Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2002 9:18:33 AM EDT
heard on local radio -

Greenville, SC has just announced they will install police monitoring cameras in the city, under the guise of "fighting crime."

Its coming, people. Greenville is like a nothing city.

Does anyone know if its a crime to flip a middle finger to one of these cameras??? Maybe I'll go buy me a Bill Clinton mask, and then start warming up my "bird."

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#2]
What's the big deal?  They've been watching you from satellites for years.

[whacko]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What's the big deal?  They've been watching you from satellites for years.

[whacko]
View Quote

REALLY!?!?!?!?

Ummmmmmmm, I gotta go pull out some plants in my garden..............be right back. [8P]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#6]
gman,

Tampa officials put TV cameras in Ybor City (old downtown) to 'reduce crime'. After a year or so they were asked how many perps had been identified/caught. "Er, um, ah, none so far!"
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Big Brother can blow me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw that in the paper this morning, garandman. You'd think that IF this was a true LE effort, as stated in the paper, they would have learned their lessons from Britain's lack of success.

Let us know how your mask works!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#10]
New York City has been using CCTV on a number of areas for years. It's made some friends of mine who liked to score weed in Washington Square Park quite pissed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Dunno about the cameras, but when I was 17, a couple of me and a couple of buddies were driving down the access road, and I saw a cop sitting there.  Being 17, I decided to flip him off.  So I gave him both barrels.  BAM!  Pulled us over, had us step out of the car, cuffed me, and put me in the back of his cruiser for 5-10 minutes.  Told me that he _could_ charge me with "disorderly conduct with an obscene gesture."  I dunno if it was bullshit or not, but, being 17, I about pissed myself.

-Gloftoe
View Quote

He's bullshitting you.  It [u]is not[/u] against the law to give someone the bird, as long as it doesn't "incite an immediate breach of the peace."  But Texas caselaw has determined that a peace officer on duty cannot [u]legally[/u] be offended by obscene gestures or displays directed at them.  Therefore, assuming what you said was true, and didn't leave anything pertinent out, you were most likely falsely arrested when he put you in his cruiser.  After all, he had no legal reason to even pull you over in the first place.  Of course he let you go, because it would have been his ass if he didn't.

[url=http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/pe/pe0004200.html#pe001.42.01]Disorderly Conduct in Texas[/url]

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#12]
They've had these in Cincinnati for a while. Now they are all going to web cams instead of CCTV.

Article from today on a Cinci tv station site about this very topic... [url]http://www.channelcincinnati.com/cin/news/stories/news-160803220020812-130847.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's why you should fight it if it is your neighborhood. I live in an development call Shadowbrook II which is part of the city of San Jose. We're tucked away in a small southern valley called Almaden Vally. We have one friggin trafic light that just went up in at an intersection of residential streets.

So, I happend to notice cameras from the top of the light poles pointing down at each lane into the intersection. On the sides of the cameras is a sticker with a logo from PEEK. Do some research and find it is a traffic monitor company that takes 75% of the fines on average.

Great, but here's the kicker. Our stupid (and they are that dumb) city council votes to put up the monitors to cut-down on the police patrols to save money. There is nothing like having my elected officals saying to all the crooks that my neighborhood is patrolled less. Stupidity at it's best.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#14]
As they say, "It goes with the territory"
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
gman,

Tampa officials put TV cameras in Ybor City (old downtown) to 'reduce crime'. After a year or so they were asked how many perps had been identified/caught. "Er, um, ah, none so far!"
View Quote

Well you forgot that everyone they did arrest was the wrong person. That system is supposed to match up facial scans on people with warrants. What a crock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top