Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2012 11:11:29 AM EDT
I saw the other thread on the tankless hot water heater and didn't want to get it off track.

Are tankless systms (electric) that much more expensive than tank systems? (again, both electric)

If I put a timer on the electric tank, can that save more money than installing a tankless?  I think insulating the hot outgoing pipes as far as possible might be my next step.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#1]
A timer is pointless.  An insulation blanket on the WH and insulated pipes makes good sense.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#2]
A tankless that's electric would require a very large circuit to handle a volume of water.  In order to get the same heat from electric as a gas unit, think a 40kw circuit. That would be a 175 amp circuit, and most homes are setup for 200 amps.  A point of use tankless might be feasible, but not whole home IMO.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A tankless that's electric would require a very large circuit to handle a volume of water.  In order to get the same heat from electric as a gas unit, think a 40kw circuit. That would be a 175 amp circuit, and most homes are setup for 200 amps.  A point of use tankless might be feasible, but not whole home IMO.

THIS
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A timer is pointless.  An insulation blanket on the WH and insulated pipes makes good sense.

I get you guys on the value of a tank here, but recently have seen opinions on here to the contrary of the above....I thought a timer was the way to go with the tank?  Plus, when I feel the tank it is just room termperature,  not hot.  why insulate that?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I get you guys on the value of a tank here, but recently have seen opinions on here to the contrary of the above....I thought a timer was the way to go with the tank?  Plus, when I feel the tank it is just room termperature,  not hot.  why insulate that?

It has been my experience that it is cheaper to maintain an energy level (water temp), than to try and recover from a significant loss.  

However, my hot water demands may be different than yours.  My wife works nights and I work days, plus my daughter (18) is here about half the time.

I would recommend finding the lowest temperature setting acceptable to all and then wrapping that hot water heater with an insulation blanket. Even if you feel the tank is at room temp, it's a good bet that there is heat being radiated from it.    

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I would never buy a tankless.
YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#7]
We installed some electric tankless water heaters on a job out at the beach. Originally we had one for the whole house. It was woefully inadequate. It literally took minutes to get hot water to the laundry machines and then it was just warm. We then installed a couple more at point of use. Same thing. They just couldn't do it.

We ended up installing a propane tank and one propane tankless for the entire house. That did the trick!

This was approx. 7 years ago so maybe the technology has gotten better but electric tankless just don't seem to have what it takes. They work well if you put one under a sink to get hot water at that sink.

This was a second home and the people had $$ and wanted to try the electrics before spending the money on a propane tank.

Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It has been my experience that it is cheaper to maintain an energy level (water temp), than to try and recover from a significant loss.  

However, my hot water demands may be different than yours.  My wife works nights and I work days, plus my daughter (18) is here about half the time.

I would recommend finding the lowest temperature setting acceptable to all and then wrapping that hot water heater with an insulation blanket. Even if you feel the tank is at room temp, it's a good bet that there is heat being radiated from it.    

The above is what I was referring to.  Unless you only use hot water every few days, you will most likely use the same energy to reheat the water as you will to keep it at an even temp.

Also, there is a "minimum" temp (about 140F I think) to keep bacteria from growing in the tank.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

My experience is different; we've found that we've enjoyed significant saving thru the use of a hot water timer. I guess some people realize a savings and others don't.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would never buy a tankless.
YMMV.

explain
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never seen good reviews on electric tankless water heaters.
I had a friend get a gas one and he ended up not liking it either.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I have both electric and propane at my cabin. The propane can keep up with a long shower. The electric is absolutely useless.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Depending on the insulation thickness, it may actually reverse the desired effects due to heat transfer and make it worse than if you had no insulation at all. Do some heat transfer calculations or IM me before committing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:12:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask me how I know.

can you possibly give any more detail?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:13:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Depending on the insulation thickness, it may actually reverse the desired effects due to heat transfer and make it worse than if you had no insulation at all. Do some heat transfer calculations or IM me before committing.

are you talking about for the water tank?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:46:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got a tankless electric heater that feeds my kitchen and a powder room, and at one time the washing machine.  It does draw a lot of current, but for small demands, it works just fine.  Now for a bathroom, a gas point of use heater would supply enough volume for a shower and would be a much better choice than an electric heater.  I'm going to install a gas point of use heater for our bathroom next.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top