Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2012 9:05:17 PM EDT
In MN, to obtain or renew your CCW, you must pass a shooting proficency test. I renewed my permit over the weekend and I believe I scored 250 out of 250

These are the targets that we tested on.

5 years ago when I first took the CCW, the instructor said that it looked like I shot the target with a shotgun.... I had 5 years to improve

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep practicing...

Ever fire under pressure?

Compete?

All good practice.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I am in Illinois and I took the class for Utah non resident, just a 4 hour class no written test no hands on test
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Ohio's proficiency test is a joke. I had fun with it. I wasn't even trying. I did gansta-style shooting (think: Birdman), Western movie style quick draw and point shooting, and a really amusing trick where I closed my eyes and prayed that Allah would guide my bullets.

The scary thing, is that there were some who didn't pass because of the shooting portion.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ohio's proficiency test is a joke. I had fun with it. I wasn't even trying. I did gansta-style shooting (think: Birdman), Western movie style quick draw and point shooting, and a really amusing trick where I closed my eyes and prayed that Allah would guide my bullets.

The scary thing, is that there were some who didn't pass because of the shooting portion.

When I first took my test.... I barely passed.(by a couple points), It was the 2nd or 3rd time ever shooting

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I first took my test.... I barely passed.(by a couple points), It was the 2nd or 3rd time ever shooting

I guess there's some of that. I incorrectly assumed that people going for their Ohio CCW were long-time shooters.

Whoo boy, did I have that wrong.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
New Mexico (supposedly) has the highest standards for the CCW license. I assume that they are referring to the classroom portion, because the shooting test is a joke: you have to shoot 15 rounds at 3 yards, 10 rounds at 7 yards. Each shot is worth 4 points. You need a 72%, or 18 shots, to pass. Target is 12" x 18".

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:45:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't have to take a test to practice my 2nd Amendment rights. I did have to pay a bunch of money and give fingerprints, though, lol.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#8]
TX proficiency is retarded.

I could literally pass the test with my eyes closed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:09:18 AM EDT
[#9]
What range do you need to shoot that target? What time standards? From concealment?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:31:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I didn't have to take a test to practice my 2nd Amendment rights. I did have to pay a bunch of money and give fingerprints, though, lol.

Yep; at least there isn't some stupid training requirement and it's good for your lifetime. I would love to see licensing requirements go away period for everyone everywhere. (like that will happen)

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I guess there's some of that. I incorrectly assumed that people going for their Ohio CCW were long-time shooters.  

It is pretty amazing how many folks you'll have take a CHL class that either a) have only shot a pistol once or twice in their life or b)bring a new gun they've never used to take the test.

A lot of the CHL instructors around here have started putting things like "A CHL class is not a beginner handgun class.  Please be proficient with your pistol before taking the class" on their advertisements.

In my CHL class in 08, there were at least 3 people who failed (2 of which passed on a second attempt).  And like Ohio, Texas has a super easy shooting qualification.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#12]
In Mississippi there is no shooting test...........................figures.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In MN, to obtain or renew your CCW, you must pass a shooting proficency test. .....

Which are all jokes.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is relevant to my interests.  Wife wants to get hers.  Mine is a non-resident from another state.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#15]
In MA you have to pass a safety course.  Which is nothing but 8hrs of bottom of the barrel dribble about which end the bullet comes out of and 50rds of .22lr.  If you don't pass it, you probably did something stupid, like shoot yourself.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Ky's shooting proficiency test is as big a joke as they come. 7 yards, slow fire, 11 out of 20 must hit anywhere on a full size B-27 outline. That means it's okay if 9 out of 20 shots goes flying off God knows where. I was shooting a smiley face. shooting left handed, crotch shots, just to keep from being bored.

ETA: Yes, quite a few struggled.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#17]
People don't understand that multiple wound channels are a good thing.

EDIT:  Before you all start complaining too much about the proficieny tests just wait till "they" get the idea to make the tests more stringent and create a "back-door" limitation on people who will be able to carry.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:59:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

TRUTH

I was astonished by some of the mouth breathers who were in my class,the repetitive (read STUPID) questions and then the qualification portion showed me a lot. God help us.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#19]
What is this "proficiency test" that you speak of?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I renewed my Alabama CCW this morning.

Is the information the same? Yep. Gimmie $20.

Almost the same requirement as a new CCW.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This.  Even CT doesn't have a proficiency test
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#22]
This test discriminates against blind people

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#23]
No permit needed in WY for CW.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#24]
I think a test is a good idea.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Hey Yankee (OP), there's an "R" in taRget.  Just cuz you don't pronounce it when you say it, doesn't mean you can leave it out when you type.

-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think a test is a good idea.

Oh God. Here we go.

"Shall not be infringed"
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Classroom? Testing? What kind of shit is this?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is relevant to my interests.  Wife wants to get hers.  Mine is a non-resident from another state.

A non-shooter might find it a tiny bit challenging.

When I got my CCW, there was a guy who crammed his mag in backwards, a guy who was borrowing a friends gun that he'd never shot, and then there was a guy who literally had never shot a gun before.  

I felt like a world star olympic class super star pistol shooter that day.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Texas CHL SHOOTING TEST

3 yards, 20 rounds
•1 shot, 2 seconds, 5 times
•2 shots, 3 seconds, 5 times
•5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time
7 yards, 20 rounds
•2 shots, 4 seconds, 1 time
•3 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
•1 shot, 3 seconds, 5 times
•5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time
15 yards, 10 rounds
•2 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
•3 shots, 9 seconds, 1 time

from THIS SITE
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Texas CHL SHOOTING TEST

3 yards, 20 rounds

•1 shot, 2 seconds, 5 times

•2 shots, 3 seconds, 5 times

7 yards, 20 rounds

•2 shots, 4 seconds, 1 time

•3 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time

•1 shot, 3 seconds, 5 times

15 yards, 10 rounds

•2 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time

•3 shots, 9 seconds, 1 time

from THIS SITE

Scary.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#31]
KY doesn't have a proficiency test.

We should though.

Regardless I train at least twice a month.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#32]
"Self-improvement is masturbation."
- Tyler Durden
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No permit needed in WY for CW.

Nope plus every 12 yr old that passes hunter safety  has just met the requirement for ccw permit.  .... I love my state!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I took my CCW class in a crowded room with 40-60 people.  The instructor opened the door, sat everyone, and started the process of ensuring that everyone had cleared their weapon.  I was surrounded by people who could not release the mag, clear the chamber, and lock it open.  Instructor is lecturing about how to do this with a semi-auto, or alternatively with a wheel gun.  Lady behind me raises her hand says "my gun doesn't work at all like you describe".  Instructor walks over, takes her gun, and he says "well that's because this is not a firearm.  It's a real nice starter pistol, though".  True story.  All of these people probably got a permit to carry a concealed weapon.  Most of them couldn't unload their weapon without help.  First time in years I've been really scared for my life.  There were bullet holes in the walls from AD's in previous classes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
In MN, to obtain or renew your CCW, you must pass a shooting proficency test. I renewed my permit over the weekend and I believe I scored 250 out of 250

These are the targets that we tested on.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/BFIBri/TRS_I.jpg

5 years ago when I first took the CCW, the instructor said that it looked like I shot the target with a shotgun.... I had 5 years to improve

did you take your test at Bills??
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In MN, to obtain or renew your CCW, you must pass a shooting proficency test.

Anti-gun government shitheads raping free Americans
and stripping them from their human rights to
defend themselves and to bear arms.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top