Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2002 9:47:19 PM EDT
First of all, I just registered and I'd like to say hello to everyone and Semper Fi to all my Marine brothers and sisters.
I have an AR15 mock M4 that I use for home defense. I usually keep my C-Mag loaded with 10 rounds of 55 gr surplus but that's rather large and cumbersome sometimes, even with a partial load.
I'd like to use my GI mags but I don't know how long I could keep them even partially loaded before the springs fatigue. And I'd rather not do some destructive testing and find out.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#2]
One member here found a 20rnd magazine from Vietnam loaded in his foot locker a few years back.  He took it to the range and shot it no problems.  

If you are concerned about spring fatigue there's two things to worry about.  Excessive loading and unloading of the magazine, and overloading of the spring.  Springs are relatively cheap, check [url]http://www.gunsprings.com[/url].  A regularly loaded spring in a static position should NOT experience much wear at all.  if it does....it's crap and should be replaced.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys. I'm in Hoffman Estates, BeeKeeper. Nice to meet someone nearby. :D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top