Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2002 4:47:06 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone has used or owns one of those cheap night vision monoculars that they sell at Big-5. It is a Night Owl 3.1-power with IR illuminator. Its about $150. Is it worth it. I just want something to play with and dont want to spend tons of dough, but also dont want to throw away $150. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Its about $150. Is it worth it.
View Quote

No.

Cheapest good NV out there is the AN/PVS-2 weaponsight, they go for about $500 in refurbished condition.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Get yourself a Sony Handycam with IR nightvision...It offers a little bit better picture and it doubles as a camcorder=)
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wouldnt trust anything less than a gen3 monocular.  I have used the gen 2 with ym guard unit and have been less than impressed.  They are no where near their limit of hours and everything is blurry and things are hard to maek out at even 50 yds.  I have used gen 3's in the past and have been more than impressed with them especially in conjuction with peq4 ir lasers
View Quote

Too bad the Gen 3 is at or over (WAY over) $2000.  Good Gen. 2 and Gen. 1+ stuff is available and perfectly usable for a whole lot less money.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wouldnt trust anything less than a gen3 monocular.  I have used the gen 2 with ym guard unit and have been less than impressed.  They are no where near their limit of hours and everything is blurry and things are hard to maek out at even 50 yds.  I have used gen 3's in the past and have been more than impressed with them especially in conjuction with peq4 ir lasers
View Quote

Most NVD have both a objective lens and an eye lens that can be focused independantly.  If you're having that bad of problems with your Gen 2 stuff, you either need to focus it, or it needs overhauled and purged.

I have an ITT Gen 2 Night Mariner monocular that is awesome.  It focuses from 1 foot to infinity and is much much clearer than any Russian or Israeli Gen 1+ or Gen 2 I've seen.  Automatic shutoff and overload protection.  Upwards of 10,000 hours of tube life.  Cost less than $250 on a badly listed ebay auction (retails around $1900).

My father has a Gen 3 monocular from ITT and the only difference I can tell from the Gen 2 is a slight, almost imperceptably better clarity.  The line pairs per millimeter are better, but the light amplification is almost identicle.  If you hold my Gen 2 up to one eye and his Gen 3 up to the other, you can't tell the difference.  Cost $1000 on a buy it now auction (retails around $2700).

An uncle has a cheapo Gen 1+ monocular from Night Owl that he paid around $170 for.  It has a small LED on the front that acts as the IR source.  It is utter crap compared to the Gen 2 or Gen 3.  Without an IR source I think a decent pair of binoculars would gather more light.

If you can't find a good deal, but absolutely have to have an NVD toy to play with, the Night Owl Gen 1 is better than a cardboard tube painted black.  But in my opinion there are much better deals to be had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top