's funny as hell.  UVA hasn't sold out Scott Stadium in a decade (excluding the 5 years Tech played there and showed up with half of Blacksburg).

Doesn't matter.  The SEC wants the expanded TV markets and the academics that go along with UNC and UVA.  They don't need two more good football programs to fill the final two slots.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Louisville would rather be in the ACC as well. As is, The Big East is quickly turning into the crappy Conference USA that U of L left a few years ago.

Fair assessment from a Hoyas fan.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Louisville would rather be in the ACC as well. As is, The Big East is quickly turning into the crappy Conference USA that U of L left a few years ago.

ECU says hi.....again.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I read it as AAC and was pissed.  Thank god it is just sports.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

[/quote]

As a Wahoo, I even found the words UVA and SEC in the same sentence entertaining.

[/quote]

Good job Wahoo, you made me giggle.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

ND didnt join ACC in football.

ND joined ACC in all sports BUT football. In football they remain independent.

It's a good thing too, because if they played an ACC schedule this year, FSU and Clemson would have kicked the shit out of them.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dunno.

Doesn't matter.  The SEC wants the expanded TV markets and the academics that go along with UNC and UVA.  They don't need two more good football programs to fill the final two slots.

UVA has no football culture.  Who's going to be watching SEC games?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno.

You still seem to think that matters.  It doesn't.  Mike Slive wants the name, academics, and TV market.  

And SEC fans will gladly,take the seats UVA fans don't use.  The only capacity crowd dook has had since God knows when is when the played Alabama.

That said, UVA can die in a grease fire for all I care.  I'm still pissed about their 97-yard pick six.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:33:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno.

You still seem to think that matters.  It doesn't.  Mike Slive wants the name, academics, and TV market.  

And SEC fans will gladly,take the seats UVA fans don't use.  The only capacity crowd dook has had since God knows when is when the played Alabama.

That said, UVA can die in a grease fire for all I care.  I'm still pissed about their 97-yard pick six.

Mack Brown should have kept running the ball on that drive.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:36:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ND didnt join ACC in football.

ND joined ACC in all sports BUT football. In football they remain independent.

It's a good thing too, because if they played an ACC schedule this year, FSU and Clemson would have kicked the shit out of them.

As a Clemson fan this makes me

Though our defense sucks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:45:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's all about having Maryland giving your conference TV coverage in the DC/Baltimore market.  It's a big reason the SEC was waving big bucks in front of Maryland to come join them a couple of years ago.

ACC will probably still be in the DC market because of UVA coverage and that will still give them viewers in Baltimore.  I can see ACC really pushing for Rutgers to join so they can get into both the New York City and Philadelphia TV markets.  Adding UConn would get ACC into the northern New York City suburbs market and into parts of the Boston market.

ACC may actually make out better by losing Maryland and making room to add two teams that bring access to even bigger TV markets than what Maryland takes to the Big Ten.

Do people in the DC/Baltimore market even watch Maryland football and the New York market watch Rutgers or UConn?  I guess the cable companies are going to force people to pay for it whether they want the Big10 or ACC(if they have one) networks or not.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:49:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

There is no UVA TV market.  Anyone who is going to be watching SEC football here in Virginia already watches it.  There is no fucking way, zero, nada that the SEC will pick UVA.  In fact, I don't even think the SEC is going to expand further.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:59:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no UVA TV market.  Anyone who is going to be watching SEC football here in Virginia already watches it.  There is no fucking way, zero, nada that the SEC will pick UVA.  In fact, I don't even think the SEC is going to expand further.

I don't think so either. Two years ago everyone was predicting the 16 team super conferences but I don't see it in the SEC.

There was already enough push back from the member teams in the SEC that A&M and Missouri weren't a given. Concessions had to be made to get Missouri in because LSU originally voted against it because they wanted to shuffle the divisions and have Missouri in the west with LSU and they voted no and said no to the travel time and money required to play them in their division. Then an agreement was reached when Florida said they didn't mind the travel and would vote yes if Missouri joined the east.

I guess they could have voted and still got in but I'm pretty sure the SEC didn't want to invite a university without a unanimous vote.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:34:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

UVA TV market consists of central VA and Atlanta.  Even if hypothetically offered, UVA would not leave the ACC.

Not sure why anybody thinks UMD has has a huge television audience in the DC area.  I don't get that impression at all.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Maryland likely doesn't.  But if the Big10 can get the local cable companies to force people to pay for the big 10 network, then they can make a little bit of $ off the New York and DC area markets eventhough they don't watch UMD or Rtugers in any decent numbers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:10:25 AM EDT
[#35]
ND wants nothing to do with FSU or Clemson in football.  They refused to play FSU at home back in the 90s.  Pussies, whiny little bitches.  I bet they still refuse to play FSU at home or at all.

HaM
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:15:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Right???!!!   They'd have to add another digit to the visitor's side of the scoreboard at Scott Stadium.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:22:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do people in the DC/Baltimore market even watch Maryland football and the New York market watch Rutgers or UConn?  I guess the cable companies are going to force people to pay for it whether they want the Big10 or ACC(if they have one) networks or not.

For us in MD, we never know when the games are even on!  If we're lucky, we get 2-3 televised games each season for football and basketball.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:28:15 AM EDT
[#38]
the acc falls apart when duke and unc are not same conference b-ball rivals
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mack Brown should have kept running the ball on that drive.

Fuck you.  I'm going to have nightmares again.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#40]
The big east is now a glorified CUSA...yayyyy
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#41]
a team with 5 losses could end up in a BCS bowl from the ACC....that conference when it comes to football is very weak
clemson needs to find a defense and florida state needs to move to a better conference to be taken seriously
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not certain (though I think it more likely than not)  they'll expand, either, but you're simply fooling yourself if you don't think UVA is on their short list.  As things stand now, the SEC wants UNC and a team from Virginia to give them a TV footprint in NC and VA.  The SEC wants its own network like what the Big Ten has, and adding teams in new television markets means much more money for the conference when it comes time to negotiate their TV deal.  It's not about whether or not people already watch the SEC games as things stand currently, it's how much money the SEC network can pull in by having a team in the geographic footprint of Virginia and North Carolina.  Combined, that's about 6 million households that would carry the new SEC network.

In NC, the SEC doesn't want dook or Wake Forest. .  The SEC would prefer UNC over NCSU.  Conventional wisdom is that UNC would only go to the SEC if UVA went along, also.  Whether it actually happens, who knows.  But to dismiss UVA out of hand is just as laughable as the crowd they had last Thursday night.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
a team with 5 losses could end up in a BCS bowl from the ACC....that conference when it comes to football is very weak
clemson needs to find a defense and florida state needs to move to a better conference to be taken seriously

GT could/will probably have 6 losses and play FSU in the ACCCG.  If they win, they're in the Orange Bowl at 6-6.

ETA:  To be taken seriously, FSU doesn't need to move to another conference so much as simply beat the teams they should beat in the ACC.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
For us in MD, we never know when the games are even on!  If we're lucky, we get 2-3 televised games each season for football and basketball.  

Would people even watch them if they were on just about every week, or would they just watch one of the big SEC games that is on at the same time?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would people even watch them if they were on just about every week, or would they just watch one of the big SEC games that is on at the same time?

We would watch Maryland, as we're either indifferent to teams outside the state, or hate them.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We would watch Maryland, as we're either indifferent to teams outside the state, or hate them.  

The one thing I love about Maryland fans is that they hate dook as much as I do.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not certain (though I think it more likely than not)  they'll expand, either, but you're simply fooling yourself if you don't think UVA is on their short list.  As things stand now, the SEC wants UNC and a team from Virginia to give them a TV footprint in NC and VA.  The SEC wants its own network like what the Big Ten has, and adding teams in new television markets means much more money for the conference when it comes time to negotiate their TV deal.  It's not about whether or not people already watch the SEC games as things stand currently, it's how much money the SEC network can pull in by having a team in the geographic footprint of Virginia and North Carolina.  Combined, that's about 6 million households that would carry the new SEC network.
In NC, the SEC doesn't want dook or Wake Forest. .  The SEC would prefer UNC over NCSU.  Conventional wisdom is that UNC would only go to the SEC if UVA went along, also.  Whether it actually happens, who knows.  But to dismiss UVA out of hand is just as laughable as the crowd they had last Thursday night.

I'm 110% certain no way they would take (2) teams that close together geogrpahically thus making them switch a team to the west that is now in the east. That was the big veto sticking point with Missouri. No way a team from VA and NC enter at the same time.

People also forget when you start stretching out these conferences geographically the cost to travel goes up exponentially. Most schools in the SEC play between 17 and 21 team sports besides football. The SEC is lucky in that about 1/3 make a profit in not only football, basketball, but also womens basketball and baseball (about 1/2) that still leaves a lot of non revenue sports you have to haul literally half way across the country.

The presidents last vote pretty much heard an earful from the athletic backer programs (and let's be honest - at least in the SEC they pull the strings including the money) about how less often they will be playing teams out of the division now. It's now possible to have a 8 year stretch of not playing a team in your own conference.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I'm still trying to understand the Big 10 decision to take them and not 2 other, more competitive athletic programs.

Louisville or someone like Missouri would have made more sense.

Location, location, location. It is about money not athletic prowess.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top