Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2002 3:43:52 AM EDT
A friend of mine's dog got skunked last night.

Other than tomato juice, does anyone have good ideas about how to get her smelling like a dog again? The tomato juice doesnt work so well.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 3:50:52 AM EDT
[#1]
To be honest, nothing works very well. That skunk smell is really hard to get off. The best thing for it is time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 4:41:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok I just heard this, do not know if it will work, try it what the  heck, Hrydogen peroxide 3 percent solution, nothing stronger, heard it does something that makes the chemicals in the stink break down faster and go away quicker, let me know if it does work, I have to do this at least once a year , but have been spared so far, would like to know if it works.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 4:45:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 5:09:59 AM EDT
[#4]
They have some stuff for that at the pet stores like PetSmart.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 5:42:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I once saw an article, complete with pictures, somewhere...Outdoor Life, maybe??

This article recommended placing the dog in the smoke of a very smoky fire. Something about the smoke...an acid in it???...would neutraulize the skunk odor.

It seems to me the pics showed the dog hog-tied and suspended in the smoke on a spit. [shock] Well above the heat but somehow I think Fido would not enjoy this "cure." [:D]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I am NOT a shill for the company that makes this stuff.  It works on skunk (at least on cats that have been skunked):

[url]http://www.kidsnpetsbrand.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 6:08:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you tried shaving your dog?  :)
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Deskunking Formula
1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 teaspoon liquid soap

Wet the dog, and work the formula through their fur. Leave the mixture on the dog for four or five minutes, and then rinse thoroughly. Throw out any leftover remedy.

I used this remedy on a friends Siberian Husky that took a direct skunk hit, it really worked good.

Do not not save any left over mixture especially in a closed container as the mixture produces oxygen and could burst the container.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I think you're supposed to bury the affected item in your back yard for a few days. I heard that works. Might wanna leave the head exposed...
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 7:22:21 AM EDT
[#10]
AZ_SKY is right. That formula is for a scent killing mixture that bowhunters use. I've used it to great effect on skunk sprayed stuff too.

If you can find it in your area, get some of the Hunters Specialty scent removing soap and use that as the liquid soap in his recipe.  It works really well.

oh you can store the rest of the concoction, it will only react for a day or so and then go inert so you can store it. You just can't tighly cap it for a while.

crash.

Link Posted: 8/13/2002 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Deskunking Formula
1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 teaspoon liquid soap

Wet the dog, and work the formula through their fur. Leave the mixture on the dog for four or five minutes, and then rinse thoroughly. Throw out any leftover remedy.

I used this remedy on a friends Siberian Husky that took a direct skunk hit, it really worked good.

Do not not save any left over mixture especially in a closed container as the mixture produces oxygen and could burst the container.
View Quote
Yup ,This will do it. I also use cedar chips in the hounds kennels too. It will help mask other odors and keep the insect population down also.[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top