BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/16/2012 3:39:37 PM EDT
United Airlines can suck it

...Until they make this right.

They make a USMC vet with a traumatic brain injury CRAWL to his seat. Then, as he climbs up, his catheter bag snags and busts open, and no one would help him clean up.

My company expenses about $9k a year in airfare. It's not much, but United won't be seeing a dime of that. I hope you find it in yourself to do the same. I'll be writing their customer relations and letting them know this, as well.

F**K United.

sorry if a dupe
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know if it's a dupe but even if it is it deserves to be duped.

He was 'disrespected' in a way that most who use that term won't ever encounter.

I have to agree-United treated him like shit.

It was Chicago O'Hare, so not that surprising.  Butch O'Hare must be rolling in his grave.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a dupe and I'm not sure it was ever confirmed to have actually happened.
If it did, fry them.

-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
If true, then fuck United, but its only one side of the story.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm on a phone... Anyone have some more sources?

Maybe it's because I have two immediate family members who are paraplegics, but it pisses me off not simply because he's a vet, but because he's a human being.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#5]
if this is true I have to say I am truly shocked not just at the Airline but also the people around him

very disappointing and sad

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm pretty sure this is not the whole story.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure this is not the whole story.

You guys are jumping to conclusions pretty quickly. The article is his account. You guys are acting like the attendant dumped him to the ground on purpose. What are they supposed to do to clean up the urine on him? They don't have extra shirts and catheter bags laying around. Crawling to his seat? How many feet away and did he just start crawling on his own? Come on...
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#8]
That article is on Russia Today propaganda site.  Is there a better source available?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmm. Well, if it's true, yeah, fuck all the staff there. Also, fuck every single goddamned motherfucking able bodied adult on that flight.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#10]
How do you watch someone crawl to their seat and not offer some assistance unless he declined
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#11]
According to his account, they would not reseat him to the front where he wouldn't have had to crawl.

Sounds reasonable.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
United Airlines can suck it

...Until they make this right.

They make a USMC vet with a traumatic brain injury CRAWL to his seat. Then, as he climbs up, his catheter bag snags and busts open, and no one would help him clean up.

My company expenses about $9k a year in airfare. It's not much, but United won't be seeing a dime of that. I hope you find it in yourself to do the same. I'll be writing their customer relations and letting them know this, as well.

F**K United.

sorry if a dupe

I dont use airlines anyway.

Also, Fuck United, and FUCK the TSA too.

I piss in their faces.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#13]
AirServ, the people pushing his wheelchair, are not United Airlines employees, they are contractors.  

Also, most gate agents or flight crew can't do things like help someone physically to their seat, push wheelchairs, lift bags into the overhead bins, etc.  If anything goes wrong, or someone gets hurt, they would be "cast to the wolves".   A pilot friend of mine was tired of watching the circus that was the bags being brought to the passengers on the jet bridge, so he decided to help the process.  He hurt his back, and the airline declined his workers comp.  They said that carrying bags was not in his job description, so he should not have been doing it.  

I feel for the man, and I respect his service, but how many of you would help clean up his urine, without any protective gear?

Many levels of fail here, thats for sure.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Down fucking right UNACCEPTABLE! Who the FUCK do they think they are?

Never! doing business with them again.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#15]
MY GOD!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Sickening.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I believe it after the treatment my wife got from Airserve in Chicago.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I feel for the man, and I respect his service, but how many of you would help clean up his urine, without any protective gear?

I would have. I have gloves in my bag always or I would have demanded the stewardess provide some.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
According to his account, they would not reseat him to the front where he wouldn't have had to crawl.

Sounds reasonable.

Were the front rows emergency exit rows?

Brian
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds reasonable.

Brian

I fly every couple weeks and have been for the past 4 years. I have never seen a commercial airliner with an exit row in the front of cabin (front seats). Not saying it doesn't exist somewhere, but not on any Airbus, Boeing, Embraer, McDonnell Douglas, etc. I've ever flown on.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't care who you are or what your company does.

This is un_Fucking_cool

In my company heads would fucking roll.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#23]
After my recent experiences with United, I find this not only plausible, but am surprised that the airline staff didn't set him aflame and dance around him in their underwear.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That article is on Russia Today propaganda site.  Is there a better source available?

There are a number of links on his lawyer's site, including one from UPI where United says that their investigtaion doesn't support this version of the events. Of course, that's to be expected, but I am going to withhold judgement until more information is available. I don't trust anyone, especially when there is money involved.

https://twitter.com/IL_Trial_Lawyer

(Can't hotlink from my tablet.)

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I prefer Delta or SWA anyways
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Did he not notify the airline that he is in a wheelchair and they may need to provide additional services and accomodate easily accessible seating prior to his booking his flight?  Or did he just show up in his USMC jump suit thinking it would all be handled.

And flight attendants should not have to clean up urine and private companies should not have to cater to all customers.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds reasonable.

Brian

I fly every couple weeks and have been for the past 4 years. I have never seen a commercial airliner with an exit row in the front of cabin (front seats). Not saying it doesn't exist somewhere, but not on any Airbus, Boeing, Embraer, McDonnell Douglas, etc. I've ever flown on.

I avoid United at pretty much all costs, but the first row of coach on a 757 (for Delta at least) are exit row seats because of the doors also the little Q400's that Alaska uses for short hops the front row are exit seats as well.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Nevermind.

RR

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:18:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Delta merged with United.  I have family that works at an airline and from what I hear all the time I'm suprised that any of them are still in business.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:26:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

After my recent experiences with United, I find this not only plausible, but am surprised that the airline staff didn't set him aflame and dance around him in their underwear.

It's stories like this that make me happy that in my limited flying experience, I've been fortunate enough to be flying with a good airline.

I really enjoyed my Emirates flight to Australia, and my Virgin Atlantic flight to Nevada. The Emirates flight especially, if mainly for the female flight attendants.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Southwest for the fucking WIN.

They board uniformed service personell before anyone else (except UA's and disabled, OK), and they make flying with a firearm the easiest damn thing in the world.

Side note...
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#33]
The first row in 737s and airbuses are first class. I suppose it could be possible but it sounds very strange to have that much happen to one guy. I may be able to see the possibility of him getting dumped out of the chair. It was his originating city, not Chicago, where that happened and it can be difficult to find good help. The aisle chair is SOP. I can't see a FA saying you have to crawl. I could see though that there may have been a delay and he was pissed.

IDK this doesn't make a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:02:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Delta merged with United.  I have family that works at an airline and from what I hear all the time I'm suprised that any of them are still in business.

wrong

it was continental that merged with United and it went to shit even further.

i use to fly united exclusively for all my asian business trips, not any more.

Continental Airlines was a major American airline that operated from 1934 to 2012, when it merged with United Airlines.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Airlines#cite_note-Peterson-2][2][/url] On May 3, 2010, Continental Airlines, Inc. and UAL, Inc. (the parent company of United Airlines) announced a merger via a stock swap, and on October 1, 2010, the merger closed and UAL changed its name to United Continental Holdings, Inc. During the integration period, both airlines were running separate operations under direction of a combined leadership team of the new parent company based in Chicago.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Airlines#cite_note-4][4][/url]

Continental had ownership interests and brand partnerships with several carriers. Continental was a minority owner of ExpressJet Airlines, which operated under the 'Continental Express' trade name but was a separately managed and public company. Chautauqua Airlines also flew under the Continental Express identity, and Cape Air, Colgan Air, CommutAir, and Silver Airwaysfeed Continental's flights under the Continental Connection identity. Continental did not have any ownership interests in these companies.

Delta Air Lines, Inc. (NYSE: DAL), operating as Delta Air Lines, is a major United States airline headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, in the United States.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines#cite_note-10][10][/url] The airlineoperates an extensive domestic and international network serving all continents except Antarctica. Delta Air Lines and its subsidiaries operate over 5,000 flights every day with approximately 75,000 employees.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines#cite_note-delta_stats_facts-11][11][/url] The airline's hub at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is the world's busiest airport by passenger traffic (88 million passengers per year) and number of landings and takeoffs. Delta is the sixth-oldest operating airline by foundation date, and the oldest airline still operating in the United States. Delta Air Lines is one of the four founding members of the SkyTeam airline alliance,[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines#cite_note-delta_stats_facts-11][11][/url] the other three being Korean Air, Air France, and Aeroméxico. The loyalty program for Delta Air Lines is SkyMiles. Delta Air Lines is the world's largest airline in terms of fleet size, revenue passenger-kilometers flown, and scheduled passenger traffic

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Also, most gate agents or flight crew can't do things like help someone physically to their seat, push wheelchairs, lift bags into the overhead bins, etc.  If anything goes wrong, or someone gets hurt, they would be "cast to the wolves".

I have a family member who's a flight attendant and I was told the exact same thing. You open yourself up to tons of liability.

Quoted:

I wouldn't even with protective gear.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

They board uniformed service personell before anyone else (except UA's and disabled, OK), and they make flying with a firearm the easiest damn thing in the world.

Side note...

+1, i fly too much for work and SWA is always smooth and they get the flights going quick. i love the A-list TSA lane, no wait.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Un-fucking-believable.

I hope he gets millions.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:11:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#39]
There are some stupid posters in this thread with little imagination.  But hey, reading is for faggots.  

There is one side to every story.  Almost as bad as a cop thread.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They board uniformed service personell before anyone else

So does United.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Flying isn't fun anymore.

All of the major US based airlines think we suck and they hate us.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

trying flying inside Europe, that's fucked up.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have. I have gloves in my bag always or I would have demanded the stewardess provide some.

No protective gear?  All they need are plastic gloves and EVERY flight I have been on this year EVERY flight attendant had latex gloves on. So fuck them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

AirServ, the people pushing his wheelchair, are not United Airlines employees, they are contractors.  

Also, most gate agents or flight crew can't do things like help someone physically to their seat, push wheelchairs, lift bags into the overhead bins, etc.  If anything goes wrong, or someone gets hurt, they would be "cast to the wolves".   A pilot friend of mine was tired of watching the circus that was the bags being brought to the passengers on the jet bridge, so he decided to help the process.  He hurt his back, and the airline declined his workers comp.  They said that carrying bags was not in his job description, so he should not have been doing it.  

Many levels of fail here, thats for sure.

I'm not sure if this is all true, I flew with my son last year (I do not travel much) and the flight attendant helped me and my son to our seat, put my son's carry on over head, and continued down the line helping passengers store their luggage.  When my daughter flew for the first time she had horrible anxiety and had to be in a wheel chair, I had to receive special permission proving I was her biological mother, (which was an ordeal since she looks like her father and we have different last names,) so that I could stay with her in the terminal.  When she boarded her plane two flight attendants pushed her wheel chair and helped her to her seat and came out to tell me all was well.  

As others have said, its true the airlines is ultimately responsible but what about the others around the man?  I would never sit by and watch any man, vet or not crawl to his seat.  I would gladly and compassionately do my best to help him clean up after such a horrible ordeal.  I've worked in prisons where inmates have thrown feces and urine on me and I have never (thankfully) contracted any disease.  Anyone who would sit in their seat and say "The airline should do something" are the same type of people who allowed Hitler to exterminate the Jews, sheep.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#46]
As much as I realize United is far from perfect, this is probably more of a problem with Airserv. The procedure is to pre-board him, transfer him from his wheelchair to an aisle chair (if his wheelchair wont fit), then take him to his seat.  So as to why passengers didn't help him, they were all at the gate while this happened and when they boarded all they knew is there's a guy sitting in a seat, covered in blankets that smells like piss. What do you do?  Cause further embarrassment by saying "Excuse me sir, I've noticed you may have pissed yourself, can I help you?" It was probably fairly awkward for everyone.

The flight attendants "refused" to switch his seats to the first row because that was most likely first class, and/or likely full,  and they don't have the authority to give those seats away based on someone having problems getting to their coach seat.

While I feel for the guy being soaked in his own urine and humiliated for hours, I don't know what his expectations were. Did he want the flight attendants to undress him and put clean clothes on him? That's the only realistic solution if he wanted a comfortable flight.

He should have asked to be removed from the flight and spoken with a supervisor about his ordeal and worked his way up the chain until there was some resolution. Soaked in urine with a now broken catheter bag on a two hour flight? Did he expect to just piss himself? You couldn't pay me to stay on that flight. He probably could have worked out an upgrade on the next flight or gotten some other type of compensation but I guarantee you someone would have listened if he'd have tried.

I have parapalegics board my flights regularly and have never had an incident, nor can imagine one, where someone would be "forced" to crawl to their seat unless he got upset that he couldn't get first class and said "fuck it, I'll do it myself". Every single one has been treated with dignity and respect by the flight crew and the Airserv employees.  The guy sounds like he had a really bad day and if things did happen the way he says, sue them into the ground, but I'm quite skeptical that his story is the whole truth.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#47]
I flew for the first time accompanied almost a year ago in December.  Because I have a visual impairment, we called the airline(United) and they arranged to have someone meet me at O'Hare, accompany me thru TSA, make sure I got to my gate, got someone to get me to my gate in Denver, even made sure I got to my changed gate, and made sure when I landed in Burbank to get me to the shuttle to go to my hotel.  Process repeated on the way back home.

I sent United a nice e-mail telling them how nice their service is.

I feel bad for the man involved in their story but I feel there is more to the story, and after reading the thread, seems like it's an AirServ issue, not United.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

trying flying inside Europe, that's fucked up.  

Hong Kong and main land China mostly. Even with a language barrier it's better than the states.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds reasonable.

Brian

Q400 does IIRC - ~70 seat regional twin t-prop
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#50]
You should have been with me at Atlanta's airport when I watched the TSA hassle a young wounded VET.   The young man had lost both legs but still the TSA made him into a dog and pony show.   I sickened me and other passengers.   When the TSA goons noticed the unfavorable attention they sent the fellow on his way.

God Damn the TSA

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top